X. Texas Stars (AHL) Discussion

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Seems like Honka is doing pretty well as of late, he's been skating on the top pair for a little over a month now. 8th in the AHL for points among defenseman with 27 (one more than Lindell; the highly thought of center Jason Dickinson has 28, so not bad). I'm much more optimistic about his outlook now than I was back in November when he was pushed down the depth chart and had to eat a healthy scratch.

He won't get called up this year, should see some NHL action next year but probably not in a full time role.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Okay...let's talk a little T-Stars!

I watched the game against San Antonio last week...very poor showing all around.

Lindell - He had a mixed night. A few good defensive plays again. Won a good one-on-one. He misplay a two-on-one in tight on which resulted in a goal.

Johns - Man, can Johns skate...much better skater than Oleksiak for a big man. Great assist on a shorthanded breakout. He is a risk taker. One puck rush ended up costing a scoring chance against on a turnover where Johns had to chase the play going the other way and didn't quite catch up to it.

Dickinson - Creates a lot of chances, but lacks finish.

Ully - not anywhere close to ready. He was invisible this game, and beyond a few flashes of quickness, I haven't seen much from him in the games I've watched.

Elie - maybe a little closer than Ully, but still has a long ways to go. A lot of hustle, but not much else.

Ritchie - Invisible in this game as well. He just doesn't look quite the same...he used to stand out as the best T-Star forward...now he's inconsistent and leaving something to be desired with the exception of his shot.

Backman - Just ok in this game. Not his best showing.

Honka - didn't look bad, but didn't stand out either.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Anybody have thoughts on Ranford? He puts up good numbers so I wonder if he might be a decent 13th forward type for next year. Shore, Dickinson, and Elie seem on course for at least another partial AHL season, Ranford will be cheap and who cares if he sits in the pressbox 2/3s of a season.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Anybody have thoughts on Ranford? He puts up good numbers so I wonder if he might be a decent 13th forward type for next year. Shore, Dickinson, and Elie seem on course for at least another partial AHL season, Ranford will be cheap and who cares if he sits in the pressbox 2/3s of a season.

I think he'll get a shot at an energy player role for us. He and McKenzie will compete for that 4th line role...and Ranford has a good shot at winning it...more offensive skill...less size.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
(San Diego) Gulls fan coming in peace. The T-Stars came in and dissected the Gulls last night -- I think our radio guy said that Ritchie (the older brother of the Gulls' former scoring golden boy) became the 15th player for the T-Stars with 20 points with his four-point night last night. I think your boys have a legitimate shot at contending deep into the AHL post-season this year, from what I've seen of them.

That said, what would it take to get Ritchie on the Gulls? *chuckles*

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
(San Diego) Gulls fan coming in peace. The T-Stars came in and dissected the Gulls last night -- I think our radio guy said that Ritchie (the older brother of the Gulls' former scoring golden boy) became the 15th player for the T-Stars with 20 points with his four-point night last night. I think your boys have a legitimate shot at contending deep into the AHL post-season this year, from what I've seen of them.

That said, what would it take to get Ritchie on the Gulls? *chuckles*

Defense is leaky leaky leaky. Maybe get to the 2nd round before somebody puts a hole below the water line.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Man Dickinson is putting up the points lately. I think he's played about 55 games and he now has 41 points. 15th in AHL scoring

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Man Dickinson is putting up the points lately. I think he's played about 55 games and he now has 41 points. 15th in AHL scoring

I know he started out kind of slow, I wonder if it's around when Shore got injured that he started lighting it up? Big opportunity with the talent Texas has in the forward group.

Edit: Also looked up Honka's numbers today, some decent progression in his numbers already 1 goal and 3 assists better than last years totals in 12 games fewer. Would be curious for anyone who has watched Texas on his defensive game.

Last edited:

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I know he started out kind of slow, I wonder if it's around when Shore got injured that he started lighting it up? Big opportunity with the talent Texas has in the forward group.

Edit: Also looked up Honka's numbers today, some decent progression in his numbers already 1 goal and 3 assists better than last years totals in 12 games fewer. Would be curious for anyone who has watched Texas on his defensive game.

He's still a work-in-progress defensively, but so is just about all of our D down there unfortunately. His numbers are encouraging, and he's still our #1 prospect in my eyes. He's got the highest upside of any of our D prospects in North America.

We've got another logjam coming with Honka, Lindell, Backman, and Johns all looking for icetime on the big club next year...in addition to whoever is left of Nemeth, Jokipakka, and Oleksiak.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
The Chicago Blackhawks have now been out-hit exactly 200 games in a row, not since Nov. 3rd 2013 have the Hawks registered more hits than their opponents. At an average weight of just 197.6 pounds they are the 4th smallest team in the league and they rarely drop the gloves. The Hawks have been one of, if not the, softest team in league for years now. And you know what? They don’t care one iota, while every team in the league is searching for grit to try impose their will physically, the Hawks are sitting back and laughing at them while admiring their 3 Stanley Cup banners from the last 6 seasons.

I'm not sure if the possession numbers back this up with Chicago, but when you have possession more often than not, isn't it reasonable to suggest your opponents would throw more hits than you?

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Also not sure, but I don't doubt it. Chicago focuses on puck possession. As do the Stars. Less need for the physicality, but I remember the Fonz telling Richie Cunningham that "it was important to have hit someone once" if you want the bullies to leave you alone.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I'm not sure if the possession numbers back this up with Chicago, but when you have possession more often than not, isn't it reasonable to suggest your opponents would throw more hits than you?

Well yeah, of course, figured it was inherently obvious and didn't feel the need to include it in my post.

And that's kind of the point, that the Hawks have prioritized having the puck infinity more than physicality and have no problem conceding that aspect of the game. That's not to say a team can't prioritize both, for example the Kings are the best possesion team in hockey and also one of the most physical. The Boston Bruins teams of a couple years ago were much the same. They both out-hit and out-possessed the opposition on a night in, night out basis.

Edit: the Hawk finally snapped their streak at something like 205 straight games, just as an FYI.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
Here's a fact for y'all.

2013 Cup Final

Hawks are getting tossed around by the Bruins. Chara is having his way with the forwards.

Do you know when the tide turned?

It turned when Jonathan Toews, the captain, started going at Chara.

You can argue against it, but it's true.

Not every clean hit needs revenge, what was originally stated was "Our guys were getting run." There's a difference.

It's pretty simple. Always been a part of the game. Not sure what else to say.

And it's not just responding physically to an imposing Chara type but simply being able to defend your turf late in a game like idk... game six against the Ducks?

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
And it's not just responding physically to an imposing Chara type but simply being able to defend your turf late in a game like idk... game six against the Ducks?

Absolutely. All comes with fortitude and attitude, along with ability, and no question physicality plays a role.

Also, Jack Campbell recalled by Texas. In case everyone missed it.

The guy has been completely dominant in the EC. Love to see him keep it going.

Shows that goaltending is mostly mental/confidence.

Hoping he can continue that. He needs to.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Don't hold your breath on that one. Lagace is the unquestionable number 1 now . Campbell got called up because it makes more sense have Campbell ride the pine than Desrosrier .

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Lagace apparently had another great night .Stopped 50+ shots against the Kings AHL team. At this point i kinda want an injury to one of our Finns and Lagace to get called up and somehow take over as a starter for the rest of the season ....

edit : as for Johns . He has a solid year played mostly first pairing with Lindell and did well but not spectacular. Was made Captain over more seasoned veterans in the absense of Morin though so the team trusts him. He and Lindell should both be with the big team next year if they're still here.

edit edit : The way Dickinson stepped up his game with all the injuries to Texas forward core he should be with Dallas next year too . At least as a callup for some games. Wasn't there some article out there a while ago from some guy claiming Dickinson was dissapointing ?

Last edited:

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
To be honest, I am a little disappointed that none of our AHL D prospects could push their way into a permanent top-6 role on the big club so far this year...even with the contract logjam.

I thought Johns would make a near immediate impact. Given his age and physical tools(including his right shot), that was my expectation...I thought he'd push Jordie over to the left side of the last pairing, or push one or more of of Jordie, Nemeth, Jokipakka, or Oleksiak off the team.

Honka had a good year progression-wise and Backman proved to be a somewhat present surprise as one of our most solid D prospects at actually defending.

Lindell, while his numbers look good, still disappointed me from a skill, skating, and defensive-soundness standpoint...granted I probably had higher expectations than most.

I think Honka, if still here next year, actually has a good shot at leapfrogging Johns on the depth chart...possibly even Lindell as well. He's got age, skill, and good hockey IQ on his side.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with our wealth of D talent from a sheer numbers standpoint, but I don't think that there is nobody that is ready to step into the top-4 next year...maaaaaybe Nemeth if you squint hard enough and cross your fingers.

Last edited:

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
I would not be dissapointed that no one forced their way. I don't think Nill ever seriously considered them. For whatever reason Nill seems bent on not putting guys on waivers. Apparently no trade has been available either. The one thing I hope is that a trade is made. If no trade it appears the same problem will happen next year with johns and Backman not waiver eligible.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I get the sense that if Johns, Backman, and/or Honka were given enough of a chance, they could've locked down a spot. There simply wasn't room to provide that chance, though.

I wouldn't view it as much of a slight to them.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I get the sense that if Johns, Backman, and/or Honka were given enough of a chance, they could've locked down a spot. There simply wasn't room to provide that chance, though.

I wouldn't view it as much of a slight to them.

I dunno man. I wish that were the case...and it may be true for Backman in particular, but after watching a good handful of T-Stars games, I don't see Honka or Johns as NHL-ready enough to push anyone out of the top 6 D. Backman is the only one that I think MIGHT have had a chance to make the 3rd pairing.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I don't think it makes any sense to expect any rookie to push out the likes of Jokipakka and Benn. While it would be nice to have somebody that ready to be that good, those two are a big hurdle. Joki won the battle for 6th pretty decisively IMO, and Jordie was our #4 for a full season's worth of games between last year and the previous campaign.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad