GDT: XV | "Dazed and Confused" | Oilers vs. Rangers | 11.9.14 | 4:00PM | SNET-W

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'm sure the players know that this is a business. Playing careers aren't that long and money becomes an important factor in their lives. It's not like he joined North Korea (though the Oilers management are as delusional and inept as the North Korean government)

Sorry, contending teams often have a dressingroom ethos of not bailing on the club that just had a big run and went to the final. The stated or unstated want being that players take less than they could get to bolster the hopes of a team that is close.

This dynamic occurring in all capped league pro sports among competitive sides.

When you're a nothing washed up player and a team resurrected your career the hope is that you'd be at least thankful.

I can't see this playing well with the Rangers or their fans. My take is Pouliot should watch out today.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Rangers played last night and had to travel home. Oilers have been sitting in NY waiting for this tilt.

if this factoid was turned around Oilers would use it as an excuse. 50-60 mins of high tempo energy game would get a win tonight. I wonder if the Oilers bring it.

Gotta feeling though somebody on the Rangers lineup is going to put Pouliot in the first row. Just a feeling he's going to get drilled out there.

Rangers did everything for his career and he walked for the money.

I can see a player going from one contender to another but going from SC finalist to Mickey Mouse is lol.

Screams sellout.

Eh I donno. I imagine most guys on that team, and around the league, recognize that a contract like that for a player like Pouliot comes around once (or never) in a career. I would be surprised if anyone begrudges him taking it. This is a player that has been given 1 year contracts his entire career at around 1.3 million and finally was given the security of a 5 year deal at an obscene amount of money. It would have been silly for him not to take it.

Doesn't mean he wont get targeted out there. Lots of reasons that could happen. But I doubt it would be because he left for the money.

There would be a certain degree of irony if there were people in the Rangers organization or fan base begrudging him for taking that contract. Them being a franchise that has been poaching other teams free agents with obscene contracts for nearly 20 years with essentially zero success (their run to the finals last year notwithstanding)

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Eh I donno. I imagine most guys on that team, and around the league, recognize that a contract like that for a player like Pouliot comes around once (or never) in a career. I would be surprised if anyone begrudges him taking it. This is a player that has been given 1 year contracts his entire career at around 1.3 million and finally was given the security of a 5 year deal at an obscene amount of money. It would have been silly for him not to take it.

Doesn't mean he wont get targeted out there. Lots of reasons that could happen. But I doubt it would be because he left for the money.

Just a feeling I have. Rangers bottomsix were diehards. Much moreso than our 4th line. Guys that would die on the ice for a W. Pouliot benefitted bigtime from the hard work in the trenches of others.

On a team with that kind of work ethic and dedication my take is solidarity in the dressingroom.

Anyway what a garbage contract this is and I said so at the time. We're paying Pouliot at least twice what he's worth.

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
Just a feeling I have. Rangers bottomsix were diehards. Much moreso than our 4th line. Guys that would die on the ice for a W. Pouliot benefitted bigtime from the hard work in the trenches of others.

On a team with that kind of work ethic and dedication my take is solidarity in the dressingroom.

Anyway what a garbage contract this is and I said so at the time. We're paying Pouliot at least twice what he's worth.

All that being said, there is life outside hockey. All these guys have families and they have ensure a comfortable life for them.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Don't disagree on the contract. That was the epitome of buying high. But yeah, as my edit said the Rangers have been poaching players from smaller markets for 20 years with little success. If any city or team should understand the business side of it. It should be them.

MrM

Oct 13, 2013
I would hope for an Oilers loss if I thought it would lead to meaningful change.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Pouliot was the one working hard in the trenches for his linemates.

Brassard and Zuccarello had the puck a lot more often because of him.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If we can manage to keep Nash off the scoresheet they might have a chance. Their defense looks porous.

Kostka-Hunwick should get eaten alive regardless of who they're matched up against.

Nevertheless, Hall can't be back soon enough.

Last edited:

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
I wish I could get excited about a game but I just don't care anymore. This team has broken me.

I am expecting a boring game where we will be lucky to score a single goal. I'll probably throw it on in the background and play something on my PC.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The Rangers haven't been good this year. This is a good chance to build confidence against last season's eastern conference champions

Summary

Oct 13, 2009
Sorry, contending teams often have a dressingroom ethos of not bailing on the club that just had a big run and went to the final. The stated or unstated want being that players take less than they could get to bolster the hopes of a team that is close.

This dynamic occurring in all capped league pro sports among competitive sides.

When you're a nothing washed up player and a team resurrected your career the hope is that you'd be at least thankful.

I can't see this playing well with the Rangers or their fans. My take is Pouliot should watch out today.

Just like when Chicago's core players took discounts after winning so the team had enough capspace to sign others, like Byfuglien...

...oh wait

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
images

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Ference - Schultz
Nikitin - Petry
Aulie - Fayne

That's a McDavid worthy D.
Is Eakins trying to get fired? Jeez

Meanwhile, Klefbom and Marincin continue to sit in the pressbox learning...... nothing.

Who cares anyway? My Detroit Lions are 7-2 and play for 1st place in the NFC next week against Arizona. The Oilers couldn't be any more irrelevant right now.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
A nothing washed up player? Can a person try any harder to get a rise out of fellow fans?

Jun 22, 2009
That's a McDavid worthy D.
Is Eakins trying to get fired? Jeez

Meanwhile, Klefbom and Marincin continue to sit in the pressbox learning...... nothing.

Who cares anyway? My Detroit Lions are 7-2 and play for 1st place in the NFC next week against Arizona. The Oilers couldn't be any more irrelevant right now.

Matthew Staffords last drive was awesome.

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I sincerely wish I had your optimism. How do you do it man?

Well if you're looking for reasons to be optimistic, the Rangers teams that finish near the top of the league in GA are nowhere to be found. If we hold a team to 4, that's a stellar evening. I'm expecting a basketball score.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Pouliot was the one working hard in the trenches for his linemates.

Brassard and Zuccarello had the puck a lot more often because of him.

Both were doing fine without Pouliot and Zuc certainly has since. If we got Zuc who is basically the energizer on the rangers I would love it. He's all over every play on every shift. Had nothing to do with Pouliot.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Well if you're looking for reasons to be optimistic, the Rangers teams that finish near the top of the league in GA are nowhere to be found. If we hold a team to 4, that's a stellar evening. I'm expecting a basketball score.

Nash will probably have a hat trick tonight. Our defense is dreadful.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Just like when Chicago's core players took discounts after winning so the team had enough capspace to sign others, like Byfuglien...

...oh wait

Buff would be a textbook example of being despised for selling out on the club.

look up ahole and its probably got his picture as part of the definition..

OK I'm jk a little..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad