GDT: XIV | "Hello Darkness My Old Friend" | Oilers vs. Sabres | 11.7.14 | 5:00PM | SNET-W

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005

extralarge.png
extralarge.png

(4-8-1) --vs-- (3-9-2)

[fieldset=GAME DAY INFORMATION]Game Day: November 7th 2014
Game Time: 5:00 PM
Location: That place where the Sabres "play" "hockey". Oh god, we're not in a position to make fun of anyone.
Radio: 630 Ched.
TV: Sportsnet West
Streamed:
[/fieldset]

[Fieldset=OILERS PROJECTED LINEUP]

extralarge.png

Benoit Pouliot - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Jordan Eberle
David Perron - Mark Arcobello - Nail Yakupov
Teddy Purcell - Leon Draisaitl - Iiro Pakarinen
Matt Hendricks - Boyd Gordon - Jesse Joensuu

Martin Marincin - Justin Schultz
Oscar Klefbom - Mark Fayne
Keith Aulie - Jeff Petry

Viktor Fasth
Ben Scrivens
[/fieldset]

[fieldset=SABRES PROJECTED LINEUP]

extralarge.png

17 Torrey Mitchell – 63 Tyler Ennis – 80 Chris Stewart
26 Matt Moulson – 28 Zemgus Girgensons – 12 Brian Gionta
44 Nicolas Deslauriers – 19 Cody Hodgson – 21 Drew Stafford
22 Johan Larsson – 8 Cody McCormick – 65 Brian Flynn
x: 82 Marcus Foligno

4 Josh Gorges – 57 Tyler Myers
41 Andrej Meszaros – 55 Rasmus Ristolainen
51 Nikita Zadorov – 61 Andre Benoit
x: 6 Mike Weber, 24 Tyson Strachan

34 Michal Neuvirth
1 Jhonas Enroth

[/fieldset]

[fieldset=SOLI'S SHORTSIDE]

- The Oilers lineup is unconfirmed. I figure Fasth should start. I figure the remains of Nikitin were left floating in the Charles River in Boston and Marincin should draw in and take his place. I figure I'll waste 2.5 hours on this game later.

- The Sabres did the right thing with Sam Reinhart and sent him down. It's a different situation with Draisaitl, he's looked more capable. But a more capable team wouldn't have him on the roster either.

- McEichel Calorie Watch: If BUF wins and CAR wins in OT/SO vs. CBJ... Ba Da Ba Da Da... I'm hatin' it.
[/fieldset]

Last edited:

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Didn't think we'd be in the Toilet Bowl this soon.

I tried to rationalize the Oilers position, like I do every morning, and truthfully, there about 2 wins below where I'd optimistically hoped they'd be. That's not horrible.

But middling teams find a way once and awhile to beat middling teams. There's so much parity in the NHL that I don't like betting on games. Any team can win on any give night.

Not the Oilers.

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
Another performance like last night and this will be an easy win for Buffalo. The score last night was flattering for the Oilers. They have absolutely no chemistry whatsoever. No one can even hit the tape on a pass. I see less passes into the skates in rec hockey. That was brutal to watch. Thankfully, this isn't on the tube here in BC, so watching it won't be an option.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
So I guess nobody's lining up to do the GDT's these days? Smells like last year for sure.

That feeling of being out of the playoffs before mid-November, fighting with Buffalo for last plast...ah, it's like putting on your favourite pair of hiking boots, it just feels so damn comfortable, like it's just meant to be.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
So I guess nobody's lining up to do the GDT's these days? Smells like last year for sure.

That feeling of being out of the playoffs before mid-November, fighting with Buffalo for last plast...ah, it's like putting on your favourite pair of hiking boots, it just feels so damn comfortable, like it's just meant to be.

I was just going to let it go today. Convert the Pre-GDT, wipe my hands with it, turn the game on, close my eyes. But it's important to stay status quo around the kids so they don't suspect something is wrong. :laugh:

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Don't forget, fellas. Just like every pundit, announcer, analyst, media hack, and radio jockey, says..."I know Oiler fans don't want to hear this, but you have to have patience!"

Just have patience guys. Ten years of patience is not enough, just another five more years of being patient, and we'll be right on track to fighting for the playoffs. Just have patience guys. Just have patience.

Patience.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
That Sabres line-up is butt-ugly. Scary bad.

If they can't beat that sad-sack lot, especially since the Oil should be hungry and desperate to show some form of character, they will be fully deserving of any and all scorn thrown their way.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Don't forget, fellas. Just like every pundit, announcer, analyst, media hack, and radio jockey, says..."I know Oiler fans don't want to hear this, but you have to have patience!"

Just have patience guys. Ten years of patience is not enough, just another five more years of being patient, and we'll be right on track to fighting for the playoffs. Just have patience guys. Just have patience.

Patience.

3vr50.gif

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

If they can't beat that sad-sack lot, especially since the Oil should be hungry and desperate to show some form of character, they will be fully deserving of any and all scorn thrown their way.

On paper that Buffalo team is about equal to the current Oilers lines on paper. Buffalo has probably better veteran leadership, so could easily win tonight.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Actually if you look at both lineups player for player, the Oilers aren't much better.
Seriously, take a look at the lineups. I was shocked at how close they looked at face value. Very similar actually.
Young players like RNH and Hodgson who have underachieved a bit in their career, rookies in Girgensens and Draisaitl, small skilled guys in Ennis and Arco.
The defense has a couple of 2nd pairing vets, an underachieving young player in Myers and Schultz and some rookies.
They also have goalies who have always been either backups or shared starters.

We always hear that on paper, the Oilers should be better than they are but looking at that lineup, i'm not so sure that they are underachieving.
Of course Hall makes the lineup look better, but it's still a mediocre to poor looking group even with him.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Actually if you look at both lineups player for player, the Oilers aren't much better.
Seriously, take a look at the lineups. I was shocked at how close they looked at face value.

We always hear that on paper, the Oilers should be better than they are but looking at that lineup, i'm not so sure that they are underachieving.

Of course Hall makes the lineup look better, but it's still a mediocre to poor looking group even with him.

I didn't mention the Oilers line-up.

Yes, they blow too.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Remember when Cody Hodgson was a 1st line C for the next 10 years?

And he's going to own us tonight. Expecting a lazy and lifeless show from the Oilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad