XFL and USFL merge into the United Football League

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON

For 2024 season. Announcement could come later this week/early next week.

Will see when they play and how many teams will there be. No chance at 16 IMO.

Reactions: Kirk Van Houten

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
This makes too much sense to fall apart. It really needs to happen, IMO, for a spring league to continue to survive.

They might not keep 16 teams, but I feel like it's not impossible to do, given that the two leagues already are filling 16 rosters a season, and there is only one city's worth of overlap between the two. Move one of the Houston franchises to somewhere else in the central South or West, and you have fairly logical structures available.

For the time being, using only the teams that exist with one of the Houston teams moved, you could run something like:

Philadelphia/Pittsburgh/New Jersey/DC
Michigan/St. Louis/Memphis/New Orleans
Orlando/Birmingham/Houston/Arlington
Seattle/Vegas/San Antonio/relocated Houston (Salt Lake City, Omaha, something like that)

(I also have thoughts for a 20-team league following expansion, subtracting Houston 2 and adding Tulsa, Omaha, Portland, San Diego, and SLC:
Pittsburgh/Philadelphia/New Jersey/Michigan/DC
Orlando/Birmingham/New Orleans/St. Louis/Memphis
Houston/Tulsa/Arlington/San Antonio/Omaha
Salt Lake City/Seattle/Portland/San Diego/Vegas)

Ultimately, I just want there to be one strong, successful league, with a Philly team in it that actually plays in Philly so I can watch the games.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Probably like 12 teams make sense. Knock off the weakest bottom 2 from each league. XFL was already moving out of LV.

Don’t need 2 spring leagues to dilute the talent.

Reactions: oknazevad

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Probably like 12 teams make sense. Knock off the weakest bottom 2 from each league. XFL was already moving out of LV.

XFL was moving out of Vegas and both leagues “have” a team in Houston, so those two being gone makes sense.

USFL has been passive in expenditures, the two leagues really have different models as the USFL aren’t even in every market they are branding teams from.

Reactions: Voight

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It was a bit odd that the two leagues popped up at the same time to compete with each other. There was never going to be enough interest for both to be sustainable for any length of time. This was inevitable.

Reactions: Voight and DaveG

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON

I'm thinking 10-12 teams depending on the leases they have

XFL keep 7
DC
Seattle
St. Louis
Arlington/Dallas
Houston
San Antonio

USFL keep 3
Birmingham
Memphis
Canton (team called Ohio XXXs)

Maybe 2 more.
Current Viper if they find a new home (Nashville, Arizona etc..)
Michigan Panthers if they find a new venue, they won't be returning to Ford Field

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'm thinking 10-12 teams depending on the leases they have

XFL keep 7
DC
Seattle
St. Louis
Arlington/Dallas
Houston
San Antonio

USFL keep 3
Birmingham
Memphis
Canton (team called Ohio XXXs)

Maybe 2 more.
Current Viper if they find a new home (Nashville, Arizona etc..)
Michigan Panthers if they find a new venue, they won't be returning to Ford Field
If they cut my Stars, I'm out. I'm not about to follow a league without an active rooting interest, and I don't think it'd be fair to not even give Philly a chance to get behind the team before cutting them.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Really? I think the USFL branding is absolutely hideous
Team branding, I think XFL is better.

I think if they merged, longer history with the USFL so that would be the league name. And if you ever needed to say the full formal name, it's United States Football League, vs Xtreme Football League. That's why I'd go USFL over XFL.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Really? I think the USFL branding is absolutely hideous
I'm personally biased in favor of the USFL (despite thinking my own team is the worst-looking of the bunch), but the XFL uniforms are wretched, with the exceptions of the BattleHawks and Defenders (and even they could be improved by going to opposite-color pants with the dark jerseys). The USFL teams, by and large, have more traditional looks, and very balanced color schemes (especially now that the Maulers have shifted to black and gold from purple and orange); the XFL relies way too heavily on mono-color looks, gradients, and highlighter shades.

I don't personally care about the league branding or team logos, except insofar as it appears on merch, but there are a lot of teams in the XFL where I just wouldn't buy the gear, even if they were the Philadelphia Whatevers; in the USFL, I'd be happy with any of the teams' branding as my own.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I'm personally biased in favor of the USFL (despite thinking my own team is the worst-looking of the bunch), but the XFL uniforms are wretched, with the exceptions of the BattleHawks and Defenders (and even they could be improved by going to opposite-color pants with the dark jerseys). The USFL teams, by and large, have more traditional looks, and very balanced color schemes (especially now that the Maulers have shifted to black and gold from purple and orange); the XFL relies way too heavily on mono-color looks, gradients, and highlighter shades.

I don't personally care about the league branding or team logos, except insofar as it appears on merch, but there are a lot of teams in the XFL where I just wouldn't buy the gear, even if they were the Philadelphia Whatevers; in the USFL, I'd be happy with any of the teams' branding as my own.
I like most of the XFL uniforms, only 2 I don't like are Orlando and Houston, whereas to me the USFL uniforms look like high school or a youth league and way too many teams are red

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I like most of the XFL uniforms, only 2 I don't like are Orlando and Houston, whereas to me the USFL uniforms look like high school or a youth league and way too many teams are red
That's interesting. I have kind of the same objection to the XFL kits as you do to the USFL; I think they look like something kids would want their high school to wear, but then again, I'm very much a traditionalist when it comes to uniforms.

I do agree that the USFL could do with a more diverse color palette, and would happily put up the Stars for a conversion to Kelly Green and Gold instead of Ketchup and Mustard. That would just leave the Generals and Stallions in bright red, and the Panthers in Burgundy, and with the two leagues coming together, if they keep all the teams and all the kits as they are for 2024, that'd be 1/4 of the league in predominantly red, instead of half the league as the USFL is now.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Both leagues have lost way, way more money than they thought they were going to. My prediction is that the XFL folds its Vegas team, absorbs the 3 USFL teams that actually have homes, and folds the other 5 to end up with a 10 team league... which will probably fold within a year or two.

Reactions: oknazevad

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
This makes too much sense to fall apart. It really needs to happen, IMO, for a spring league to continue to survive.

They might not keep 16 teams, but I feel like it's not impossible to do, given that the two leagues already are filling 16 rosters a season, and there is only one city's worth of overlap between the two. Move one of the Houston franchises to somewhere else in the central South or West, and you have fairly logical structures available.

For the time being, using only the teams that exist with one of the Houston teams moved, you could run something like:

Philadelphia/Pittsburgh/New Jersey/DC
Michigan/St. Louis/Memphis/New Orleans
Orlando/Birmingham/Houston/Arlington
Seattle/Vegas/San Antonio/relocated Houston (Salt Lake City, Omaha, something like that)

I think that spring football can be successful if they have the right balance and strategy of team locations divided among "We need them for TV" and "they don't have NFL, so they'll eat it up."

I'd think this would do well:
West: LA*, SEA, SD, OAK, PORT, Sacramento or Fresno
East: NY, BOS*, PHI, CHI, STL, ORL
South: DAL, HOU, SA, BIRM, MEMP, OKC

Put the Boston team in actual Boston, like at Boston College's stadium and not Foxborough.
Call them the "Los Angeles ______," but maybe put the eam in the Inland Empire.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Both leagues have lost way, way more money than they thought they were going to. My prediction is that the XFL folds its Vegas team, absorbs the 3 USFL teams that actually have homes, and folds the other 5 to end up with a 10 team league... which will probably fold within a year or two.
Not sure about the USFL but this definitely isn’t true for the XFL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad