Traded [WSH/OTT] Connor Brown for 2024 2nd round pick

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
They can be for sure, but I'm willing to take my chances. I don't quite share your opinion on the Brown situation even though I agree he's a useful player. I was fine with moving on when we did.

My hope is that it gives an opportunity to someone like Crookshank and he runs away with it. For Greig, considering all the injuries he had in recent years, I'd rather cook him a bit more in the AHL.

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
DeBrincat - Stutzle - Giroux
Crookshank - Pinto - Joseph
Brassard - Kastelic - Motte
Kelly/Watson

Gambrell to Belleville

Reactions: topshelf15

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
My hope is that it gives an opportunity to someone like Crookshank and he runs away with it. For Greig, considering all the injuries he had in recent years, I'd rather cook him a bit more in the AHL.

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
DeBrincat - Stutzle - Giroux
Crookshank - Pinto - Joseph
Brassard - Kastelic - Motte
Kelly/Watson

Gambrell to Belleville
Would certainly be ideal to fill that internally.

if we end up in the race, I see a depth move or two as the deadline priorities, but it might be 4th line material more than something to push Motte down.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
You make it sound like Forsberg has a 5 year track record of success as a starter. Simply not true and that's the main reason management prioritized getting another experienced "starter" in net. If Forsberg flopped the team would a have a proven vet to turn to.
My issue with management getting a more experienced starter is goalies can be pretty flip flop, Talbot/Forbserg can both come in and perform, but both of them can come in and drop the ball. The best solution to that is to have a balanced defense that can pull their weight if a goaltender is struggling. Getting depth goaltenders for injuries isn't as difficult as getting top 4 defenders. In that situation, I'd prefer if management use assets like Brown and capspace to address defense instead of goaltending. When Talbot comes back, if he ends up not performing and Forsberg doesn't perform either, our defense isn't exactly built to insulate goalies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Would certainly be ideal to fill that internally.

if we end up in the race, I see a depth move or two as the deadline priorities, but it might be 4th line material more than something to push Motte down.

One thing for sure is we have to stay healthy, but IMO the priority should still be to upgrade the RD by then

I think our forward depth will be fine eventually, assuming we stay healthy enough

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
One thing for sure is we have to stay healthy, but IMO the priority should still be to upgrade the RD by then

I think our forward depth will be fine eventually, assuming we stay healthy enough
Yes, health is always the biggest factor. Can't win without your horses.

I'm actually content with RD for now, but if we want to make noise in the playoffs if it's looking like we'll make it, it's the obvious area to upgrade. Moves Hamonic down to 3rd pairing with Holden as the 7th.

Reactions: Xspyrit

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Getting depth goaltenders for injuries isn't as difficult as getting top 4 defenders. In that situation, I'd prefer if management use assets like Brown and capspace to address defense instead of goaltending. When Talbot comes back, if he ends up not performing and Forsberg doesn't perform either, our defense isn't exactly built to insulate goalies.

I don't necessarily think it's for lack of trying.

Dorion could have traded Pinto for Chychrun and everyone here would be going nuts.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
4.0 is now 4.2? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on this lol

Again. Did we need to have 2 forwards sitting every game? There's a LOT of call up options in Belleville.

Motte 1.35 + Gambrell 0.95 = 2.3

Let's say we still sign Brassard even if Brown was never traded. Ok so we saved 1.7, great. Then 3.0 was used to upgrade Gustavsson to Talbot? Instead of a RHD?

I know you have repeated this thing about the internal budget ad nauseam but I don't know, for me having an internal budget just a few millions under a $82,500,000 cap sounds kinda weird and stupid. Might as well be ready to do like every other NHL team.

IMO, they should have been patient with this. Wait at least until training camp. Wait after a few injuries among other teams (or yours). He was only going to start getting paid in October. Unless he was threatening to bomb the CTC, I am not sure what the rush was. And it would have bought more time to see what happens with Formenton and Batherson. But I guess a 2nd round pick in 2024 was an opportunity we couldn't pass up :sarcasm:

Also, look at my post above.

Future HOFer goalie has even worse stats, it's obviously a team defense problem. Goalies are only a reflection of the team and systems in front of them. I have seen enough about Gustavsson's ability that I think he could be a good goalie in this league.

I don't mind going with the safer option in Talbot (if we were a 100% cap team?) but that 3.0 additional expense could have probably be spent somewhere else (3rd line LW or RHD)

And regarding health, that's another factor why still having Brown would have been great. Any injury to the top-8 forwards and our impressive top-9 depth diminishes, which is the ONLY advantage we have on some of our rivals.
We aren’t a few million under 81.5M, we are at 71.5M.

I think Motte was signed as a Formenton replacement.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
We aren’t a few million under 81.5M, we are at 71.5M.

I think Motte was signed as a Formenton replacement.

What about the other expenses, like dead cap salary expenditure? I mean, all these buy outs and retained money still cost real money

POTENTIAL PERFORMANCE BONUSES $4,025,000
ESTIMATED SALARY EXPENDITURE $69,635,000
DEAD CAP SALARY EXPENDITURE $5,562,500
NON-ROSTER SIGNING BONUSES $1,280,000

And of course Motte was signed as a Formenton replacement, but again, the point is that Brown could have been that replacement himself (even if you don't trust Brown to be able to play LW, Joseph can)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I liked C. Brown & while Motte seems pretty good defensively too C. Brown had a lot more offence in him. Unfortunately it seemed he was going to test free agency & made it clear he wasn't sticking around & most teams don't want someone who is disgruntled or wants out to hang around the team. They want guys who want to be there & contribute to the team's success.

C. Brown wanted to be paid like a top six player & probably thought he should be on the top six while the org already had six more offensive players penciled into the top six & he wasn't one of them. He's a good player, but I don't think the team misses him offensively & they have a pretty good defensive 3rd line now with Motte - Pinto - Joseph & they can all play the PK with speed & tenacity.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
What about the other expenses, like dead cap salary expenditure? I mean, all these buy outs and retained money still cost real money

And of course Motte was signed as a Formenton replacement, but again, the point is that Brown could have been that replacement himself (even if you don't trust Brown to be able to play LW, Joseph can)
Potential performance bonuses have never been talked about when we talk numbers because over half are almost impossible to get. Some will be earner but I would guess it’s close to 1-1.5M max.

Estimated Salary expenditures on Capfriendly include all the AHL players who have NHL contracts such as Daoust and his 65K he is making in the minors.

The number I gave includes Dead Money from retention and Buyouts.

Non Roster Signing bonuses is a total of Signing bonuses given on ELCs for players still in the NHL.

I’m sure their is an overall Hockey Ops budget for all these things in addition to coaches, scouts, AGMs, etc., but different allocations. The team would have an AHL budget which would include AHL only contracts, and two ways of players in the A. There would be a front office allocation. When we talk internal budget it’s generally NHL roster expenditures, likely performance bonuses and any strange buried money like Murray or Del Zotto last year outside of the minor league allocation.

We’re at 78.4 million on the cap.
Cash not cap.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Estimated Salary expenditures on Capfriendly include all the AHL players who have NHL contracts such as Daoust and his 65K he is making in the minors.

The number I gave includes Dead Money from retention and Buyouts.

Non Roster Signing bonuses is a total of Signing bonuses given on ELCs for players still in the NHL.

I’m sure their is an overall Hockey Ops budget for all these things in addition to coaches, scouts, AGMs, etc., but different allocations. The team would have an AHL budget which would include AHL only contracts, and two ways of players in the A. There would be a front office allocation. When we talk internal budget it’s generally NHL roster expenditures, likely performance bonuses and any strange buried money like Murray or Del Zotto last year outside of the minor league allocation.

Cash not cap.

PROJECTED CAP HIT
Tooltip
: $78,381,548​

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Again cash not cap
Lmao , it says right on the page projected CAP HIT, not projected salary hit.

Spin it any way you want you’re wrong. Using your logic everyone will have cap space.
ESTIMATED SALARY EXPENDITURE
q.svg
$69,635,000
CURRENT CAP SPACE
q.svg
$4,353,792

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Lmao , it says right on the page projected CAP HIT, not projected salary hit.

Spin it any way you want you’re wrong. Using your logic everyone will have cap space.
ESTIMATED SALARY EXPENDITURE
q.svg
$69,635,000
CURRENT CAP SPACE
q.svg
$4,353,792
I have no idea what you are talking about. I was showing how we are spending far below our cap hit. What the hell are you talking about.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I have no idea what you are talking about. I was showing how we are spending far below our cap hit. What the hell are you talking about.
Yes 4 .1 million below

Salary means actual real dollars spent on contract that year
Cap hit means total salary / # of years of contract, and you can’t exceed the CAP Hit.

You should try reading the key words like
CAP HIT and
SALARY HIT

Your embarrassing yourself now, take the L and move on.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Yes 4 .1 million below

Salary means actual real dollars spent on contract that year
Cap hit means total salary / # of years of contract, and you can’t exceed the CAP Hit.

You should try reading the key words like
CAP HIT and
SALARY HIT

Your embarrassing yourself now, take the L and move on.
We are spending 71.5M this season on our NHL roster including retention and buyouts. It’s not hard to look up

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
We are spending 71.5M this season on our NHL roster including retention and buyouts. It’s not hard to look up
Yep I showed you the link,
, or you don’t understand the CBA and the difference between cap and salary.
We have enough room for 4 million more in cap.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Apparently logic doesn’t work with GCK, I’ve learnt.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Yes we have 10 million in salary under cap, plus 5 million in dead salary, but who cares, there is no salary “cap”, just an AAV cap, other than internal budget, which we’ve already blown, thanks sisters.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Yep I showed you the link, you just can’t read it, strike 4, you’re out. Lol.
Had too many drinks on Friday already I see, or you don’t understand the CBA and the difference between cap and salary.
Yep I showed you the link, you just can’t read it, strike 4, you’re out. Lol.
Had too many drinks on Friday already I see, or you don’t understand the CBA and the difference between cap and salary.
We have enough room for 4 million more in cap.
Go to Capfriendly, switch display to Torltal Salary from Caphit.

Go to the bottom of the forwards. 14 FS Total salary of 41.48M. Cap git is 44.965M

7 D Total Salary 18.125M. Caphit 21.125M.

2 Goalies Total Salary 3.3M. Caphit 3.5M.

IR Talbot Total Salary 3M. Caphit 3.66M.

Retention Murray Total Salary retained 1.75M Caphit 1.562M

Buyouts Total Salary. 3.82M. Cap hit 3.562

Total Salary 71.5M. Caphit 78.3M

Pretty simple.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Go to Capfriendly, switch display to Torltal Salary from Caphit.

Go to the bottom of the forwards. 14 FS Total salary of 41.48M. Cap git is 44.965M

7 D Total Salary 18.125M. Caphit 21.125M.

2 Goalies Total Salary 3.3M. Caphit 3.5M.

IR Talbot Total Salary 3M. Caphit 3.66M.

Retention Murray Total Salary retained 1.75M Caphit 1.562M

Buyouts Total Salary. 3.82M. Cap hit 3.562

Total Salary 71.5M. Caphit 78.3M

Pretty simple.
Ya I know how it works, you weren’t clear initially and I was arguing cap and you were arguing salary. My bad for being salty, apologizing for that. I thought you were saying cap was salary.

I guess why are you concerned what salary expenditure is, we’ve already spent salary and dead salary over initial budget.
We still can only take on 4 million more in cap, to be at max.
And sorry about earlier.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Ya I know how it works, you weren’t clear initially and I was arguing cap and you were arguing salary. My bad for being salty, apologizing for that. I thought you were saying cap was salary.

I guess why are you concerned what salary expenditure is, we’ve already spent salary and dead salary over initial budget.
We still can only take on 4 million more in cap, to be at max.
And sorry about earlier.
No problem. This all goes back to the ther poster not willing to believe there is a budget even though Leblanc and Dorion inferring there is. Either way starting next season cap will be the bigger issue.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
No problem. This all goes back to the ther poster not willing to believe there is a budget even though Leblanc and Dorion inferring there is. Either way starting next season cap will be the bigger issue.
Agree

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I don't know about that. We've got guys like JBD and Thomson as depth.

Gus is rocking a 5.06 and an .860 right now with the Wild - only 2 games of play but still concerning.

A team that competes for the playoffs needs to be resilient because you can't just hope that everyone stays healthy for the season.
Not sure I'd agree with running Gus as our # 2, I like the current tandem. Very important position. This team absolutely needs solid goaltending. Back when Gretz Mess and Coffey were dominating with the Oilers they had Fuhr holding the fort; allowing them to win 6-5. I like defensive hockey battles that eek out a 2-1 win but this team is just not built for that.

Loved Joey OK. I was hoping the Sens would scoop him up to ride out Talbot's injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad