PTO: [WSH] Washington signs Craig Anderson to PTO (signed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Why is this even a PTO? Barring injury he's the backup, you aren't going to go with Copley who has 29 games of NHL experience as your backup when your starter only has 26, or even worse a backup with no experience, not unless you HAVE to.

This is Craig Anderson's job to lose

Might as well give him a look first if they can, and if Anderson is picky about where he signs, it could be that he couldn't get a proper contract from any of those teams. I really think he could have gotten a normal one-way deal somewhere. I'd feel much better with Anderson as my backup instead of Husso.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
That's OK, we have an army of defensemen that like to do exactly that. Sometimes they also cough it up right in the slot.

Well, if that’s what you’re looking for, Anderson is your guy. Gave so many goals to the other team with his boneheaded plays. I think he believes he’s good at handling the puck. He’s awful at it.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Zero risk move for Washington. If Vanecek outplays Anderson, they simply don't offer him a real contract. If Vanecek craps the bed in camp or Anderson shows he's got some serious game left, they sign him to a cheap deal and one of Copley or Vanecek start in Hershey while Fucale goes back to the ECHL.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
The goalie market was the market least impacted by the cap crunch. The market dried up quick and guys got paid. Tough for caps to have to go bargain bin shopping now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Morrison

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Zero risk move for Washington. If Vanecek outplays Anderson, they simply don't offer him a real contract. If Vanecek craps the bed in camp or Anderson shows he's got some serious game left, they sign him to a cheap deal and one of Copley or Vanecek start in Hershey while Fucale goes back to the ECHL.

Does Vanecek have to crap the bed if Anderson shows he has serious game left? He has 46 playoff starts including a fairly recently deep run. At the worst he should be kept as a 3rd unless he shows he cant play. Or am I wrong?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Does Vanecek have to crap the bed if Anderson shows he has serious game left? He has 46 playoff starts including a fairly recently deep run. At the worst he should be kept as a 3rd unless he shows he cant play. Or am I wrong?
You have much more confidence that Anderson accepts a job as a #3 than I do.

Reactions: Morrison

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I was sort of hoping Anderson would rotate in as our 3G in Ottawa once the AHL season begins (if it does) but when the Lundqvist news broke, I had a feeling he’d end up with the Caps. He’s not at all what he used to be but I think he would be really re-energized behind a good team. He plays best when he is relied on heavily, but not when he’s consistently left out to dry by teammates who can’t score to back it up. I think the Caps style will suit him, so long as he still has gas left in the tank. Love Craiggers and I will find it hard not to cheer for Washington if they sign him.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Well, if that’s what you’re looking for, Anderson is your guy. Gave so many goals to the other team with his boneheaded plays. I think he believes he’s good at handling the puck. He’s awful at it.
So he’s Patrick Roy?

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I think Samsonov——Anderson/Vanecek is a good rotation. Insurance in case; Samsonov takes time to get back to speed, Anderson’s age shows mainly in fatigue and not just a precipitous decline, Vanecek is no more than an AHLer. Nothing not to like all around really. I hope Anderson and Vanecek see it the same.

It’s really hard to handicap how many games I think Samsonov should play. In a standard ~80G season I wouldn’t really want him playing more than ~45-55G leaving ~30 starts for someone else Say Vanecek gets 20, Anderson 10 and Anderson is the back-up for ~40 planned appearances. I can see why Anderson might not find that ideal but if his options are limited a chance at 15-25Games (as a primary backup) isn’t too bad a gig.

Last edited:

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I didn't want him re-signed in Ottawa because I think we really needed to trade the old guys left from the previous leadership core to finally have a real fresh start but that being said he's a class act and the best goaltender in Sens history.

Playoff performer ... His playoff stats are unreal and he was one of the most underrated starters of the last decade. He didn't play as much as other guys in his 20's and he still wants to play so I could really see him earn a contract in Washington and be a very good backup.

Less pressure to perform being a backup and playing less games I think he can have a Dwayne Roloson type of impact if it works out. I believe he has a bit of juice left in the tank. Should be a great mentor for Samsonov.
Didnt hasek play for the sens for half a season while he was still good

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think Samsonov——Anderson/Vanecek is a good rotation. Insurance in case; Samsonov takes time to get back to speed, Anderson’s age shows mainly in fatigue and not just a precipitous decline, Vanecek is no more than an AHLer. Nothing not to like all around really. I hope Anderson and Vanecek see it the same.

It’s really hard to handicap how many games I think Samsonov should play. In a standard ~80G season I wouldn’t really want him playing more than ~45-55G leaving ~30 starts for someone else Say Vanecek gets 20, Anderson 10 and Anderson is the back-up for ~40 planned appearances. I can see why Anderson might not find that ideal but if his options are limited a chance at 15-25Games (as a primary backup) isn’t too bad a gig.

I think its in the neighborhood of 50 50 that the Caps miss the playoffs on goaltending alone. Samsonov wasnt ready for not for back up goalies games last season. He might be now but its a crap shoot. I expect he will be improved and take a nice step forward. I expect a good rookie starter but more than enough growing pains to kill any legit chance the Caps have at a cup. Better chance next season

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
The goalie market was the market least impacted by the cap crunch. The market dried up quick and guys got paid. Tough for caps to have to go bargain bin shopping now.
Probably best impacted most teams are looking at running three goalies most years teams avoid the three headed monster but this year it's the opposite

Reactions: MessierII

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Yeah I was going to say when Orlov commits a turnover it’s usually in the ACTUAL CREASE on a zone-exit. It’s gone from Pizza straight to Personal Pan.

Love the Pizza Hut reference :laugh:

I agree though, we have some professional pizza delivery guys on the team. My favourite pizza is this one.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I think its in the neighborhood of 50 50 that the Caps miss the playoffs on goaltending alone. Samsonov wasnt ready for not for back up goalies games last season. He might be now but its a crap shoot. I expect he will be improved and take a nice step forward. I expect a good rookie starter but more than enough growing pains to kill any legit chance the Caps have at a cup. Better chance next season
Yeah it could be good or horrible that the Division is so daunting this season. I think this season will be a true trial-by-fire for the Caps youth and I think it’s time to see what we have and maybe cut some bait. I want to see Fehervary and Alexeyev get pretty decent minutes in a season where the Caps aren’t contenders on-paper. I’ll hold my predictions on how the season goes until we see how the teams adapt to the Protocols and Taxi Squad sitch.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Love the Pizza Hut reference :laugh:

I agree though, we have some professional pizza delivery guys on the team. My favourite pizza is this one.

I mean I’ve done the same thing in League games and all you can really say is; “Well there’s that.”

As for Carlson, He’s Good at Offense. And good enough that I can forgive a few defensive gaffs. He also has a higher level of GAF than a few players who have suited up for the Caps in the past (one notable one recently retired in Det) so Carly is good by me. Bottom-line without him we don’t have a Cup. So it is what it is.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
In 2019-2020 Holtby was 3.11 .897. He was bad. The Caps won the Metro.

There's a very real chance goaltending is significantly better this year.

There's an equal chance that it will be about the same, and the Caps will still be fine.

Reactions: Hivemind

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
In 2019-2020 Holtby was 3.11 .897. He was bad. The Caps won the Metro.

There's a very real chance goaltending is significantly better this year.

There's an equal chance that it will be about the same, and the Caps will still be fine.

Noted. I am not rooting for disaster. I think its more likely than you do. We will see. Meanwhile are you content with what happened last season? Division banner and 1st round out? If we are going to blame the 1st round out on Reirden, then maybe the crappy goals against was Reirden. On the other hand Laviolette sounds like he is going to press and push offense with the d.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad