Xbox Showcase/Starfield Direct

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Xbox did a good job, though again no reason for me to buy an actual Xbox.
It was strong with all the gamepass games if you have gamepass (especially for 3rd party non-exclusives like Cities Skylines 2). Most of the stuff was known for years (Avowed, Hellblade 2, Fable), and Hellblade and Fable still haven't shown off anything more than in-game cutscenes. Very strong showcase if you are a big WRPG fan though (Fable, Avowed, the new inExile game).

Similar to the Sony showcase, most of the studios in the X-Box ecosystem I care about were absent. Was hoping for a mic-drop moment such as iD showing off Quake or even a new Doom (seems iD is busy helping Bethesda with gunplay for Starfield). Would have loved to see an update from MachineGames on either the Indiana Jones game or Wolfenstein 3. Didn't expect to see anything from Double Fine but that would have def caught my attention. Felt like a lot of DLC's packed in the middle for franchises I don't really care about (ES: Online, Fallout 76, Flight Simulator).

Last edited:
Reactions: Seedtype

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
The promises seem massive on Starfield and I have no idea how they are workable. The obvious worry is a lot of the maps will feel empty.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
It was strong with all the gamepass games if you have gamepass (especially for 3rd party non-exclusives like Cities Skylines 2). Most of the stuff was known for years (Avowed, Hellblade 2, Fable), and Hellblade and Fable still haven't shown off anything more than in-game cutscenes. Very strong showcase if you are a big WRPG fan though (Fable, Avowed, the new inExile game).

Similar to the Sony showcase, most of the studios in the X-Box ecosystem I care about were absent. Was hoping for a mic-drop moment such as iD showing off Quake or even a new Doom (seems iD is busy helping Bethesda with gunplay for Starfield). Would have loved to see an update from MachineGames on either the Indiana Jones game or Wolfenstein 3. Didn't expect to see anything from Double Fine but that would have def caught my attention. Felt like a lot of DLC's packed in the middle for franchises I don't really care about (ES: Online, Fallout 76, Flight Simulator).
Is that a surprise or something? Of course they’re going to focus on gamepass…

It’s not like Gamepass is the only way to play them.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Is that a surprise or something? Of course they’re going to focus on gamepass…

It’s not like Gamepass is the only way to play them.
It seemed more focused on the pipeline than must play experiences outside of what they pushed at the end with Starfield. I felt it was more selling a continual subscription for a constant feed of games over massive must-play games. None of the showcases this year have really had any mic-drop moments. We saw mostly what we know is already coming, plus some new IPs mixed in.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Well that absolutely checked all the boxes for me. New, interesting IPs. Avowed and Fable. Starfield looked insane.

Wish we saw a little more Hellblade 2 but I’m sure it’ll be in a future Direct. 9/10 show for me and blew Playstation and Summer Game Fest outta the water.

Reactions: Jussi and King 88

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021

From the majority of intake on Twitter and social media, Xbox hit this one out of the park!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad