Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
1697847508922.png

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Damnit. Throughout most of this, the Stars surviving the merger seemed like a reasonable possibility, until they dropped to a rumor of 8 teams, and now it sounds like we're out. Guess I get some time back in the spring. Still annoyed that I never got a chance to see a game in person.

Reactions: Kirk Van Houten

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Damnit. Throughout most of this, the Stars surviving the merger seemed like a reasonable possibility, until they dropped to a rumor of 8 teams, and now it sounds like we're out. Guess I get some time back in the spring. Still annoyed that I never got a chance to see a game in person.
Good chance they're back in 2025

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018

Not entirely surprised. Fox was behind the USFL revival, and ESPN was the sole broadcaster for XFL 3.0. NBC was just kinda along for the ride on the USFL. Probably got games for next to nothing so the league would have more visibility and time slots.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
They have abandoned both brand names but won't say what the new name is
They have lost 1/3 of their broadcast partners
They have folded 1/2 of their teams
They have 3 months until they're supposed to kick off and it's pretty much radio silence
They won't have advertising during the Super Bowl like the XFL and USFL did before they relaunched

Seems like things are going extremely poorly so far.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Eh, seems like a dull corporate branding that has neither the historical legitimacy and nostalgia of the USFL or the edge of the XFL.

But whatever, I'll still not care if there isn't a Chicago team, and even if there is a Chicago team I'll only mildly care.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
So, apparently, one reason for the delay on the rebranding was because the name "UFL" was owned by conman Joe McClendon III. Yes, I am calling him a conman because has had multiple public instances of fraud as he originally started an indoor football league called the National Gridiron League... that didn't happen. Then somehow claimed the assets of the United Football League that folded in 2013 as his own and renamed the league as such, and turned the indoor league into a summer outdoor league... and still didn't play any games. In every single noted case, he took people's money and just ran off.

Here's a full history on Joe, but the UFL website (his website) was taken down a few days ago, unfortunately.

Reactions: oknazevad

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Now that this lineup appears to be locked, I have to hope so. If not, I will never not be mad that Philly didn't even get the chance to prove we'd support our team in person.
Eh, seems like a dull corporate branding that has neither the historical legitimacy and nostalgia of the USFL or the edge of the XFL.

But whatever, I'll still not care if there isn't a Chicago team, and even if there is a Chicago team I'll only mildly care.
I’ll still follow the league because I enjoy spring football but without the Vipers it’s hard for me to feel strongly about following a particular team since there’s none anywhere near me now. Maybe Arlington since I like Luis Perez

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I can only hope the conference championship banners fully spell out the acronyms. Who doesn't want to see a 2024 United States Football League Conference Championship banner?

Reactions: Reaser

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I can only hope the conference championship banners fully spell out the acronyms. Who doesn't want to see a 2024 United States Football League Conference Championship banner?
Don't understand why an 8 team league needs conferences at all, especially with the way they're doing these in particular. Having the Roughnecks in it with the Gamblers players and coaches is just silly and it could look even weirder depending on what expansion teams they add or bring back from the USFL/XFL

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I’ll still follow the league because I enjoy spring football but without the Vipers it’s hard for me to feel strongly about following a particular team since there’s none anywhere near me now. Maybe Arlington since I like Luis Perez
Why did they go with Arlington and not Dallas or Texas? Very weird.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Why did they go with Arlington and not Dallas or Texas? Very weird.
Texas would be weird too with there being 2 other XFL (now UFL) teams in Texas. As for why they changed from Dallas to Arlington, dunno, probably something to do with the fact that the league's headquarters and player/coach living and practice hub is in Arlington

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad