WtF 2 games in 3 weeks???

Emotive

Oct 6, 2017
What? We play 2 games this week, have the same mandated week off every team gets for the all star break and then play 3 games the week after. They also play Arizona on the 4th so that’s 6 games in that 3 week span starting tomorrow, so where are you getting these numbers from? :huh:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
What? We play 2 games this week, have the same mandated week off every team gets for the all star break and then play 3 games the week after. They also play Arizona on the 4th so that’s 6 games in that 3 week span starting tomorrow, so where are you getting these numbers from? :huh:
Just someone throwing shit at the wall.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
We played calgary sat, we have 2 games this week then 2 weeks off pretty much played Calgary on the 11, play them again on 29th with only 2 games before. So do the math your self. Its 2 weeks off

My point is no team should have the mandated week off tied into an extended break like Christmas or new year's and of course all star weekend

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
We played calgary sat, we have 2 games this week then 2 weeks off pretty much played Calgary on the 11, play them again on 29th with only 2 games before. So do the math your self. Its 2 weeks off

My point is no team should have the mandated week off tied into an extended break like Christmas or new year's and of course all star weekend
Why not? It lets the boys get away somewhere warm for a 8-10 day holiday with their wife/gf and then a day or two to get back in to the swing of things. What’s wrong with that?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Why not? It lets the boys get away somewhere warm for a 8-10 day holiday with their wife/gf and then a day or two to get back in to the swing of things. What’s wrong with that?

For one thing its the middle of Siberia time in Edmonton during all that break. If theres one time you really want to see some hockey its when theres little else you want to be doing going out in -40

If one has the notion (and a lot of Canadian kids and adults do) that playing and watching hockey is one of the best ways to get through interminable winter then the NHL schedule and ASG week long break (which is a relatively new thing) is f***ing annoying.

But for Oilers fans that don't see many playoffs, and are almost always in hockey withdrawal the long breaks always suck.

I like it fine when theres a game every other day mode going on.

How would people like it if Netflix took a two week break off during the Emmy's or some such shit?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The all-star weekend sucks as does the mandated week off.

Might as well put them together and just have one longer stretch of suck.

Reactions: bone

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
From an Oilers performance pov it also sucks. The team had a losing streak essentially because its top players eat too much toi, too many crucial moments, and were dead in the water for a couple weeks. How helpful would a mandated break be then? To have a week ASG break AND a team mandated week break CONTIGUOUS is the least helpful break possible. Because the Oilers get only the ONE break and not two, distributed through the schedule.

Similarly, in the CFL teams complain about getting one of their bye weeks at the start, or end of the schedule because its not helpful to have the breaks there. The breaks should be to break up the meat of the schedule.

The OP concern is easy to understand.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Zach gets a 2 game suspension and he's out of hockey for 18 days...

just saying.

lol, here I was a bit amped to see the Next installment of BOA which is "Two games from now", and its over 2 weeks away..

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think it’s great. I plan a vacation around it so I don’t miss any Oiler games. Only this year I had to cut it short and only gone a few days.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
For one thing its the middle of Siberia time in Edmonton during all that break. If theres one time you really want to see some hockey its when theres little else you want to be doing going out in -40

If one has the notion (and a lot of Canadian kids and adults do) that playing and watching hockey is one of the best ways to get through interminable winter then the NHL schedule and ASG week long break (which is a relatively new thing) is ****ing annoying.

But for Oilers fans that don't see many playoffs, and are almost always in hockey withdrawal the long breaks always suck.

I like it fine when theres a game every other day mode going on.

How would people like it if Netflix took a two week break off during the Emmy's or some such ****?
Well to be fair most programs take a break during over the holiday seasons, at least regular TV shows.

Or is normal TV not a thing anymore?

Maybe it's just me, I hate binge-watching so I stick to regular TV as much as possible.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Every team has their mandated 5 day break either just before or just after the ASG, so it's fair to everyone. Flames have the same days off as us, except they play St Louis on Jan 28, the day before they play us, so we may have some rust, but they are playing back to backs, so should be in our favor.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Every team has their mandated 5 day break either just before or just after the ASG, so it's fair to everyone. Flames have the same days off as us, except they play St Louis on Jan 28, the day before they play us, so we may have some rust, but they are playing back to backs, so should be in our favor.

Thanks for the clarification on when these breaks occur. In the end then its the fans that suffer watching one of 82 games where the star players are exhausted and not 100%. The rest provided by stacking the ASG break and the mandated week off together is probably not the most effective alignment of breaks with a view to optimal performance and play. The breaks should be spread out like they are in the CFL. No logical reason not to do it.

Nor do players that have anywhere from 2-4mths off a season require extended vacay breaks DURING the season. This is NHLPA directed "just for us" dictum that doesn't benefit the league or its fans or any corollary business that depends on some of the revenue. Anything from restos, bars, hotels, service industries are impacted by the lengthy breaks. Its extended compromised revenue time.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Personally, I think the players probably like it. Gives them extra time to heal up nagging injuries, etc. Should be a really healthy, motivated team coming back after the break.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Appletons.

Not really a dark, thats an amber rum and not too great. Albeit Appletons makes one popular reserve aged rum. But not what most people think of as Appletons.

Standard Darks would be Kraken, Old Port, Old Monk, (both east indian rum and widely available here)None are bad choices. By all means though buy the east indian rums on sale instead of the overpriced Kraken.

Steps up would be Baron Samedi, Trader Vics, Myers Plantation, Coruba, Gosling Black seal, Mount Gay, Flor De Cana aged 12 or more (all reasonable choices and better than standard swill.

Better still would be Pyrat, Zacapa, Angostura

Wines and Beyond is a great place and they do some samples if you ask and at different times theres testings for those that really want to try different varieties.

Gosling Black seal is often on sale and probably the best starting point to try a rum with a decent reputation that offers more than a standard rum experience and more complex flavors. Its reasonably priced. Drink that and you know why you never buy stuff like Captain Morgan or Lambs. By all means never buy Malibu, that's what giggling girls or Matthew Tkachuk drink.

For a decent mixer, always on sale, try Amrut Old Port. A nice dark with complex flavors. Better imo than the better selling Old Monk which is more like black molasses. 25 bucks and you get an attractively unique labeled Black rum that somehow speaks rums days of lore, and that can impress anybody from a novice to somebody that appreciates good rum. Its my darkhorse, pun intended.

Amrut Old Port Deluxe Rum - Review

Last edited:

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The all-star weekend sucks as does the mandated week off.

Might as well put them together and just have one longer stretch of suck.

Agreed. I think everyone's bye should be either the week before or the week after the all-star game. Makes it easier for the guys play in the All Star game as they'll get a bit of a break like their peers and for the majority who don't make game, a real prolonged break for them to just get away and recharge. I'd even take it a step further and make all teams in the same conference get the same break whether before or after.

As a spectator it sucks as there's nothing to watch, but I think it's good for the players. And likely better than it was a few years ago where the guys had a five or six day break then cram in 6 games in 10 days only to have another five or six day break.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Well to be fair most programs take a break during over the holiday seasons, at least regular TV shows.

Maybe it's just me, I hate binge-watching so I stick to regular TV as much as possible.

Furthermore "traditional" (traditional TV show schedules aren't "normal" anymore) shows take a break in the award season as well. It's been a thing for some time.

Reactions: LaGu

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Nor do players that have anywhere from 2-4mths off a season require extended vacay breaks DURING the season. This is NHLPA directed "just for us" dictum that doesn't benefit the league or its fans or any corollary business that depends on some of the revenue. Anything from restos, bars, hotels, service industries are impacted by the lengthy breaks. Its extended compromised revenue time.

NBA does it as well. Most teams are off 9-11 days around the all-star game. Even athletes can use the recharge. So let's see. NBA does it. NHL does it. NFL gets its byes. CFL gets them. MLB doesn't but that league is well known for playing way more games than optimal.

I don't see this as an NHLPA just for us dictum but rather a noted requirement to optimize athlete performance across leagues.

Again I hate it as a fan, but think it's the right thing for the league.

o98

Feb 26, 2003
Edmonton, Alberta
Not really a dark, thats an amber rum and not too great. Albeit Appletons makes one popular reserve aged rum. But not what most people think of as Appletons.

Standard Darks would be Kraken, Old Port, Old Monk, (both east indian rum and widely available here)None are bad choices. By all means though buy the east indian rums on sale instead of the overpriced Kraken.

Steps up would be Baron Samedi, Trader Vics, Myers Plantation, Coruba, Gosling Black seal, Mount Gay, Flor De Cana aged 12 or more (all reasonable choices and better than standard swill.

Better still would be Pyrat, Zacapa, Angostura

Wines and Beyond is a great place and they do some samples if you ask and at different times theres testings for those that really want to try different varieties.

Gosling Black seal is often on sale and probably the best starting point to try a rum with a decent reputation that offers more than a standard rum experience and more complex flavors. Its reasonably priced. Drink that and you know why you never buy stuff like Captain Morgan or Lambs. By all means never buy Malibu, that's what giggling girls or Matthew Tkachuk drink.

For a decent mixer, always on sale, try Amrut Old Port. A nice dark with complex flavors. Better imo than the better selling Old Monk which is more like black molasses. 25 bucks and you get an attractively unique labeled Black rum that somehow speaks rums days of lore, and that can impress anybody from a novice to somebody that appreciates good rum. Its my darkhorse, pun intended.

Amrut Old Port Deluxe Rum - Review
El Dorado 12yr!

Reactions: Drivesaitl

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

Isn't this a relatively new thing that shows like The Walking Dead started doing so they could drum up interest by claiming a season premiere twice in the same season?

I don't ever remember TV shows taking a multi month break in the middle of their season until relatively recently. I figure its all a really shitty marketing ploy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad