PTO: [WSH] Washington signs Craig Anderson to PTO (signed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010
I think this is a smart move. His numbers don't look terrible given what he had in front of him most of the time.

Does any Sens fans have any insight on how he actually looked last year? I didn't catch too many of Ottawa's games last year.

Reactions: Morrison and BHD

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Why is this even a PTO? Barring injury he's the backup, you aren't going to go with Copley who has 29 games of NHL experience as your backup when your starter only has 26, or even worse a backup with no experience, not unless you HAVE to.

This is Craig Anderson's job to lose

There’s also Vanecek that could be a solid, although unproven, option.

Reactions: Morrison

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Why is this even a PTO? Barring injury he's the backup, you aren't going to go with Copley who has 29 games of NHL experience as your backup when your starter only has 26, or even worse a backup with no experience, not unless you HAVE to.

This is Craig Anderson's job to lose

Because he’s old as dirt and they want to see if the wheels have completely fallen off. At that age it can happen very quickly.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Makes sense. I don’t see him actually winning the job over Vanecek though.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Great signing.. kinda wish it was a 1 year deal though and not a PTO

I have a feeling he will earn a contract though and then play majority of games

Reactions: Son of Petter

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
No one would look good behind the Senators D.

Hopefully he earns a contract. Love me some Andy.

Reactions: Morrison

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
The guy is 39 years old. He's been in the league for forever. What do the Caps REALLY need to see from him at this point that they feel a PTO is necessary?
You kinda answered your own question. The guy is an old fart and has a ton of mileage on his body. They make sure he won't fold like a cheap tent when they need him to get going.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I didn't want him re-signed in Ottawa because I think we really needed to trade the old guys left from the previous leadership core to finally have a real fresh start but that being said he's a class act and the best goaltender in Sens history.

Playoff performer ... His playoff stats are unreal and he was one of the most underrated starters of the last decade. He didn't play as much as other guys in his 20's and he still wants to play so I could really see him earn a contract in Washington and be a very good backup.

Less pressure to perform being a backup and playing less games I think he can have a Dwayne Roloson type of impact if it works out. I believe he has a bit of juice left in the tank. Should be a great mentor for Samsonov.

Reactions: 5 Hole

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Low risk, relatively high reward, and considering teams now need 3 goaltenders with them it's a very solid signing. They'd rather have Lundqvist of course, but a good signing still.

Reactions: BHD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia