GDT: WWE Royal Rumble (27th January 2019) - Part 3

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
WWE has this crazy ability to constantly mess up with Seth Rollins even though they WANT to push him. They just always choose the wrong time. Bring him back from his knee injury as a heel when fans wanted to cheer him, postpone his Triple H angle for months and leaving him in limbo and with a serious momentum halt, and now they want to make him the guy but he was white hot and the time to do it was in the summer.

I liked your entire post. One thing I would like to add purely from a self-indulging bitter WWE nerd standpoint. There was a great period in 2014-2015 where WWE suddenly got really awesome. This was when Lesnar was in peak rampage mode and had just murdered Cena. Also probably my favorite storyline since the 90s of Ambrose Vs. Rollins after the Shield breakup was in peak heat. I was soooo excited about this as for awhile they were doing everything perfectly to set up a beautiful lifelong feud and the company was going to be resurrected behind Lesnar and the two hottest young talents in the company. But alas, this is WWE which means Ambrose gave Rollins a briefcase triggered to explode with slime like we're f***ing 10 year olds and that was the end of that.

Rollins was peak Rollins when he was the villain who f***ed over The Shield and joined the Corporation. But he's just been floating in a boring heatless upper-mid card void for years now.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I thought they made all the NXT entrants look legit, which I really liked. Gargano embarrassed a former WWE champion. Dunne worked pretty much everyone in the ring. Black eliminating Dean makes me very excited for his future. Xia looked legit against Charlotte. Kairi, Io, Kacy and Candice (let her fight Ciampa, you cowards) all got a chance to shine. And Ripley looked like a monster.

Damn I forgot about Dunne. Never seen him wrestle before last night but he was flat out owning everyone in the ring with those joint manipulation moves. :laugh:

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I'm also getting tired of them abusing the whole "both feet have to touch the floor" spots. Just make it if you hit the god damn floor, you're done. One foot, two feet, whatever.

Nerds bouncing around on barriers, flopping around on their backs like beached trout. It's getting ridiculous.

Last edited:

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I'm also getting tired of them abusing the whole "both feet have to touch the floor" spots. Just make it if you hit the god damn floor, you're done. One foot, two feet, whatever.

Ya was kinda over the top. If you call on your ass outside the ring you should be eliminated. It would of been cute if it was one time but they did that spot like 4 or 5 times throug out the night.

But whatever I guess its just for funs and to give some people a bit of a shine. In the end it breaks up the punch kick and hugging at the ropes that goes on.

Also was it just me or did JJ go through the 2nd rope?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I wasn't a fan of it but these people would be *****ing regardless. Ooooh someone think of the kids!

**** off Lou.

I know, right?

Guy's acting as if the vast majority of the audience even wanted her in the ****ing match to begin with. What does he expect, that all the men voluntarily eliminate themselves and let Nia win, in fear of breaking some code of chivalry that I somehow forgot exists in wrestling? :laugh:

Chyna
Beth Phoenix
Kharma

I'm sure there are others but Nia was hardly the first woman to compete in a Royal Rumble, and got treated just the same as the ones before her.

Yeah I felt they did go a bit over the top with that, too many wrestlers landing on their back with their legs in the air and thus "not eliminated yet". Announcers were of course all over that, setting up the next "big save".

That said, like I mentioned earlier I was really impressed by Catanzaro's pull-up move. Girl looks like she weighs about 80lbs so it's probably a lot easier for her than it'd be for, say, Samoa Joe, but still, hella impressive.

On a related note, props to Naomi for pulling off the walk on the padded barricade to get back in as well.....looked shaky for a bit there. I'm surprised that for all of these saves, there hasn't been one ****-up, from her, or Kofi (twice last night :laugh:), or anyone else. They always pull it off.

Reactions: FacepalmBenning

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Catanzaro is going to be a star. She might never be champion, but people can and will get behind her as an underdog.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Was Lashley's elimination a botch?

I know it led to the table spot with Rollins, but something about the way he dropped off the apron made it look like it wasn't supposed to happen yet. You'd think the new IC champ would get a longer run in the Rumble, right?

My first thought was that he botched the rope grab, eliminated himself accidentally, then Rollins saw this and they called an audible to do the table spot early, putting Rollins out until it was down to just a few guys.

Also.....I didn't notice until about halfway through the match that there was a female ref. When did that happen? :laugh:

Has she worked any Raw or Smackdown shows?

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I’m leaning more and more towards Balor/Brock being better than the AJ or Bryan matches. The latter two found openings after getting killed by Brock. Balor was pummeling him from the start and was on offense more than Brock was. Brock sold like death for Finn, and Finn can literally say Brock got lucky that he kept the arm open on the pin. Balor was in control for the large majority of that match, and Brock knew it, hence the post-match attack. He knew Finn embarrassed him.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Was Lashley's elimination a botch?

I know it led to the table spot with Rollins, but something about the way he dropped off the apron made it look like it wasn't supposed to happen yet. You'd think the new IC champ would get a longer run in the Rumble, right?

My first thought was that he botched the rope grab, eliminated himself accidentally, then Rollins saw this and they called an audible to do the table spot early, putting Rollins out until it was down to just a few guys.

Also.....I didn't notice until about halfway through the match that there was a female ref. When did that happen? :laugh:

Has she worked any Raw or Smackdown shows?
It wasn’t a botch.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I’m leaning more and more towards Balor/Brock being better than the AJ or Bryan matches. The latter two found openings after getting killed by Brock. Balor was pummeling him from the start and was on offense more than Brock was. Brock sold like death for Finn, and Finn can literally say Brock got lucky that he kept the arm open on the pin. Balor was in control for the large majority of that match, and Brock knew it, hence the post-match attack. He knew Finn embarrassed him.

That was a great match. I was watching at a buddy's house and he was convinced it'd be a squash match, that they didn't match up well.

I knew going in that Lesnar actually WANTED to work with Balor so it'd go the distance. Still would've been surprised if Balor had won, but I really liked how they wrote that match, even mentioning the diverticulitis after that table spot, and how Brock was selling it afterwards, nearly too weak to hit an F5.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
It wasn’t a botch.

So between him, and Titus, and No Way Jose, and I think one or two more that were gone in the blink of an eye, what's the point of writing a match that has that happen so often? At least get a story going, maybe build a rivalry. Instead No Way just dances his way backstage after getting beat up by Drew, like it's nothing. :laugh:

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I know, right?

Guy's acting as if the vast majority of the audience even wanted her in the ****ing match to begin with. What does he expect, that all the men voluntarily eliminate themselves and let Nia win, in fear of breaking some code of chivalry that I somehow forgot exists in wrestling? :laugh:

Chyna
Beth Phoenix
Kharma

I'm sure there are others but Nia was hardly the first woman to compete in a Royal Rumble, and got treated just the same as the ones before her.

This is my big problem with it aside from the logic gap of trying to pit men against women. First of all, no one really wants to see a woman get punched in the face by a man. However if you're going to pit women against men, then inevitably a man is going to have to punch them in the face because that's literally the biggest part of this thing. So it just creates weird lame illogical things like this where neither these uber-sensitive male babies are happy or hardcore wrestling fans are happy.

I'm not saying there can't be good women vs. men spots or matches. I'm not even saying Nix Jaxx popping up in the Rumble couldn't have been good if done in a creative way. But last night was just such weak illogical low energy shit which is WWE's specialty. When Becky did it, there was collusion between two potato farmers (Irish people ruin everything) but this tub of goo can just beat up a long-time veteran in the company and run in the ring? It was f***ing stupid and hamfisted trying to force this.

I too thought the pop when she got thrown out was one of if not the biggest pops of the night and that's not to be dismissed as a positive but that's also an indictment on how shit your product is.

Amazing Kong is probably my favorite female wrestler of all time. Nia Jaxx and her booking is no Amazing Kong. Every time Nia Jaxx appears on my screen, I'm irritated she's not Amazing Kong.

Also, I haven't seen it mentioned but Ember Moon gave one of the stiffest shots I think I saw last night to that big Aussie NXT chick and completely rang her bell. Not sure if it'll be ever mentioned anywhere but Ember Moon gave this flying kick straight to the Jaw of the big Aussie chick that I was sure f***ed that Aussie chick up. Looked absolutely brutal.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Someone mentioned her earlier but yea Rhea Ripley looked like a star and if she can talk she should be on Raw/smack down right now.

Becky/Rhonda and Charlotte vs. Asuka is where they need to go, stories are already built in; Asuka comes in as champion this time as opposed to last year when she was the one chasing the title; Becky vs. Rhonda is your main event; don’t mess it up wwe

There’s so much talent in the wwe yet we still get such bad booming; I love Shane but when you have talent like AoP (injured), the revival etc. doing nothing Shane shouldn’t be near the titles.

Reactions: FacepalmBenning

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Lynch/Rousey
Flair/Asuka
Rollins/Bryan
Lesnar/Balor

is exactly where this needs to go. The more WWE-predictable alternative isn't terrible either to be perfectly honest (Lynch/Rousey/Flair, Rollins/Lesnar, Styles/Bryan, Asuka/???) - WWE has done a a decent job of giving them self some flexibility with the World title matches.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Someone mentioned her earlier but yea Rhea Ripley looked like a star and if she can talk she should be on Raw/smack down right now.

Becky/Rhonda and Charlotte vs. Asuka is where they need to go, stories are already built in; Asuka comes in as champion this time as opposed to last year when she was the one chasing the title; Becky vs. Rhonda is your main event; don’t mess it up wwe

There’s so much talent in the wwe yet we still get such bad booming; I love Shane but when you have talent like AoP (injured), the revival etc. doing nothing Shane shouldn’t be near the titles.

I can't stand Shane. Was pulling hard for the Bar to retain last night. :shakehead

Nepotism personified. Sure he pulls off the odd crowdpleaser in the ring, like last night's finisher, and he can be a spot monkey at times, I just really wish they stopped giving him matches.

It's not surprising that other wrestlers are getting fed up with the way their characters are being developed, while the boss's son gets a push and a title.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Lynch/Rousey
Flair/Asuka
Rollins/Bryan
Lesnar/Balor

is exactly where this needs to go. The more WWE-predictable alternative isn't terrible either to be perfectly honest (Lynch/Rousey/Flair, Rollins/Lesnar, Styles/Bryan, Asuka/???) - WWE has done a a decent job of giving them self some flexibility with the World title matches.

At least one of those will be a triple threat match, I bet. I still think Charlotte's had more title match opportunities than the other three combined. She can afford to take a back seat this time around.

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I can't stand Shane. Was pulling hard for the Bar to retain last night. :shakehead

Nepotism personified. Sure he pulls off the odd crowdpleaser in the ring, like last night's finisher, and he can be a spot monkey at times, I just really wish they stopped giving him matches.

It's not surprising that other wrestlers are getting fed up with the way their characters are being developed, while the boss's son gets a push and a title.

I'm to the point of watching only Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania now and virtually no other programming through the year. It's just all such shit and Shane is the biggest example of this. Last night he looked noticeably older, slower and more rickety than when I last saw him. It's such a disconnect to think this old man and the boss' kid can go with the Premiere wrestling talents on the planet. It's f***ing stupid and it's a sign of how silly this worldwide multi-billion dollar corporation can be. He doesn't even look good or convincing anymore as he flails around like a third grader trying to emulate fighting he's seen on TV. But he's getting so old and rickety now that it just looks worse and worse. Can't stand Shane as an on-screen character or wrestler but I look forward to the inevitable switch when he turns into an Evil Vince character... hopefully...

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Shane was fine in a mid-card spot. He shouldn't be working main matches, but a program like this is fine. Dude brings people out of their seats like few others can.

MizMac won't be holding the titles for long. I imagine we'll see one of them turn on the other and a blow off match at Mania'.

Miz is making it work story wise, and Shane is making the matches fun. Not a main feud. It's being done right.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad