WtF 2 games in 3 weeks???

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Isn't this a relatively new thing that shows like The Walking Dead started doing so they could drum up interest by claiming a season premiere twice in the same season?

I don't ever remember TV shows taking a multi month break in the middle of their season until relatively recently. I figure its all a really ****ty marketing ploy.

Most wouldn't shut down for months like the newer non-major network shows, but I think it was pretty common for them to take 3-4 weeks around the holidays and a week or two in award season.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Actually I e never tried. I usually get captains dark. I’ll have to give that a try? Just a brand name or does it have quite a different taste?

It's a brand name. Drivesaitl actually provided a good description of how it classifies as Amber rather than Dark. I didn't know there was a difference.

Reactions: tardigrade81

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Not really a dark, thats an amber rum and not too great. Albeit Appletons makes one popular reserve aged rum. But not what most people think of as Appletons.

Standard Darks would be Kraken, Old Port, Old Monk, (both east indian rum and widely available here)None are bad choices. By all means though buy the east indian rums on sale instead of the overpriced Kraken.

Steps up would be Baron Samedi, Trader Vics, Myers Plantation, Coruba, Gosling Black seal, Mount Gay, Flor De Cana aged 12 or more (all reasonable choices and better than standard swill.

Better still would be Pyrat, Zacapa, Angostura

Wines and Beyond is a great place and they do some samples if you ask and at different times theres testings for those that really want to try different varieties.

Gosling Black seal is often on sale and probably the best starting point to try a rum with a decent reputation that offers more than a standard rum experience and more complex flavors. Its reasonably priced. Drink that and you know why you never buy stuff like Captain Morgan or Lambs. By all means never buy Malibu, that's what giggling girls or Matthew Tkachuk drink.

For a decent mixer, always on sale, try Amrut Old Port. A nice dark with complex flavors. Better imo than the better selling Old Monk which is more like black molasses. 25 bucks and you get an attractively unique labeled Black rum that somehow speaks rums days of lore, and that can impress anybody from a novice to somebody that appreciates good rum. Its my darkhorse, pun intended.

Amrut Old Port Deluxe Rum - Review

GlossyPlushBangeltiger-size_restricted.gif

Totally forgot about Old Port. I remember it being great for the price especially. Do you find the recent batches are as consistent? I'll have to pick some up, brought back an Anejo of Santiago De Cuba, which is an amazing rum, very smooth and flavourful, pairs perfectly with a cigar. It's an amber rum. Unfortunately it's not available outside of Cuba.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
GlossyPlushBangeltiger-size_restricted.gif

Totally forgot about Old Port. I remember it being great for the price especially. Do you find the recent batches are as consistent? I'll have to pick some up, brought back an Anejo of Santiago De Cuba, which is an amazing rum, very smooth and flavourful, pairs perfectly with a cigar. It's an amber rum. Unfortunately it's not available outside of Cuba.
\

Wow, few people other than tasters or East Indian people tend to know about Old Port. Yes, the older bottles were better, and rated as high as 92/100. They were just better, smoother, more complex. That was circa 2005-2012 they were producing those and I was still finding the odd older stock bottle on shelves up till 2014. They're all gone now and its all the new version. Still a very appealing Rum but not as good as the old one. lol, I had a stock at one point of several of the old bottles as it was common wisdom they were better. heh, I exhausted the supply. Still the newer Old port still rates around 88 on most sites. But yeah, inconsistent now.

Theres a few places in Edmonton that have a unique selection of Rum and Liquors. One good place is located adjacent to the Chateau Louis on the Northside. Not a large place but an impressive variety.

Last edited:

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
\

Wow, few people other than tasters or East Indian people tend to know about Old Port. Yes, the older bottles were better, and rated as high as 92/100. They were just better, smoother, more complex. That was circa 2005-2012 they were producing those and I was still finding the odd older stock bottle on shelves up till 2014. They're all gone now and its all the new version. Still a very appealing Rum but not as good as the old one. lol, I had a stock at one point of several of the old bottles as it was common wisdom they were better. heh, I exhausted the supply. Still the newer Old port still rates around 88 on most sites. But yeah, inconsistent now.

Theres a few places in Edmonton that have a unique selection of Rum and Liquors. One good place is located adjacent to the Chateau Louis on the Northside. Not a large place but an impressive variety.

I worked at a liquor store while I was in university when it was starting to go around here. The manager and the senior staff were excellent and jumped on this stuff (among other gems). They also brought in the Amrut whiskies (which I enjoyed but the rum is really exceptional value).

I haven't been to the place next to Chateau Louis in a while but remember it being very good. Keg & Cork was another good one on the south side (haven't been in a few years). Nowadays I usually just go to the Wine & Beyond in Windermere, tends to be pretty decent especially if you go during the day and get the full time staff (their wine selection is pretty good, they also tend to get ahold of some of the more rare ones, and at least one of the guys there is really knowledgeable and we have similar taste which helps).

I'll have to grab a bottle of Amrut at least so I don't go through the Santiago too quickly :D Thanks again :thumbu:

Reactions: Drivesaitl

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Did anyone hear what Lowetide said at end of his show? Something about how there are a few teams from the Pacific on bye weeks all at the same time.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Did anyone hear what Lowetide said at end of his show? Something about how there are a few teams from the Pacific on bye weeks all at the same time.

Not sure specifically but looking at the schedule all but the Ducks play on Saturday (Ducks on Friday), and only Vegas plays against after the 18th and none of the others play again until at least the 27th and some as late as the 29th. Vegas has one game in that stretch on the 21st but are off until the 31st.

Where Edmonton's feels bigger is because they have a full 3 days off before that final game and also had two full days off before the 2nd last game giving them only 2 games in a 17 day stretch. Most of the others have at least 3 in that stretch. Even their last game is a matinee, so guys leaving town could even do so that evening.

Last edited:

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
@Drivesaitl

i don't care for rum myself but it's my old man's drink of choice, with Appletons being a 'really good one'

got a recommendation from Sobeys that's under $100?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
@Drivesaitl

i don't care for rum myself but it's my old man's drink of choice, with Appletons being a 'really good one'

got a recommendation from Sobeys that's under $100?
Depends what you or him are after. Most people on this continent do not get into rum as a sipping rum so that a really expensive rum here is probably over kill.

Try some of my suggestions and you might become a rum drinker. Appletons, its base products are revolting to me. Too sweet, syrupy, drinking that stuff is hangover inducing.

In NA most of the Rum drinking is highballs, cocktails, type thing, so basic mixers. So save your money and look at the following;

The previously mentioned Amrut Old Port is a good reliable standby- 25bucks. Its amber-dark and suits all tastes. Good for mixing, cocktails.
Next, if you want a collection the Gosling Black Seal Rum (Caribbean Dark) is a sure fire entry to dark rum. Its about 27bucks. Good for everything.
Baron Samedi is an out of this world nicely flavored Amber rum, also Caribbean, great for mixers. Throw in around 33bucks. A unique tasting rum.
If you want to go at things like tiki drinks and zombies get some Myers Planters Punch (Caribbean mixed rum) 30bucks. Use the planters punch and some of the above for some tiki drinks. Great for theme parties or just parties and patio parties. Did I say parties?

With these 3 or 4 you have a well stocked bar that can mix a fantastic rum drink of any kind. All in at about 115bucks. This should last you awhile.

Have some lemons, limes in stock, maybe some bitters if you want. coke, variety of fruit juices, loads of ice.

enjoy

ekcut

The Refs shot JFK.
Jul 25, 2007
Edmonton
I am used to the Oilers not playing hockey for long stretches while most other teams are....its called the playoffs. *rimshot

Reactions: EagerPug

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
I wouldn't worry about them having more time off, I'm sure there are some lingering injuries, look how they started the season? The only downside might be that Smith is starting to get hot and McDrai are getting back into their grooves.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I worked at a liquor store while I was in university when it was starting to go around here. The manager and the senior staff were excellent and jumped on this stuff (among other gems). They also brought in the Amrut whiskies (which I enjoyed but the rum is really exceptional value).

I haven't been to the place next to Chateau Louis in a while but remember it being very good. Keg & Cork was another good one on the south side (haven't been in a few years). Nowadays I usually just go to the Wine & Beyond in Windermere, tends to be pretty decent especially if you go during the day and get the full time staff (their wine selection is pretty good, they also tend to get ahold of some of the more rare ones, and at least one of the guys there is really knowledgeable and we have similar taste which helps).

I'll have to grab a bottle of Amrut at least so I don't go through the Santiago too quickly :D Thanks again :thumbu:

I have to give the thumbs up to Keg and Cork as well. Was just there, tbh.

Reactions: Oilhawks

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Time flies anyways. You blink it will have already been a few weeks. lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad