Xbox Series X

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Eh, looks like my router.

So I guess outside of VR we aren't going to see any innovation in controllers anymore? To be fair I don't know what could be done at this point, but I was hoping they'd have something new up their sleeves.

I'd like it if some of the elite controller features became standard (paddles on the back, reconfigurable sticks/d-pads) but there's probably no reason anybody would do that when they could just sell you a more expensive controller separately.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

I'd like it if some of the elite controller features became standard (paddles on the back, reconfigurable sticks/d-pads) but there's probably no reason anybody would do that when they could just sell you a more expensive controller separately.

Doubtful, the Elite 2 is like $179 alone and out of stock constantly at any retailer. I just exchanged my Elite one for it and it's really nice with the docking station, four separate profiles controllable from the controller, 150 or so in the cloud.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Contemplating on going with Xbox this time around. Have never owned an Xbox before. Was always a Sony guy. If Sony however reveals it will have full backwards compatibility, including PS3, I will be going with that. I've been craving to play some old PS3/Xbox 360 games but since I only have a PS4, its out of the question if its not available on PS Now. I'm really conflicted.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
I'm not talking about swapping the location of the d-pad and analog stick or something like that lol. Those two controllers are basically the same other than some ergonomic differences.

And that's my point. It's kind of disappointing that the way we play games has hardly changed at all in the last couple decades. Maybe the current control layout can't be beat, in which case new consoles are just not that exciting since all that really changes is improved graphics. I have to give Nintendo credit for trying new control methods and even console form factors out over the years, even if the results are often mixed. Microsoft and Sony have made half-hearted attempts at different control methods with things like Kinnect and the EyeToy.

Well they have the elite controllers if your looking for a different controller in a way. Makes games way easier to play having custom paddles. I don’t know what else they can really change unless a whole redesign of the controller but that could alienate players depending on what they choose to do.

I know myself and a bunch of friends that have xboxes is because of the controller design and it just fitting in your hands properly where the PlayStation the location of the thumb sticks is a carpel tunnel nightmare for me.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
I’m hoping Microsoft loads on a virtual desktop app that will allow you to remotely access your computers desktop or maybe even a cloud environment desktop. The possibilities that would open would be huge.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Contemplating on going with Xbox this time around. Have never owned an Xbox before. Was always a Sony guy. If Sony however reveals it will have full backwards compatibility, including PS3, I will be going with that. I've been craving to play some old PS3/Xbox 360 games but since I only have a PS4, its out of the question if its not available on PS Now. I'm really conflicted.

PS3 BC probably won't happen as the CELL still sucks to do, but they have PS Now going on as well. I'd kill for full BC but for the ease of things, only having PS4 games work on the PS5 make sense as they are the same architecture. I know PS3 emulation on PC has come a long way for a lot of games, but yeah, the resources to get as many games as MS has done for their system would be pretty damn high. Remember, the CELL processor, while extremely powerful for the time, was ridiculously complicated compared to other CPUs at the time.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
PS3 BC probably won't happen as the CELL still sucks to do, but they have PS Now going on as well. I'd kill for full BC but for the ease of things, only having PS4 games work on the PS5 make sense as they are the same architecture. I know PS3 emulation on PC has come a long way for a lot of games, but yeah, the resources to get as many games as MS has done for their system would be pretty damn high. Remember, the CELL processor, while extremely powerful for the time, was ridiculously complicated compared to other CPUs at the time.
Ya, thats why I'm thinking of just getting the new Xbox and be done with it. Playstation Now doesn't have any of the PS3 games I want to play and it looks like its available via EA access on Xbox One.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Ya, thats why I'm thinking of just getting the new Xbox and be done with it. Playstation Now doesn't have any of the PS3 games I want to play and it looks like its available via EA access on Xbox One.

EA Access is now on the PS4. Is it not on EA Access on PS4?

For me though, I have a good enough PC that I don't ever need to buy an Xbox, especially since all exclusives are on Game Pass for PC and even on Steam if I want that version.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
EA Access is now on the PS4. Is it not on EA Access on PS4?

For me though, I have a good enough PC that I don't ever need to buy an Xbox, especially since all exclusives are on Game Pass for PC and even on Steam if I want that version.
It is, but like I was saying earlier, it has none of the games I want to play. I have gamepass as well, and it also doesn't have the games I want lol. Maybe just buy a used Xbox one? idk what to do.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I’ll be interested to see performance specs on this vs. the one X. The major difference will be load times with the SSD. Other than that what type of performance difference will we actually get when most games on X are running at 4K 60fps.

I would think rendering distances on games like Pub G would improve, however I think this is limited by the developer. I think I need more to drop another $500 over the X

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

The bigger issue with backward compatibility is the publishers not giving permission, wanting to cash in with remastered versions instead. See Call Of Duty 4.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I’ll be interested to see performance specs on this vs. the one X. The major difference will be load times with the SSD. Other than that what type of performance difference will we actually get when most games on X are running at 4K 60fps.

I would think rendering distances on games like Pub G would improve, however I think this is limited by the developer. I think I need more to drop another $500 over the X

Well the X does 6 teraflops, SeX does 12 so...

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
i know that. What benefits are we going to see from it. The X was fairly simple due to its 4K capabilities

Higher quality graphics, better lighting and faster frames at 4K. SSD is meant for load times. The faster CPU and the twice TLFOPS means you can do way more at 4K than the X.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Higher quality graphics, better lighting and faster frames at 4K. SSD is meant for load times. The faster CPU and the twice TLFOPS means you can do way more at 4K than the X.

Other than loading times with SSD, I'll be interested to see side by side comparisons with existing games. I don't believe there will much of a difference initially. The new Halo would be a great test for this as it will be released on the Series X, X and regular One.

Again, the X is already running most games at 4K, 60 FPS. Possibly you'll get a few lest frames dropping.

If mockups are correct the Length and Depth of this console will be less than the Xbox 1X and PS5, the width is much larger but should fit where my current Xbox goes.

Last edited:

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA

You're not getting gameplay like that. 4K 60FPS isn't happening on a $500 machine. It's just recently getting there on a $2000+ PC. Unless you're looking for indie titles with a 16-bit aesthetic but we all know people hear 4k 60FPS and immediately jump to AAA games in mind.

It's just like when PS4/Xbox One or when PS4Pro and XBox One S were being released, console makers advertising a new console as being able to run at high resolutions and high framerates but we still have plenty of console games running at 1080p and struggling to even maintain 30FPS at times.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Assuming neither of the PS5 or XBSex are exorbitantly priced I'll get them both as I have for previous generations, hopefully XB comes up with more worthwhile games this time, the XBone was a bit underwhelming for me

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Im going PS5 first next gen (probably Christmas 2021 for me).

By the time im ready for a new Xbox Ill likley look to the "Series S" diskless version. I hope they have a 4K version by that point, as the current rumours suggest the LockHeart diskless new xbox wont support 4k.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
You're not getting gameplay like that. 4K 60FPS isn't happening on a $500 machine. It's just recently getting there on a $2000+ PC. Unless you're looking for indie titles with a 16-bit aesthetic but we all know people hear 4k 60FPS and immediately jump to AAA games in mind.

It's just like when PS4/Xbox One or when PS4Pro and XBox One S were being released, console makers advertising a new console as being able to run at high resolutions and high framerates but we still have plenty of console games running at 1080p and struggling to even maintain 30FPS at times.

Um yeah the X is already doing this on all their 1st party games, fortnite

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Um yeah the X is already doing this on all their 1st party games, fortnite

List of Xbox One X enhanced games - Wikipedia

Not as many high end games as you think for 4K 60FPS. Something like Fortnite is barely tasking even on weak PCs. It's not a very intensive game. And not all first party games are running at 60 FPS and 4K. Then you also have to realize that these games don't always run at 4K but also have dynamic scaling (which means it will change resolutions on the fly to something lower to keep the frames up). Then you have to tack on that image quality is sacrificed for some of these games to actually play 4K/60FPS consistently.

Reactions: Beau Knows

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008

Paddles NEED to be on the default controllers from now on. Makes no sense to exclude them

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
List of Xbox One X enhanced games - Wikipedia

Not as many high end games as you think for 4K 60FPS. Something like Fortnite is barely tasking even on weak PCs. It's not a very intensive game. And not all first party games are running at 60 FPS and 4K. Then you also have to realize that these games don't always run at 4K but also have dynamic scaling (which means it will change resolutions on the fly to something lower to keep the frames up). Then you have to tack on that image quality is sacrificed for some of these games to actually play 4K/60FPS consistently.

Gears, Halo 5, Forza run a consistent 4K 60 FPS on my X. Games that would benefit more are probably Pub G - have not tried it a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad