GDT: XLIII | Oilers vs. Hawks | 1.7.18 | 1:00PM | SNW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Budapest and Southeast Asia eh? Sounds like a hedonist's dream. :naughty:

I lived in Budapest from 1991 to 1993 and spent from May 22nd to August 15th in Southest Asia(more or less last year)

I love ZIP lining in Cambodia and Vietnam. Lets just say in Cambodia and Vietnam there is not much health and safety when you do crazy stuff there and it makes it even a greater trip

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I've said this many times, but I think that it is a very bad sign for all Canadian teams when (as has happened many times in the past 10-15 years), multiple Canadian teams sit at or near the bottom of the standings. Obviously the teams suck, and there has to be internal accountability, but the stats show that since 1995 or so Canadian teams have seriously under-performed. One thing to think about as the Oilers head towards another disaster season is: can the Canadian franchises start to recognize this problem and maybe work together a little more?

I think you need a little more than "the stats" to back that up.

Sports is about competition. This reeks of the participation ribbon for everyone mentality that is pervasive in our society. The point when participation ribbons becomes too much is debateable. Professional sports at the highest level of the world should be about winning. Not about good feels for other teams based on where they are located.

Don't want to make the Oilers worse because of some misguided appeal to nationalishm.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Anything can happen, that's why they play the games Odds are for a not so favorable result though.

Hawks arent a contending team this season, Their defense are slow as hell, McD had fun with them last meeting and he will have more space away. Our pk stats are actually pretty good away. The same team who was a Toronto decision from conference final. They can beat any team when they put it together!

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
I think you need a little more than "the stats" to back that up.

Sports is about competition. This reeks of the participation ribbon for everyone mentality that is pervasive in our society. The point when participation ribbons becomes too much is debateable. Professional sports at the highest level of the world should be about winning. Not about good feels for other teams based on where they are located.

Don't want to make the Oilers worse because of some misguided appeal to nationalishm.

... uh, with all respect, it sounds like you're just trying to start a fight here. I get it, we're all mad and frustrated, but I explicitly called for internal accountability, so I really don't know where any of this is coming from. I'd have to dig up my old posts but it is a statistical fact that Canadian franchises do way worse than you would expect them to, even after the salary cap theoretically evened out the odds. Something is causing that, and I'm only suggesting that the GMs north of the border recognize it and start developing better trading partnerships. No idea how that's a "participation ribbon", tons of GMs have preferred trading partners for various reasons.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
... uh, with all respect, it sounds like you're just trying to start a fight here. I get it, we're all mad and frustrated, but I explicitly called for internal accountability, so I really don't know where any of this is coming from. I'd have to dig up my old posts but it is a statistical fact that Canadian franchises do way worse than you would expect them to, even after the salary cap theoretically evened out the odds. Something is causing that, and I'm only suggesting that the GMs north of the border recognize it and start developing better trading partnerships. No idea how that's a "participation ribbon", tons of GMs have preferred trading partners for various reasons.

Objecting to your argument isn't "just trying to start a fight". "With all respect" isn't a free pass to post something disprespectful. Make an argument and defend it. Attack the post and not the poster, etc.

Those preferred trading partners are usually due to personal connections good or bad. Trades should be in the best interest of the team.

Some secret arrangement to give special deals to Canadain teams is just plain bad.

Go ahead and dig through those posts, but don't just expect your statistical facts to be accept as gospel because you say so. Pro sports is about competition. That competition should be fair.

CageRage

Aug 15, 2009
I thought the decade of darkness was rock bottom. No, rock bottom is a decade of darkness seemingly ended by a single successful season, followed by a summer of cup contender predictions...only to return to basement dweller form.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I thought the decade of darkness was rock bottom. No, rock bottom is a decade of darkness seemingly ended by a single successful season, followed by a summer of cup contender predictions...only to return to basement dweller form.

7efe9e604506291c4fba5dde8c691cd8bd13378512f4a5274a9068e5a3c1d059

This season.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I was up most of the night with a tooth ache from a cracked tooth and pending root canal, which I figure will be less painful than watching this game.

Worse. There is one Guinness left in the fridge.

I’m tired. My mouth is sore as hell. I’m low on beer.

Just. f***ing. Win.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
0 & 5 on this road trip, no PP goals scored and opposition scores on our PK every PP. That should just about do it. They will give TM, Woodcroft, and Chiarelli all identical 10 yr/100 mil contracts.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I hope Chicago destroys the Oilers so that changes are made
Which means the Oilers probably win 3-2 in OT

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
0 & 5 on this road trip, no PP goals scored and opposition scores on our PK every PP. That should just about do it. They will give TM, Woodcroft, and Chiarelli all identical 10 yr/100 mil contracts.

It's too bad we killed two penalties and scored on one of our PP against the Stars.

I'm avoiding this game. I know it will be a disappointment.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
No Sekera

Who cares lol

Blackhawks players shin pads breathe a sigh of relief..

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Sekera out isn't the worst. He hasn't been good since he has been back. That said I hope it doesn't mean he is reinjured

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I was up most of the night with a tooth ache from a cracked tooth and pending root canal, which I figure will be less painful than watching this game.

Worse. There is one Guinness left in the fridge.

I’m tired. My mouth is sore as hell. I’m low on beer.

Just. ****ing. Win.

Oilers fan solution for afternoon games:

Reactions: Night Witch

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

I updated the lines in the GDT as well.
Going 7 D today. I figured these might be the lines other than Auvitu. Interesting to see how PJ does with RNH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad