GDT: WWE NXT TakeOver Brooklyn III

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I was hoping Asuka would tease all three with using some of their moves. Becky hi-fived me on her way out :o

Ember needed the work on her character but she was getting over in Full Sail more in recent weeks and was way over in the building. Only match that got loud dueling chants and I thought was the match that was most over in the building. And the most intense, and I wasn't even able to see much of Ember's selling when she wasn't getting 3-counts, which watching it back was really awesome.

Black's match with KOR on NXT was better than this one with Itami, imo. Surprised to see how over it is here, Mauro and JR must have done a lot of work to make that sound better it was live. I thought Black was selling too much to Itami and they seemed more worried about putting Black over while making Itami look strong. Black's entrance was awesome, but it was the match with the least heat of the five main-show matches, and easily the worst of the five. We also had Kenny Omega next to us constantly burying the match itself, so that might be in my head.

On Black and Itami. I somewhat agree.

It was a great match in a vacuum, but the wrong type of match for Black to have. And at the same time it was the correct match for Itami to have. Black should have been really protected in his match, the old 'sell like Undertaker' line really fits, except Black is too small for that exactly. Seeing him selling so much sucks, and it's a problem that was happening at the live shows too. Especially with Itami still being very much liked and not really a heel to everyone yet. The Best thing would probably to have had Black no sell more, but then it's hard to Itami to look like the heel when he really needed to.

It's not an easy fix without changing the match, but I don't see an alternative match to make knowing what is going to happen next. So I think it was probably correct match to do in the end anyway.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I like that Black sells so much. it makes him into this "I may look beatable but any second im could Black Mass your head into space" deadly machine

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I like that Black sells so much. it makes him into this "I may look beatable but any second im could Black Mass your head into space" deadly machine
The problem is that that's just WWE match layout 101. And as a general rule it sucks.

It's far better for Black's character as a badass killer to actually no-sell the heels and kill them with his move, not to get beaten up for 10mins before hitting one move à la Reigns of past. That style works for other characters, I just don't think it fits Black at all. And even then, it's far easier for people to get behind someone who actually does well in matches and beats people.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
A guy Black's size can't pull off no-selling imo. The Undertaker could get away with it because he was 6'10" and 300+ pounds. Black's character may be a similar "final boss" type with an aura, but he's too small to pull off the no-selling for long periods, imo.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
The problem is that that's just WWE match layout 101. And as a general rule it sucks.

It's far better for Black's character as a badass killer to actually no-sell the heels and kill them with his move, not to get beaten up for 10mins before hitting one move à la Reigns of past. That style works for other characters, I just don't think it fits Black at all. And even then, it's far easier for people to get behind someone who actually does well in matches and beats people.
Black still got offense. It wasn't like a Reigns match. Black didn't fire up before his move of doom or get hit with 17 chair shots 40 seconds before the finish.

Faces no selling **** is ****ing stupid.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
There are different types of no-selling. The Undertaker big-man style of staggering around opposed to being knocked down won't work, but you can do it a different way.

With Black I think you could have him be knocked down by moves or whatever, but then have him stagger back to his feat. Nothing will keep him down, he always gets back up for more. He can still sell the damage being done, but do it more 'ignoring the pain' way instead of favouring the injured body part. Commentary will need to carry that a bit, but you can still do it.

You should also avoid the prolonged beatings in his matches, don't make him sell getting beaten up for 5mins. Instead you have him take a couple of strong moves then stagger back to his feat and have the heel sell the fact he got up. But that's a general rule of layout your matches to protect a guy's gimmick, which should be followed anyway.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Dave said Asuka/Ember could be the second best women's match in WWE ever and I may agree, especially with my bias, do with it went actually over 15 minutes though, but I think 14, you can have that match.

Honestly I might agree too. It definitely was the best since Sasha/Bayley. It was that good.

I also enjoyed how Asuka was jawing at the Horsewomen at the beginning of the match. I'm ready for it.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Honestly I might agree too. It definitely was the best since Sasha/Bayley. It was that good.

I also enjoyed how Asuka was jawing at the Horsewomen at the beginning of the match. I'm ready for it.

Agreed. Nothing the main roster women have done comes close to Bayley/Sasha or Auska/Ember II

Bayley/Auska II was fantastic as well

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I kind of feel pretty awful for Itami. Injuries have killed him and I don't think he is done breaking down.

I'm not sure how high they thought of him, but I'm not sure he will ever reach his peak.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I kind of feel pretty awful for Itami. Injuries have killed him and I don't think he is done breaking down.

I'm not sure how high they thought of him, but I'm not sure he will ever reach his peak.

I don't see any world titles in his future sadly, his heel gimmick is great tho. Could see him being an IC champ

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
For everyone that was sleeping on AOP don't forget both are '93 and '94 Bdays. 24/25 years old they are both still very young.

As far as Itami goes, he came to WWE to late and to many injuries. DBry and CM Punk basically stole his entire move set. He is most likely getting called up to, either SDL or 205 live.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
probably woulda been good for Itami to the the CW title rub from Neville but what can you do

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
For everyone that was sleeping on AOP don't forget both are '93 and '94 Bdays. 24/25 years old they are both still very young.

As far as Itami goes, he came to WWE to late and to many injuries. DBry and CM Punk basically stole his entire move set. He is most likely getting called up to, either SDL or 205 live.

I'm a 94 and I'm 23. Your ages are off a tad. :laugh:

Only watch NXT. Loved this card. Had a rough six months-ish transitioning to the new era of guys (Black, Drew, ROH guys), etc. I know that ROH group is here but I thought they should have pushed Gargano to the absolute top, main event scene before being attacked setting up the Tommy match-up.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'm a 94 and I'm 23. Your ages are off a tad. :laugh:

Only watch NXT. Loved this card. Had a rough six months-ish transitioning to the new era of guys (Black, Drew, ROH guys), etc. I know that ROH group is here but I thought they should have pushed Gargano to the absolute top, main event scene before being attacked setting up the Tommy match-up.

I think they still will, but they want to wait so he can properly feud with Ciampa, which is totally fine IMO. That feud is money.

They would be out to lunch to not want to capitalize on how over Johnny Wrestling is.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
There are different types of no-selling. The Undertaker big-man style of staggering around opposed to being knocked down won't work, but you can do it a different way.

With Black I think you could have him be knocked down by moves or whatever, but then have him stagger back to his feat. Nothing will keep him down, he always gets back up for more. He can still sell the damage being done, but do it more 'ignoring the pain' way instead of favouring the injured body part. Commentary will need to carry that a bit, but you can still do it.

You should also avoid the prolonged beatings in his matches, don't make him sell getting beaten up for 5mins. Instead you have him take a couple of strong moves then stagger back to his feat and have the heel sell the fact he got up. But that's a general rule of layout your matches to protect a guy's gimmick, which should be followed anyway.
Oh so you want him booked like Reigns.

Austin got his ass kicked plenty.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Rewatching bits now.

-Johnny is OVER AF
-Tag wrestling in NXT is amazing
-Black Mass is such a killer finisher. I also miss JR
-Asuka is on a whole other level, the aura around her is something else. She is the final boss.
-I'll never get tired of Roodes entrance

Last edited:

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
I don't have any issues with Black selling. My only complaint about the match was they should have built up to the finish a bit more with Black getting in more offense.

Also, what is this Kenny Omega conversation? Lol. Some dude dressed as Kenny?

Last edited:

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Changed my mind. Keep Asuka in NXT. Vince and Bucky beaver will **** her up.

That's what I think everytime somebody suggests Asuka should be on RAW or Smackdown asap to shake things up a little. NXT stars get called up to become uninteresting and we should want the guys we really like to stay "down there" as long as possible.

Edit: And no wrestler in the world can save or better "resurrect" the main shows anyway. Not as long as they don't get some good writers.

Last edited:

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
That's what I think everytime somebody suggests Asuka should be on RAW or Smackdown asap to shake things up a little. NXT stars get called up to become uninteresting and we should want the guys we really like to stay "down there" as long as possible.

Edit: And no wrestler in the world can save or better "resurrect" the main shows anyway. Not as long as they don't get some good writers.
I can't think of one wrestler who has came up that's been bigger than they were in NXT except Bliss and Carmella. Maybe Charlotte. Would have said Corbin until the last week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad