GDT: XLVIII | Oilers try to catch Lightning in a bottle | Oilers @ Lightning | 5:30 MST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Well see just how important N is these next games. 4-1 loss.

Maybe Lander can answer the bell and play well. This is a great shot for him

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Johnson and Palat both played last time. Same team as last time. We're not though. Nuge is out.

Really tough matchup. But if Hall and Drai are on we have a chance.

true but they were just coming off injury thyve played 4-5 games since and have looked really good.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
McL on RNH's shot-blocking:

"You have to give every one of them credit for wanting to be in the lane and establishing the fact that they are willing to do it," McLellan said. "But the way young players block shots now, they lower their hands to the ice. Players used to come out and lay down, line their shin pads up. Now you come out, go down to one knee and open up your hands."

Gotta say, I think he's right. If you're a 1st-overall pick with tons of offensive talent, the only time you should be using your hands to block slapshots is in the closing minutes of a playoff series.

Completely agree with this.

As a goalie the current technique is bollocks. The most likely place that the puck is going is:
1) If positioned as Nuge was last night, its most often going right below the tips of his fingers, beside his shin guards. Because he's got his shoulders slumped, arms down, he's made himself wider at exactly the place my eyes need to see around to pick up the shot
2) If he's doing the one leg technique, it's probably going 5 hole on him... again, a spot I can't pick it up.

The whole point of shot blocking is i) to actually block it, but that's not always predictable and ii) to reduce the number of places that the puck can go and iii) maximize your goalies chance of seeing and stopping the rest

A) If you stand with your legs together, stick between your feet... we're all good. If the guy fakes the shot, you can react. You may not be covering much of the net, but you are covering 100% of the sightlines that you are obscuring... so I can look around you.

B) If you slide to block with your legs, also good. I can see perfectly above you to the puck. If it disappears below you its either blocked, or coming very low... butterfly and no problem.

The current techniques... I think they got popular cuz coaches didn't want their guys spinning away on the ice, out of position, without opportunity to recover... that's fine... just do A.

IMO, the only time you should be doing the one knee is on the edge of the crease in desperation.... and the only time to get your delicate (and million dollar) hands involved is never. They don't actually stop the puck (just deflect it) and it just makes it that much harder to see.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Lander should be on the 2nd line. He plays better the further up the rung he goes Hendricks is the definition of a 3rd, 4th line guy. He does it well. We'll get nothing at all from that line this eve.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Is there a rule that says if a player leaves the system for the KHL he is suspended for a year?

Otherwise could he not just hop on a plane and take some NHL games?
We allowed him to go so he isn't suspended. I don't know if you can just call him back and then re-assign him again. Seems pointless for just a few games anway
Well see just how important N is these next games. 4-1 loss.

Maybe Lander can answer the bell and play well. This is a great shot for him

Against Dallas even with McDavid and RNH and Klef who the hell knows what would happen.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
that message to Bog might also be a message to other prospects. "Look what happens"

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
that message to Bog might also be a message to other prospects. "Look what happens"

Yep. Especially on this team. We lack so much, so if you are a centerman or a d-man or a guy that plays big or is defensively sound or an offensive wizard, just sit tight and wait.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Lander should be on the 2nd line. He plays better the further up the rung he goes Hendricks is the definition of a 3rd, 4th line guy. He does it well. We'll get nothing at all from that line this eve.

I would normally agree except that Lander has been a black hole on offence this year.

McDynasty

Nov 11, 2013
I'm really sad/mad RNH got injured. This team is cursed. We are a poorer team without him. We will probably see a healthy team for less than a month when RNH gets back, provided no one else gets hurt. What a season, so many highs, and then mostly lows. Par for the course I guess.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
We should probably win this one in a 10-0 blowout. TIL that an absurd amount of games lost, and the most valuable players missing is no big deal. We should be wrecking. So yeah, this is clearly an easy win.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Also, is this going to be the GDT? The game is on in an hour and twenty minutes. I'm waiting on it to be official before I key up some GDT tunes.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I wouldn't mind something like this for the top 6:

Pouliot/Hall/Eberle
Kassian/Draisaitl/Yakupov

blueracer17

Sep 27, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
Completely agree with this.

As a goalie the current technique is bollocks. The most likely place that the puck is going is:
1) If positioned as Nuge was last night, its most often going right below the tips of his fingers, beside his shin guards. Because he's got his shoulders slumped, arms down, he's made himself wider at exactly the place my eyes need to see around to pick up the shot
2) If he's doing the one leg technique, it's probably going 5 hole on him... again, a spot I can't pick it up.

The whole point of shot blocking is i) to actually block it, but that's not always predictable and ii) to reduce the number of places that the puck can go and iii) maximize your goalies chance of seeing and stopping the rest

A) If you stand with your legs together, stick between your feet... we're all good. If the guy fakes the shot, you can react. You may not be covering much of the net, but you are covering 100% of the sightlines that you are obscuring... so I can look around you.

B) If you slide to block with your legs, also good. I can see perfectly above you to the puck. If it disappears below you its either blocked, or coming very low... butterfly and no problem.

The current techniques... I think they got popular cuz coaches didn't want their guys spinning away on the ice, out of position, without opportunity to recover... that's fine... just do A.

IMO, the only time you should be doing the one knee is on the edge of the crease in desperation.... and the only time to get your delicate (and million dollar) hands involved is never. They don't actually stop the puck (just deflect it) and it just makes it that much harder to see.

I agree with this 100%. When I played competitively 15 years ago, this is exactly how we blocked shots. I was talking to my fiance' today about how RNH blocked that shot and she asked me why he would try to block it with his hands. I didn't really have an answer, was never taught that technique.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I agree with this 100%. When I played competitively 15 years ago, this is exactly how we blocked shots. I was talking to my fiance' today about how RNH blocked that shot and she asked me why he would try to block it with his hands. I didn't really have an answer, was never taught that technique.

Did he actually try to block the shot with his hand or did it just hit him there? Looked to me that it just hit him.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I want you all to keep a close eye on Victor Hedman tonight. I for one often focus on our own team too much and recently started paying close attention to the other teams D and comparing them to ours.

Last time we played Tampa, I noticed Hedman could be one of the best D in the NHL right now. Huge, fast, calm, with a brilliant breakout pass. I actually think Davidson plays a similar style of game except he's smaller, slower, and less talented overall. Hedman-lite.

If we had a Hedman on our team, we would be in business.

blueracer17

Sep 27, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
Did he actually try to block the shot with his hand or did it just hit him there? Looked to me that it just hit him.

When you drop your hands down to the ice, what do you expect to happen? I doubt he "tried" to block it with his hand, but that's where it hit him. He needed to protect himself better than to drop his hands to his sides and squat down in front of the shot.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I want you all to keep a close eye on Victor Hedman tonight. I for one often focus on our own team too much and recently started paying close attention to the other teams D and comparing them to ours.

Last time we played Tampa, I noticed Hedman could be one of the best D in the NHL right now. Huge, fast, calm, with a brilliant breakout pass. I actually think Davidson plays a similar style of game except he's smaller, slower, and less talented overall. Hedman-lite.

If we had a Hedman on our team, we would be in business.

Victor Hedman is a better goalie than our actual goalies last year. :laugh:

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..

Looks to me that he tried to block it..The only reason his gloves would be near his skates....

OaIOuZo.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad