Xbox Showcase/Starfield Direct

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Yeah that hit pretty much every note I was looking for aside from maybe The Coalition/ID Software. Starfield is the game I'm looking forward to the most right now and it looks better every time I see it. Seeing Avowed for the first time and getting a release window was great. Flight Simulator 2024 looks incredible graphically and should be more fun than the 2020 game with the new missions. I did not expect InExile's new game to be an FPS but it looks interesting. The third party games like Persona, Yakuza, the new Atlus game, that Capcom game, and Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty all looked good. Of course there was some stuff I'm not interested in and there were some trailers that didn't really show gameplay like Fable but overall that was a very solid show.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Only disappointment was Fable. Not the lack of gameplay specifically, but the vibe felt like English humor as told by Joss Whedon if that makes any sense. Felt oddly charmless.

Starfield's showing was legendary, and I was only sort of interested heading in. What a showcase.

Clockwork Revolution reminds me of Bioshock Infinite. Will keep an eye on that one.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Wait, when did EA lose the Star Wars exclusive license?
When Dice f***ed up…no trashed Battlefront 2 at launch. If the microtransactions weren’t blown out of proportion, they would have gotten reamed for the map design, and removal of fan favorite game modes from the first game.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
This was a great show. Players are going to Eat Well with Starfield.

With Forza, the success/failure of this game rests solely on their AI cheat bots. This has been a major negative in Horizon Sport from players on Reddit.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Xbox did a good job, though again no reason for me to buy an actual Xbox.
I am the same way, Xbox will probably win this, get a 10/10, and I still have zero interest in owning the new Xbox. The only game I truly want to play for it right now is the new Forza game and that's pretty much it.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
I am the same way, Xbox will probably win this, get a 10/10, and I still have zero interest in owning the new Xbox. The only game I truly want to play for it right now is the new Forza game and that's pretty much it.

It’s not about owning an Xbox… I don’t understand why people think that matters when they have said it multiple times. If you buy their games or gamepass that is what they want.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
It’s not about owning an Xbox… I don’t understand why people think that matters when they have said it multiple times. If you buy their games or gamepass that is what they want.

100%. Microsoft is already focused on the post-console ecosystem.

In many cases, consoles are money losers for Sony and MS. It’s just the way they get you in their ecosystem, and now you don’t even need a console.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
100%. Microsoft is already focused on the post-console ecosystem.

In many cases, consoles are money losers for Sony and MS. It’s just the way they get you in their ecosystem, and now you don’t even need a console.
Yeah, but unless you are content with playing on cloud, building a PC that will consistently outperform a Series X is likely to cost you notably more than a Series X due to all the optimization done to get games running on console. I have a PC that on paper that should dramatically outperform the Series X/PS5, and with certain games that isn't exactly the case. Like in theory the Series X is essentially a a 3600 cpu, and a RX 6600 graphics card, but generally on games optimized it will punch above it's specs.

Cloud works for some games, but I don't think a first person shooting game designed to run 30fps on consoles is gonna run particularly great on cloud.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I have zero interest in buying their game pass, I am old school and prefer physical copies of games I want to play and own. You see? It is an irrelevant system for me (this is coming from someone who has had every single Xbox they ever had until the new one).

Reactions: Khelandros

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
I have zero interest in buying their game pass, I am old school and prefer physical copies of games I want to play and own. You see? It is an irrelevant system for me (this is coming from someone who has had every single Xbox they ever had until the new one).
There is nothing better than going to load up a game that you digitally purchased only to find that it has been removed and you no longer have access to it.

Reactions: S E P H

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
There is nothing better than going to load up a game that you digitally purchased only to find that it has been removed and you no longer have access to it.
While, I still buy physical for a couple reasons (I like supporting my local store, and I like the ability to lend/share games), a ton of physical games are legit not playable without the day zero patch.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
So you're not going to buy Alan Wake 2 then?

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea

I'm mostly a physical media guy too, but it can happen with them too, I was feeling nostalgic and wanted to play an old Tiger Woods game that I played to death with a buddy who had passed, and when I found the disc and fired it up I found the servers were shut down and the DLC course I wanted to play was gone

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Only disappointment was Fable. Not the lack of gameplay specifically, but the vibe felt like English humor as told by Joss Whedon if that makes any sense. Felt oddly charmless.

Starfield's showing was legendary, and I was only sort of interested heading in. What a showcase.

Clockwork Revolution reminds me of Bioshock Infinite. Will keep an eye on that one.
In thinking about it more, that was the most confident I’ve ever seen a dev be about a game. I don’t understand the Cyberpunk comparisons people are throwing around. Cyberpunk always hid stuff. Bethesda just showed everything.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I'm mostly a physical media guy too, but it can happen with them too, I was feeling nostalgic and wanted to play an old Tiger Woods game that I played to death with a buddy who had passed, and when I found the disc and fired it up I found the servers were shut down and the DLC course I wanted to play was gone
Yeah, the less popular EA sports games servers don't tend to stay up that many years.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Analysts are predicting within 5-10 years, all major AAA games are going to go digital only. And it makes a lot of sense.

Reactions: Jussi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad