Confirmed with Link: Wyatt Kaiser (ELC signed 3yrs $916k aav starts this season)

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
I'll try not to hurt my rotator cuff patting myself on the back but I've been on the Kaiser train for quite a while which was greatly enhanced by his 9-game debut at the end of last season. Nothing guaranteed yet, but when the discussion of which d-prospects will get into the 2023/24 lineup is mostly focused on Phillips and Vlassic and whether or not Korchinski will get more than 9 games - Wyatt Kaiser should not be overlooked. In my opinion he's 2nd only to Korchinski in the d-man prospect pipeline.
You're right on that last part but that's also why he's likely to get more time in the AHL imo- they have designs for him beyond being a blue line body on a bad team. With Vlasic and Phillips, more AHL time won't do much for development and it's time to let those guys prove they can play. Kaiser can play all situations in Rockford for at least half the season and be the go-to guy on the blue line, and be ready for a call-up if someone gets hurt; I think that probably sets him up better to be a top 4 D than starting in the NHL on a shitty team, unless he's so outstanding in camp that they simply can't justify sending him down. But I would want the bar to be set quite high for that

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
I'll try not to hurt my rotator cuff patting myself on the back but I've been on the Kaiser train for quite a while which was greatly enhanced by his 9-game debut at the end of last season. Nothing guaranteed yet, but when the discussion of which d-prospects will get into the 2023/24 lineup is mostly focused on Phillips and Vlassic and whether or not Korchinski will get more than 9 games - Wyatt Kaiser should not be overlooked. In my opinion he's 2nd only to Korchinski in the d-man prospect pipeline.

And in eating my crow. I thought he was overhyped here based on no info just few media talk, but he looks fantastic and had a great stretch coming in last year.

His tools are so translatable that was crystal clear from the very first game.

I'm excited for him. Having him as a second pairing reliable guy to have a heavy D zone flipper pair would be amazing. Between that and Korchinski's eventual offense heavy pair (with Del Mastro/Allen for your third pair) and we are golden on the left side at least.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
And in eating my crow. I thought he was overhyped here based on no info just few media talk, but he looks fantastic and had a great stretch coming in last year.

His tools are so translatable that was crystal clear from the very first game.

I'm excited for him. Having him as a second pairing reliable guy to have a heavy D zone flipper pair would be amazing. Between that and Korchinski's eventual offense heavy pair (with Del Mastro/Allen for your third pair) and we are golden on the left side at least.

I was kidding about patting myself on the back because I've been wrong on prospects as much if not more than I've been right - Wyatt Kalynuk being a recent one.

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
I still maintain when you look for comparables for current Hawks D prospects in relation to past Hawks, Kaiser is the one who reminds me of Keith the most. Obviously some differences in playing style but if he could get close to Keith’s level of play, that would be a major steal/win for Chicago as a fourth round pick.

Reactions: Paul Allen

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
You're right on that last part but that's also why he's likely to get more time in the AHL imo- they have designs for him beyond being a blue line body on a bad team. With Vlasic and Phillips, more AHL time won't do much for development and it's time to let those guys prove they can play. Kaiser can play all situations in Rockford for at least half the season and be the go-to guy on the blue line, and be ready for a call-up if someone gets hurt; I think that probably sets him up better to be a top 4 D than starting in the NHL on a shitty team, unless he's so outstanding in camp that they simply can't justify sending him down. But I would want the bar to be set quite high for that

I agree that most likely Phillips and Vlassic will get first dibs on earning a spot on the Hawks roster because they've put in the time in Rockford whereas Kaiser has not. Plus - if he's going to be moved to RD it would probably be beneficial to do so in Rockford where the competition will be AHL level rather than NHL level.

Reactions: Putt Pirate

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Obviously some differences in playing style but if he could get close to Keith’s level of play, that would be a major steal/win for Chicago as a fourth round pick.

Yeah let’s just hope he can get close to the level of a first ballot hall of famer and multiple Norris winner. If only….

• Haha
Reactions: Larmer83 and Pez68

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad