X. Texas Stars (AHL) Discussion

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I don't think it makes any sense to expect any rookie to push out the likes of Jokipakka and Benn. While it would be nice to have somebody that ready to be that good, those two are a big hurdle. Joki won the battle for 6th pretty decisively IMO, and Jordie was our #4 for a full season's worth of games between last year and the previous campaign.

I thought Johns was going to be the guy to force Management's hand. He was supposedly poised to take a spot on the Hawks d-corps before injury last year, so I figured he had a good chance of making the club as early as opening day.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I thought Johns was going to be the guy to force Management's hand. He was supposedly poised to take a spot on the Hawks d-corps before injury last year, so I figured he had a good chance of making the club as early as opening day.

I think you can make a list of 5 of our defensemen worse than Jokipakka who would have been the every day blackhawks #6.Their depth and cap means somebody comes up; ours means a bunch of guys stay down.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Sean Shapiro ‏@seanshapiro 39s39 seconds ago
#TxStars lines:
McKenzie-Dickinson-Stransky
Hulak-Morin-Ranford
Ully-Dowling-Rallo
Kane-Smith-Elie

Sean Shapiro ‏@seanshapiro 43s44 seconds ago
#TxStars D pairs:
Lindell-Honka
Backman-Blacker
Bystrom-Mangene
Lagace in goal

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Matej Stransky...wow. Possibly our most intriguing enigma of a prospect...

In the T-Stars Calder Cup year, I remember 3 players on that team that left an impression on me. Jyrki Jokipakka, Brett Ritchie, and Matej Stransky...I remember thinking to myself that of those 3, Matej Stransky had the most potential.

4 goals in the last 2 games. I saw his game the other night against San Antonio...his two goals were sinister. Absolutely nasty shots. His skating has improved since his earlier pro days for sure...and yet he still has only 35 pts on the year. A lot of nights he is invisible. When he is on he is a gamebreaker. The best puck-protecting forward on the team. Very good pick skills...and BIG. He's about to turn 23 and he's shown significant statistical improvement this season, doubling his point production from last year.

I think his contract may be up after this season. If it is, I hope that they resign him for at least another year. If he can find some more consistency, he has got the NHL-level shot, size, and puck skills to be a serious contributor at the next level. I hope that we don't give up on him too soon.

Last edited:

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Matej Stransky

Stransky scored another last night on the rush. Another beautiful shot.

That makes it 5 goals in the last 3 games...He's on fire!

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
TEXAS STARS OBSERVATIONS

---Game 1 Against Checkers ---

Backman - Looked bad out there. Hasn't looked steady-eddy for the last handful of games now.

Lindell - Always looking to put the puck on net from distance. I like it.

Hansson - Smooth. Plays both right and left side. Faked slapped from the point and then made a beautiful pass that resulted in a good scoring chance. not afraid to jump in when CP is in the offensive Zone

Stransky - Scored another goal on the rush.

Elie - A lot of hustle, but not very effective. Neither offensively potent, nor physically punishing.

---Game 2 Against Checkers---

Backman - Failed to clear net and we gave up a goal... He's been looking less than dependable for the last handful of games. I losing enthusiasm for him as our dependable D prospect.

Honka - Goal off a nasty slapper. Good outlet passes. He's our best puck-moving D in CP.

Lindell - Showed a little bit of sandpaper in his game that I hadn't before noticed. Again this game he put a lot of rubber on net. Lindell has been looking better to me recently down there.

Stransky - Scored jussi jokinen-style, swing left and pick his spot goal in the shootout...The game-winner. Also looked good in 3-on-3 OT.

Hansson - Played mostly with Lindell. Did nothing that stood out...neither with mistakes or bad plays.

On a separate note, Ully has been missing the last 3 games I've watched. Is he injured??

ChillyDub

Feb 10, 2015
TEXAS STARS OBSERVATIONS

On a separate note, Ully has been missing the last 3 games I've watched. Is he injured??

Ully got hurt on a nasty play towards the end of a game in March. I doubt he's back this season.

Honka was terrible in the first playoff game at CPC. Had two terrible turnovers that led to goals. Needs to get his game together.

Lagace has not been great lately, and the defense hasn't been clearing out the front of the net, not helping him. Jack Campbell is starting tonight.

This team is really missing the talent of Faksa, Shore, and Ritchie. They get Ritchie back tonight, so that will be good.

Unfortunately, Texas seems determined to carry the puck over the blue line and gets stood up right at the blue line over and over and over. There's not a lot of physicality, no dump and chase, and the team has major issues as a result.

Dallas needs to get a couple bigger forwards down in Cedar Park who can be physical. And a couple new goalies.

That being said, Dickinson has looked fantastic, Shore did before he got injured (huge hopes for him), and Stransky can play amazing at times. McKenzie is fun to watch too.

ChillyDub

Feb 10, 2015
Texas won 5-1 to even the series at 1 a piece. Absolutely monster game by McKenzie, who was playing with the flu.

Ritchie being back also helped, and Mangene played well too. Pretty good game overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad