GDT: WWE Royal Rumble (27th January 2019) - Part 3

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Jarrett was nostalgia though. And he got the crowd into it. So you can say what you want about fans, but the Jarrett spot was far more over than some of the other entrants.

And Nia got some huge heat and then Dolph got the hugest pop of the night kicking her in the face.

It's more so guys like Shelton and Apollo and Titus that didn't need to be in (although Titus' spot was fun and giving Hawkins something was also fun).

I laughed when Apollo got tossed out and Cole got the call wrong, saying it was Shelton Benjamin. I guess with two black guys in the Rumble at the same time, it's hard to tell them apart. :sarcasm:

Also, Jarrett got the crowd into it?

If the crowd isn't already into the Royal Rumble, WWE's got bigger problems that even Jeff Jarrett can't fix. ;)

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Up until Nia I thought the Men's Rumble was going really well. The guys who should have a good showing were having a good showing (Ali, Almas, Gargano, Black etc) but then it came crashing down in the most WWE thing possible. Nia tossing Ali is borderline as bad when Kane and Big Show tossed all fan favourites a few years ago with no real fanfare...including Wyatt who had eliminated 7 guys and was approaching an hour.

Speaking of Wyatt. Jesus. Just give this guy his release already. They obviously won't but come on. It's been 5 months.

Bryan forming some sort of Vegan Society. They really are just taking Punk's gimmick here

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Up until Nia I thought the Men's Rumble was going really well. The guys who should have a good showing were having a good showing (Ali, Almas, Gargano, Black etc) but then it came crashing down in the most WWE thing possible. Nia tossing Ali is borderline as bad when Kane and Big Show tossed all fan favourites a few years ago with no real fanfare...including Wyatt who had eliminated 7 guys and was approaching an hour.

Speaking of Wyatt. Jesus. Just give this guy his release already. They obviously won't but come on. It's been 5 months.

Bryan forming some sort of Vegan Society. They really are just taking Punk's gimmick here

Seriously, I just don't get it. He hasn't been injured, he's just.....not been used. At all. What a waste by WWE Creative to have him sitting on the sidelines.

Still hoping, and I know it's a longshot, that he shows up on one of the two shows this week. It's been too long.

And yeah, I said earlier about Nia that it was just Vince trolling the fans because he knows how much everyone hates her. There was zero point in having her enter the match....not to mention the fact that she screwed R-Truth out of the #30 spot that he won in the MMC. So what happens now, does Carmella go after Nia for what she did? Does R Truth get a title shot for his missed opportunity?

Probably more likely that WWE just moves on as if it never happened.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I'm just thinking...Lashley put Seth through a table so he could take his nap and emerge during the final four. Pay close attention to the graphic the WWE displayed at the beginning of the Rumble. It says the winner gets "a championship match".

What if Rollins chooses to face Lashley for the Intercontinental Title? Lame I know, but I could see it.
That’s not going to happen lol. “Championship match” just replaces what used to read “main event Wrestlemania.”

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO

It is mind boggling especially after Cena went out of his way to put Wyatt over

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
I thought the rumble was awful and a waste of time. Granted I haven’t watched much at all lately and was really only watching for some old guys returning. Maybe for a storyline purposes it was ok but pretty bleak for casuals

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Wyatt is the biggest mystery to me. You have this guaranteed star in your back pocket and the last time he was a part of something meaningful, you almost made him a transvestite which would have absolutely destroyed his character.

I just don’t understand it. Wyatt was the easiest star to make and they f***ed it up.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I hope Lesnar is there tonight and Heyman talks as if Lesnar did usual Lesnar things, but then Balor comes out and straight up says he got lucky because he was kicking Lesnar’s ass all over the ring and that Lesnar didn’t beat him, but Finn beat himself because he didn’t do what he had to do, but next time, he “won’t let the demon rest.”

Set up Balor winning an elimination chamber for the title match, Seth wants the WWE Title in Smackdown and there you go:

Becky/Ronda
Demon/Beast
Rollins/Bryan

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Wyatt is the biggest mystery to me. You have this guaranteed star in your back pocket and the last time he was a part of something meaningful, you almost made him a transvestite which would have absolutely destroyed his character.

I just don’t understand it. Wyatt was the easiest star to make and they ****ed it up.

What happens to everyone who should be a star?

Next year with 2 Rumbles, they need to schedule an intermission or something after the first one. They could bring out anybody and people aren't going to react. Go to the panel or something. and waste some time. Just don't make that a reason to make it a 7-hour show.

Reactions: ColePens

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I laughed when Apollo got tossed out and Cole got the call wrong, saying it was Shelton Benjamin. I guess with two black guys in the Rumble at the same time, it's hard to tell them apart. :sarcasm:

Also, Jarrett got the crowd into it?

If the crowd isn't already into the Royal Rumble, WWE's got bigger problems that even Jeff Jarrett can't fix. ;)
I mean they sang along with him. Apollo and Benjamin got zero reaction.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Like what the **** are they doing with Bray at this point?

Part of me is worried that he's going to come out as some comedy act, like they did with Brodus Clay. What a disaster that would be.

I'd rather Wyatt just cut bait and head to AEW, than waste more time with Vince if that's all they have planned for him.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Part of me is worried that he's going to come out as some comedy act, like they did with Brodus Clay. What a disaster that would be.

I'd rather Wyatt just cut bait and head to AEW, than waste more time with Vince if that's all they have planned for him.

I don't think they'll make him a comedy act.

I think at most they will drop the 'Eater of Worlds' darkness stuff, and just make him some hillbilly crazy person.

But more likely, they'll just continue to misuse the character he was.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I don't think they'll make him a comedy act.

I think at most they will drop the 'Eater of Worlds' darkness stuff, and just make him some hillbilly crazy person.

But more likely, they'll just continue to misuse the character he was.

I'd be fine if they went back to the Waylon Mercy clone gimmick he had when he first broke out in FCW.

Just a sweet-talking Cajun monster. :laugh:

Reactions: GarbageGoal

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Truthfully. The Wyatt character doesn't really need to be reworked. The only reason he originally needed a repackage was because WWE f***ed him up so often that the character lost all credibility and the content of the promos, which already weird, became downright illogical in every sense. If they had simply booked him well this wouldn't have been an issue. At all.

Maybe they're hoping if they keep him off TV long enough everybody will forget all the negative and it'll just be a soft reset.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Truthfully. The Wyatt character doesn't really need to be reworked. The only reason he originally needed a repackage was because WWE ****ed him up so often that the character lost all credibility and the content of the promos, which already weird, became downright illogical in every sense. If they had simply booked him well this wouldn't have been an issue. At all.

Maybe they're hoping if they keep him off TV long enough everybody will forget all the negative and it'll just be a soft reset.

Pepperidge Farms remembers.

Frankly the longer this goes, the worse WWE looks because everyone knows he's being misused, and Creative dropped the ball so spectacularly with his push.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I hope Lesnar is there tonight and Heyman talks as if Lesnar did usual Lesnar things, but then Balor comes out and straight up says he got lucky because he was kicking Lesnar’s ass all over the ring and that Lesnar didn’t beat him, but Finn beat himself because he didn’t do what he had to do, but next time, he “won’t let the demon rest.”

Set up Balor winning an elimination chamber for the title match, Seth wants the WWE Title in Smackdown and there you go:

Becky/Ronda
Demon/Beast
Rollins/Bryan

It seems like a logical way to go. I was having difficulty finding a reason why Seth Rollins would go for Bryan instead of Brock, but I feel like you can spin it as Rollins has been watching Bryan lose himself on SmackDown, and he wants to try and bring Bryan back type of thing. Say he's already beat Brock at WrestleMania, but has never had a 1v1 match against Bryan at a Pay-Per-View before.

I think the Brock/Balor story is set up nicely. I'd have Balor speak more about how he dominated Lesner and for a moment got overconfident and let his guard down, and Brock caught him, but next time, that won't happen because the Demon in him doesn't stop until the job gets done type thing.

I'm still not convinced Charlotte doesn't end up in the Main Event somehow, but either way, I think it'll be really good.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
I thought they made all the NXT entrants look legit, which I really liked. Gargano embarrassed a former WWE champion. Dunne worked pretty much everyone in the ring. Black eliminating Dean makes me very excited for his future. Xia looked legit against Charlotte. Kairi, Io, Kacy and Candice (let her fight Ciampa, you cowards) all got a chance to shine. And Ripley looked like a monster.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad