GDT: XXVI: Avs/Leafs, Part Two -- Tyson Barrie, Small Wonder

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Kadri tends to do too much, it's not just that game. He looks selfish and I hope he won't be like that when he gets his real linemates back.

That has always been his game, and frankly always will to an extent. I wouldn't get your hopes up too much there.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Kadri tends to do too much, it's not just that game. He looks selfish and I hope he won't be like that when he gets his real linemates back.

He’s just not a playmaking Centre.

20 points in 27 games with the rotating wingers he’s had this season is pretty good. Not to mention what he does in the faceoff circle. He’s also added some much needed physical play, that we didn’t get from Kerfoot.

I’m totally fine with how he’s played. He didn’t have a good game against TO, but overall it’s been a strong season.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
He’s just not a playmaking Centre.

20 points in 27 games with the rotating wingers he’s had this season is pretty good. Not to mention what he does in the faceoff circle. He’s also added some much needed physical play, that we didn’t get from Kerfoot.

I’m totally fine with how he’s played. He didn’t have a good game against TO, but overall it’s been a strong season.

I'm not questioning his stats or physicality...but if he keeps playing a selfish game I hope his linemates are OK with that long term.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I'm not questioning his stats or physicality...but if he keeps playing a selfish game I hope his linemates are OK with that long term.

I’m not sure I would describe his play as selfish. The empty net stuff at the end of the Leafs game? Yeah... that was selfish, and I think that was a one-time thing.

Overall though, I haven’t seen a selfish hockey player when I’ve watched Kadri this year. He’s a shooter.

We all knew coming into the season that a playmaking winger would be best for his line.

And in the end, if he gets 50 points, wins draws, and is responsible in his own end. That’s exactly what we needed from him.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Well...he needs long-term linemates for starters.

And he's seriously getting short-changed in that category. I believe last night he had Nieto and Compher on his flanks and...eh, that ain't gonna work. Compare that to Calvert and Nuke with the Bellemare, Donskoi/Rants with MacK, and, hell, I think even O'Connor has been better than Compher in some respects. Love Nieto but he's getting really overworked once again and he's just not a guy who can generate offense in any way. And Compher was awful last night, and for the most part has been to start this season.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I’m not sure I would describe his play as selfish. The empty net stuff at the end of the Leafs game? Yeah... that was selfish, and I think that was a one-time thing.

Overall though, I haven’t seen a selfish hockey player when I’ve watched Kadri this year. He’s a shooter.

We all knew coming into the season that a playmaking winger would be best for his line.
Not the empty net...the way he plays in general. He will often lose the puck trying to do too much or take a low % shot instead of passing it to the wing and stuff like that. If you haven't noticed I'm not sure how I can explain it..pay attention tonight and you'll probably see it.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Well...he needs long-term linemates for starters.

And he's seriously getting short-changed in that category. I believe last night he had Nieto and Compher on his flanks and...eh, that ain't gonna work. Compare that to Calvert and Nuke with the Bellemare, Donskoi/Rants with MacK, and, hell, I think even O'Connor has been better than Compher in some respects. Love Nieto but he's getting really overworked once again and he's just not a guy who can generate offense in any way. And Compher was awful last night, and for the most part has been to start this season.
Yeah I agree with the poor linemates since the injuries. Hench says he's always been like that though, we'll see.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah I agree with the poor linemates since the injuries. Hech says he's always been like that though, we'll see.

Yeah, he's not a tremendous playmaker and I can see why it wasn't just the playoff meltdowns that left the Leafs a little frustrated with him. But I think some of those issues will be mitigated once the lineup finally gets reasonably healthy. I still think he works best with someone who can set him up for shots. We'll see who that ends up being.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yeah, he's not a tremendous playmaker and I can see why it wasn't just the playoff meltdowns that left the Leafs a little frustrated with him. But I think some of those issues will be mitigated once the lineup finally gets reasonably healthy. I still think he works best with someone who can set him up for shots. We'll see who that ends up being.
Yeah I'm not sure Bura is a good wing for him. Bura needs to shoot to be effective and Kadri isn't feeding the puck much to anyone.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Not the empty net...the way he plays in general. He will often lose the puck trying to do too much or take a low % shot instead of passing it to the wing and stuff like that. If you haven't noticed I'm not sure how I can explain it..pay attention tonight and you'll probably see it.

No, I know what you’re talking about. It doesn’t really bother me to be honest.

I think it’s partially just his play-style and then the fact he hasn’t built any chemistry with line-mates this year.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Surprisingly, the Leaf getting the most flack is not Jason Spezza, it's Timashov. I was listening on the radio but did he try and force a pass to the covered guy on a 2-on-1 instead of just taking it to the net himself? .
Force would even be putting it lightly. Can't recall the defensemen but I think it was Girard who literally allowed him to have a breakaway while completely taking the pass away, almost standing next to the other Leaf and Timashov still passed the puck.

Naturally, it went right to Girard's blade.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Force would even be putting it lightly. Can't recall the defensemen but I think it was Girard who literally allowed him to have a breakaway while completely taking the pass away, almost standing next to the other Leaf and Timashov still passed the puck.

Naturally, it went right to Girard's blade.

Oof. They should've just stuck with Shore then. But now they can't since they lost Shore on waivers to Winnipeg.

Is Petan really not an upgrade on him? If not the Leafs are having serious depth issues.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Kadri is a bit like a gritty, defensively capable Duchene. I wouldn't ever expect him to be all that great at utilizing his linemates, and the ones he will do the best will be space makers and distributors. Landy and Kadri could work really, really well together. Kadri and MacK would end up dropping gloves over who gets the puck.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Watch this.

View attachment 286811

Note the reach and how he puts the puck forward first... and then he extends the tree trunk legs for puck protection...

...compared to this weak ass **** that Barrie gobbled up no problem...

View attachment 286813

View attachment 286815

...followed by a weak forecheck that Nuke would have smoked Tyson if it was him.

View attachment 286817

It’s just not going to happen.

These plays are nothing alike though. Nichushkin had a clean breakaway with Reilly nowhere close to him.

The other is a routine play down the boards with not much space to work with. Barrie lost the battle too, Jost muscled him off the puck. He only got the puck back because Reilly double teamed Jost and tipped the puck back to Barrie.

Jost is for sure still struggling to find his game but these plays are more alike than the previous two.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Kadri is a bit like a gritty, defensively capable Duchene. I wouldn't ever expect him to be all that great at utilizing his linemates, and the ones he will do the best will be space makers and distributors. Landy and Kadri could work really, really well together. Kadri and MacK would end up dropping gloves over who gets the puck.
I really hope this gets a good shot. It will solve a couple of problems with one move.

rmthomson21

Sep 22, 2015
DMV
The problem with putting Landeskog and Kadri together is that you then have to rely on MacK's left wing, whoever he is, to do a good amount of lifting in the defensive zone and on the forecheck. I don't remember who it was but someone mentioned over the last couple weeks that Calvert was working well with MacK because he forechecked hard and just generated space for the other guys on the line. That's the same role Landeskog fills on that line in the offensive zone, and he still carries a lot of the center duties in the other end.

Reactions: 5280

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The problem with putting Landeskog and Kadri together is that you then have to rely on MacK's left wing, whoever he is, to do a good amount of lifting in the defensive zone and on the forecheck. I don't remember who it was but someone mentioned over the last couple weeks that Calvert was working well with MacK because he forechecked hard and just generated space for the other guys on the line. That's the same role Landeskog fills on that line in the offensive zone, and he still carries a lot of the center duties in the other end.
Yeah, but Calvert is a pretty lousy finisher. He would waste a lot of good setups by MacKinnon and Rantanen if he stayed on that line long term.

rmthomson21

Sep 22, 2015
DMV
Yeah, but Calvert is a pretty lousy finisher. He would waste a lot of good setups by MacKinnon and Rantanen if he stayed on that line long term.
Right, I'm not advocating for that - I'm saying that MacKinnon maybe needs a guy like Landeskog more than a guy like Rantanen, so while sticking Landeskog with Kadri might be great in a line matchup sense, it'd be rough on MacKinnon in the long term.

Reactions: McMetal

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

I don't disagree with you, but didn't Landy and Dutchy not work well together? Like...at all? I mean, I guess it worked when they were LW/RW and MacKinnon was at center, but...

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't disagree with you, but didn't Landy and Dutchy not work well together? Like...at all? I mean, I guess it worked when they were LW/RW and MacKinnon was at center, but...

That was mostly due to Duchene who always had a tough time finding chemistry with wingers.

Landy would help out Kadri a lot I think. For all the good things he does, Kadri doesn't always seem to be good on the cycle, or maintaining possession down low or along the boards. Landy is great at this though.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
That was mostly due to Duchene who always had a tough time finding chemistry with wingers.

Landy would help out Kadri a lot I think. For all the good things he does, Kadri doesn't always seem to be good on the cycle, or maintaining possession down low or along the boards. Landy is great at this though.

Yeah, I've no doubt those two would be an absolute force in the offensive zone, and obviously pretty good in the other two as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad