GDT: XXIX | "Lion Tamers" | Oilers vs. Wild | 12.7.18 | 7:00PM | SN-W

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
He did. He had a whale of a game and stole two points for the Oilers. Give him another start to keep the confidence going against a less-dynamic offense in Minny and play Koski against Shelbyville. It makes sense to me.

He threw up a 850 save% in a loss on home ice not to long ago to the wild. Down on his knees 5 mins left to let in the back breaker.

Meanwhile Koski is 3-0 in his last 3 home starts with a 960 save%

Makes sense to me.

Reactions: Porkleaker

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
6-9-1 on the season, 1-6 in his last 7
890 Save%

Not going to waste my time. He doesnt deserve the start.
Did you watch the last game?

I personally would've went back to Koskinen, but I'm fine with Talbot. This is Hitch though. He runs that hot goalie.

Reactions: The Nuge

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

I personally would've went back to Koskinen, but I'm fine with Talbot. This is Hitch though. He runs that hot goalie.

Yup I did, hes lucky his team bailed him out after letting the first 2 in after 8 shots again.

Down 2-0 in games is a steady theme for Talbot, theres a reason his record and save % are what they are.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Have to be cautious, we barely eeked out wins against bottom feeder LA and STL lately, nothing to be super proud of. Tough next two games.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Talbot played well in the last game guys... guys? ;)

He was a big part of the victory in my mind. The first goal on him was very poor coverage in our own end. Man, that happens too many times. Some of the goals look like replays from previous breakdowns. The 2nd goal on him? Im not sure what to say. He was out quite far to challenge the shot and the puck ended up to the right of him for an open net. If they want to blame him, well he was challenging the shooter.
I'm hoping he plays great. Hate Talbot all you want but if he plays better, he is a great trade chip around deadline if need be. I say hold onto until then and see where we stand. We are still in this race and we have some important games coming up this weekend.
Lets face it, Caggiula, Rieder, and if healthy, Sekera are all big losses. I realize Rieder didn't have any goals but he was working his bag off and things were looking up. Caggiula? I like him this year. He is like a clean version of Marchand. Caggiula gets dirty and keeps going. I got time for him on the Oilers as well. Sekera? Got my fingers crossed on him. He was great when healthy

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
I'm not sure that Chiasson can stay on the first line for 60 minutes. I can see Rattie coming up there again if he plays like he did last game.
Illogically excited to see Zykov tonight!

Reactions: Oilers in NS

trick91

Jun 7, 2012
i really dont understand the thinking of playing Talbot. Yes he was good last game but he basically cost us the game against Minnesota last time around

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
He threw up a 850 save% in a loss on home ice not to long ago to the wild. Down on his knees 5 mins left to let in the back breaker.

Meanwhile Koski is 3-0 in his last 3 home starts with a 960 save%

Makes sense to me.

I get your frustration Talbot is getting the start, but if they are trying to trade him, scouts and teams are not going to want to see if he's improving in practice. He's going to get some game time to try and keep his confidence building upwards. Personally, if it were up to me and Talbot wasn't on an expiring contract, Koskinen would be getting both starts based on his home ice stats alone.

I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you as we are both in the camp that Koskinen is the better goalie but when there is only one crease, it's kind of hard to 'showcase' a guy riding the pine.

Reactions: North

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Whats everyone think of Gravel so far

MEH?
Good?
Average?
Poor?

I think he has been ok. He has great size and gets the puck out . Hitch is using him nicely.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
It's just not a traditional 4th line at all. More another scoring line. Which if Hitch plays his cards right should result in them having some decent matchups

Exactly. And Hitch has done pretty well with line matching, so they should be able to get some offense going. I’m calling it now. Zykov from Spooner and Larsson.

Yep. And Talbot was very hot once he got going.

i really dont understand the thinking of playing Talbot. Yes he was good last game but he basically cost us the game against Minnesota last time around

It’s not just about the result. It’s how he looked in the net. The way he was moving last game just oozed confidence. That was 16/17 Dadbot in net. Play him and let him continue to break out of the slump.

Whats everyone think of Gravel so far

MEH?
Good?
Average?
Poor?

I think he has been ok. He has great size and gets the puck out . Hitch is using him nicely.

Compared to what I was expecting, great! He’s been our 5th best dman imo. Kings fans were right about him. He reads the game well

Reactions: Oilers in NS

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I get your frustration Talbot is getting the start, but if they are trying to trade him, scouts and teams are not going to want to see if he's improving in practice. He's going to get some game time to try and keep his confidence building upwards. Personally, if it were up to me and Talbot wasn't on an expiring contract, Koskinen would be getting both starts based on his home ice stats alone.

I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you as we are both in the camp that Koskinen is the better goalie but when there is only one crease, it's kind of hard to 'showcase' a guy riding the pine.

Exactly. There will be teams looking for goalies. It always happens. Pittsburgh just lost Murray. I say hold onto until deadline and hopefully he has some great starts. Its a great problem to have having 2 good goalies

Reactions: McFuhryous

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
For quite a few years now Hitch has never really had that superstar goalie. When a goalie is hot and winning they will continue to play. I suspect that's what we see going forward.

Win and your in, lose and your out. Maybe you lose a tight one you're still in, but for the most part that's how I think things are going to play out.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Compared to what I was expecting, great! He’s been our 5th best dman imo. Kings fans were right about him. He reads the game well
Honestly I wasn't expecting much and I don't think he's done a lot. But by hasn't done a lot I mean it in a good way.

Wideman the other night had some bad plays at our line where the puck got out. With Gravel I don't really notice that, so to me when you don't see these errors that means your bottom pairing d-man are doing well.

We can't expect Benning, Gravel, Wideman or Garrison to be game changers in our favour. They just need to make sure they aren't game changers for the other team.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
I like Talbot against Minnesota a whole lot more than I like him against Calgary, so I guess Koski starts Sunday.

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
Honestly I wasn't expecting much and I don't think he's done a lot. But by hasn't done a lot I mean it in a good way.

Wideman the other night had some bad plays at our line where the puck got out. With Gravel I don't really notice that, so to me when you don't see these errors that means your bottom pairing d-man are doing well.

We can't expect Benning, Gravel, Wideman or Garrison to be game changers in our favour. They just need to make sure they aren't game changers for the other team.

It's unfortunate--though perhaps expected--that Wideman hasn't been yet able to contribute in an area the Oilers are severely lacking. It wasn't much of a gamble considering what we gave up for him, but still.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

When you don’t notice a Dman, they are doing a good job in my books. As someone said earlier, he is a great #5 dman. Good find in the bargain bin

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Where are you seeing this?

Earlier OP was showing Marody on 4th line. It changed.

I swear.

I'm not seeing things like Cloned or Soli. ;)

Lets just call the 4th line the Chia legendary Waiver line. Except it took an Eberle trade to get to this...

Also, its spellbinding that 13 of the players in the roster right now could be AHL or Waiver material.

The rebuild started again..

f*** my life...;)

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Recalling Marody just so you don't have to play Spooner? haha, its done Spooner, suck it, nice career for awhile. When Rieder comes back I expect Spooner is way done. If Zykov does anything at all looks like Spooner days numbered. I think I predicted it would take 10 games. Looks like that was fairly accurate.

Spooner has more value as a center than as winger.

Fans need to lay off the everyone is a scoring winger narrative. Spooner wasn’t one other than during a hot streak last year and Zykov isn’t one either, he’s a cycle/possession/crash the net player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad