XI. Little General Stars Talk of Horrors

Status
Not open for further replies.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Ok fun excercise. Of the current Stars roster, name who you think would make the best of the following:

Head Coach:
Assistant Coach:
General Manager:
In-Studio Analyst (Think Barry Melrose):
Color-Commentator:

aloonda*

Ok fun excercise. Of the current Stars roster, name who you think would make the best of the following:

Head Coach:
Assistant Coach:
General Manager:
Color-Commentator:

hc-fiddler
ac-horcoff
gm-lindback---lots of time to think sitting there
in game---fiddler
color--fiddler

hell

probably fiddler for all of em

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Head Coach: Trevor Daley
Asst. Coach: Vern Fiddler
GM: Jason Spezza
In-Studio: Antoine Roussel (RDS)
Color: Tyler Seguin ... only guy who could hang with Razor.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I hope our fans never get this pissed off.

That was the scene after Edmonton got destroyed on Saturday. Unfortunately, to get to the home locker room at Rexall, they have to pass through the concourse, and face.......that. :help:

aloonda*

That was the scene after Edmonton got destroyed on Saturday. Unfortunately, to get to the home locker room at Rexall, they have to pass through the concourse, and face.......that. :help:

saw that earlier today

the oilers might want to reconsider that option......

SonicSpeedDash

All bets are off
Jun 22, 2010
Amarillo, TX

I feel bad for the players to be honest. The management has killed that team for years to come.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
As Stars fans, we should thank our stars that we have Nil as a GM when we watch anything to do with the Oil.

How many top picks have they had? Still haven't turned it around? Strong culture of losing there that really, really needs to be undone.

Nil has reshaped this team without the benefit of top 3 picks (so far) just to prove high picks are no guarantee, and that there are different ways to build a team.....and tear one apart.

Really wonder what is going on in EDM, but most of the things they face, we faced worse in the bankruptcy era.

SonicSpeedDash

All bets are off
Jun 22, 2010
Amarillo, TX
As Stars fans, we should thank our stars that we have Nil as a GM when we watch anything to do with the Oil.

How many top picks have they had? Still haven't turned it around? Strong culture of losing there that really, really needs to be undone.

Nil has reshaped this team without the benefit of top 3 picks (so far) just to prove high picks are no guarantee, and that there are different ways to build a team.....and tear one apart.

Really wonder what is going on in EDM, but most of the things they face, we faced worse in the bankruptcy era.

Their management and owner don't have a clue. Picking Hall, Hopkins, Yakupov at first was probably a good idea at the time. But they failed to draft in crucial areas like defense and goaltending. Much to what the Stars need is defense and a legit back up. But no way we're near how the Oilers are and thank the flying spaghetti monster for that.

Personally. I hate to see someone like McDavid go to the Oilers and piss away their career and potential in a system like that. The Oilers management should draft defense if they get another top pick. Not another forward.

Last edited:

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I suggested that if the Stars got a top two pick, they might even consider defense, and was told by most, probably correctly in most cases, that you don't pass on generational talents for positional need. But, I agree that at least one of those top picks should have been used on whatever stud D was available to balance out the Oil.

Those top guys, McDavid and Eichel will start on either Buffalo or the Oil, barring trade. They better hope those teams follow the Hawks or Pens path, rather than the treadmill that are the Oil. While BUF is perpetually bad, too, they do seem to have a plan for the future, which bodes well for whoever ends up there.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Buffalo is far from perpetually bad ... that's barely even fair or reasonable to say. They are pretty similar to Dallas with the main exception being that their previous GM only did a moderate job of stocking up assets before the new owner came along. That and instead of actually building the right way, the owner was over zealous and tried to throw money at the problem.

Aside from the costly delay in the process, they have a great owner in place, and they have a GM committed to building the right way. Their long term potential to be the next the Chicago is pretty ridiculous because the money is already in place to keep them around in 4 or 5 years and they're commanding top dollar, and the assets they are adding are high end ... including 1 of 2 likely all world talents at the end of the season.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Big,

Well, if they are about like we are, the general standard around these boards is that we have sucked eggs most of the last ten years, before last year, and even that uptick was only the very last playoff seed and a first round exit. While hardly EDM bad, I was only applying the win something to prove it mentality that seems to prevail, LOL.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Blaming it on HF culture is pretty weak. Buffalo's playoff history since the 05 lockout is actually better than Dallas.

There is EDM bad, and then there are several different levels throughout the league.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
As bad as it looks, if Edmonton is in a position to draft Eichel or McDavid, I almost hope they'd pull a Lindros. They deserve much better than to have to play for the Oilers and try and fix something that can't be fixed.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
They budged a bit, but there was some serious consideration to punish repeat high drafters in their chances of earning another pick in subsequent drafts. Unfortunately the league moves lacked teeth.

FWIW ...

Not trying to be sensitive about Buffalo or anyone else, but I'm shocked how quickly some forget how bad Dallas was. Whether it was dog piling Florida's attendance earlier this year or just dumping on Buffalo in general ... we really can be better than standard HF vomit.

The smaller markets, including Dallas, are never going to have the support on here or numbers to compete with the uninformed general masses.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003

Seguin (#2 Overall) and Spezza (#2 Overall) might as well be our top 3 draft picks. I guess there is more than one way to skin a cat.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Seguin (#2 Overall) and Spezza (#2 Overall) might as well be our top 3 draft picks. I guess there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Benn would go top 3 in his draft if it was done today now as well.

And of course you can make the arguments about Lehtonen and Nichushkin as well.

Primetimey*

Head Coach:
Assistant Coach:
General Manager:
Color-Commentator:

Head Coach: Fiddler
Assistant Coach: Rousell
General Manager: Horcoff
In-Studio Analyst: Daley
Color-Commentator: Seguin

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Benn would go top 3 in his draft if it was done today now as well.

And of course you can make the arguments about Lehtonen and Nichushkin as well.

Benn for sure. Klingberg could be another top 5 talent in retrospect several years down the road. Jury is still out on that one, but we definitely have pulled some magic out of the bag to get top-end talent without finishing in the basement of the NHL. Pretty impressive. Most teams can't go that/don't get lucky and pull it off without those top draft picks.

Stars90

Sep 24, 2013
Toronto
I think this has been brought up before, but I am really, really enjoying Ralphie's pre-game (Although I listen post-game when he posts them on twitter) stories. Not sure how long everyone around here has been watching games, but if you've followed this team for a while they always seem to be great trips down memory lane.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Anyone bought a jersey from hockeymonkey? They've got a Black Friday sale going on and with full authentic stitching you can get a custom jersey for $112 and free shipping. How good is the quality of the customization? Because I'm about to pull the trigger on a Klingberg Victory Green.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad