Confirmed Trade: [WSH/NJ] Marcus Johansson to NJ for 2018 2nd, 3rd

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Not just the trade value. As a Caps fan, so many things off with this trade that you really have hard time to swallow this. MacLellan better have something on his sleeve or it is coming out as worst-case-scenario summer.

Congrats for Jersey, great steal.

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
Hall - Zajac - Palmieri
Rico - Nico - Mojo
Zacha - McLeod - Speers
Wood - Boyle - Noesen

Not too bad.
If I was NJ I wouldn't put Hischier in the 2C position right off the bat. I'd test him by putting him on the third line with someone that could mentor him, like Henrique. Which means you should do:

Hall - Zajac - Palmieri
??? (trade for/sign a winger like Vanek as a stop gap) - Zacha - Mojo
Henrique-Hischier-whoever

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
His no trade kicks in next year. This was the time for Washington to trade him.

Heh, not anymore. That NTC no longer exists unless the Devils honored it for some odd reason.

If I was NJ I wouldn't put Hischier in the 2C position right off the bat. I'd test him by putting him on the third line with someone that could mentor him, like Henrique. Which means you should do:

Hall - Zajac - Palmieri
??? (trade for/sign a winger like Vanek as a stop gap) - Zacha - Mojo
Henrique-Hischier-whoever

Not sure Henrique is the right guy for him and I don't want to put Zacha at 2C either.. he's pretty much as unproven as Nico and he looked much better at LW last year. We also are loaded with LW, we don't really have room for more.

Only way we can really put him at 3C is if we do Henrique at 2C and well, he's better at LW:

Hall - Zajac - Palmieri
Zacha - Henrique - McLeod/Speers
Quenneville - Nico - Mojo
Wood - Boyle - Noesen

Have to put Mojo on the 3rd line to avoid having an all kids line.. which I would prefer not to have.

Don't really want Henrique at center

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Well the battle at development camp will be a lot more fun to watch.

Shero is pretty adamant that spots aren't won or lost at development camp.. and it's just that, a camp to help develop the players into professionals.

Training camp certainly will be interesting as we have a few kids knocking on the door and only room for a few of them. The lines also have a lot of interesting combinations.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The capitals will be lucky to be a playoff team now they have lost Alzner, Shattenkirk, Schimdt, Williams and Johansson ant the combined return is a 2nd and 3rd.

Guess they aren't trying to win anymore

mort4345

Jun 22, 2017
Wow great deal for the Devils. How did other teams not match that...that's a far better return on investment than many signings in UFA. Absolute steal IMO, one of the most lopsided deals I've seen in some time..

If Leafs didn't get Marleau, I would have easily matched that package. I feel Babcock could potentially convert Johansson into a C.

It reminds me of how I felt when Dougie Hamilton got traded. Really, could nobody top that? Did the GM make it known league-wide that a bidding process was under way? Was it knee-jerk panic?

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Gotta feel for MoJo here...going to Jersey of all places...

it's pretty rough here. I got to take a cold shower today for the first time all year. hopefully tomorrow we can catch that squirrel we've been tracking so I can finally eat.

(or you can live in some of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the US)

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Shero is pretty adamant that spots aren't won or lost at development camp.. and it's just that, a camp to help develop the players into professionals.

Training camp certainly will be interesting as we have a few kids knocking on the door and only room for a few of them. The lines also have a lot of interesting combinations.
The Devils need another RW. Right now I can't make a roster that doesn't include all of Hischier, McLeod, and Speers/Quenneville in top-9 roles, which barring miracle is one too many.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
it's pretty rough here. I got to take a cold shower today for the first time all year. hopefully tomorrow we can catch that squirrel we've been tracking so I can finally eat.

You lucky *******!

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
The Devils need another RW. Right now I can't make a roster that doesn't include all of Hischier, McLeod, and Speers/Quenneville in top-9 roles, which barring miracle is one too many.

3 isn't too bad, especially considering Nico's skill and Quenneville's pro level success already. McLeod is the one least likely to stick just based on inexperience and age. It's moreso 4 anyways because you have to add Zacha to that group, he's not that far off from them right now.

I would love to bring in another RW still, for sure.. but i wouldn't be too nervous going into the offseason with what we have either. I'd take a flier on a Yakupov because I'm not sure who else is even out there. Ideally, we add a RW that can play in the middle 6. I'd prefer to keep our remaining assets to trade for defense over fine-tuning our forwards right now.

Penguinsyay

Jul 20, 2007
I never thought I'd actually feel bad for the Caps, but wow. Got to at least feel bad for Ovi. The window has closed.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
3 isn't too bad, especially considering Nico's skill and Quenneville's pro level success already. McLeod is the one least likely to stick just based on inexperience and age. It's moreso 4 anyways because you have to add Zacha to that group, he's not that far off from them right now.

I would love to bring in another RW still, for sure.. but i wouldn't be too nervous going into the offseason with what we have either. I'd take a flier on a Yakupov because I'm not sure who else is even out there. Ideally, we add a RW that can play in the middle 6. I'd prefer to keep our remaining assets to trade for defense over fine-tuning our forwards right now.
Well I'm not even counting Wood/Blandisi.

Right now the lineup is probably something like:

Hall - Zajac - Palmieri
Johansson - Zacha - McLeod
Henrique - Hischier - Noesen
Wood - Boyle - Lappin

Other possibles: Quenneville (LW/C), Blandisi (LW/C), Speers (RW), Coleman (LW/C), Pietila (LW/C)

You see our positional problem here.

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England

I used to live in NJ and it was awesome!

The franchise though has got some difficulties...

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Well I'm not even counting Wood/Blandisi.

Right now the lineup is probably something like:

Hall - Zajac - Palmieri
Johansson - Zacha - McLeod
Henrique - Hischier - Noesen
Wood - Boyle - Lappin

Other possibles: Quenneville (LW/C), Blandisi (LW/C), Speers (RW), Coleman (LW/C), Pietila (LW/C)

You see our positional problem here.

MoJo has spent time at RW and I imagine he will be given a shot there based on our positional need. That helps by pushing the RWs down a slot bar Palmieri and then opens up a LW spot (probably shift Henrique up and insert someone else at 3LW.. I think my lineup moved Zacha over and Nico up).

Is Zacha really ready for time at center? I'd like to see him produce more at LW before trying him there and we may not even need him there long-term anyways.

Blandisi is almost certainly done unless he comes out flying at camp. We just have no room for him short-term or long-term.

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
I never thought I'd actually feel bad for the Caps, but wow. Got to at least feel bad for Ovi. The window has closed.

As a Pens fan you gotta be pleased - your panic trade was Reaves who isn't all bad. The Caps panic trade is blowing up their team, signing a handful guys to 8 year contracts and being flat ****ing broke for years to come. What an offseason.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
I used to live in NJ and it was awesome!

The franchise though has got some difficulties...

Aside form the team on the ice, which is steadily improving.. what exactly are those issues?

If that's all the poster was referring to, not sure i feel that bad for MoJo. Being part of a young team isn't a death sentence.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
MoJo has spent time at RW and I imagine he will be given a shot there based on our positional need. That helps by pushing the RWs down a slot bar Palmieri and then opens up a LW spot (probably shift Henrique up and insert someone else at 3LW).

Is Zacha really ready for time at center? I'd like to see him produce more at LW before trying him there and we may not even need him there long-term anyways.

Blandisi is almost certainly done unless he comes out flying at camp. We just have no room for him short-term or long-term.
If Johansson can play RW then that solves a lot of our problems, but Shero specifically called him a LW/C so I'm skeptical we'll see him there. And I don't know if Zacha is ready, but if he's not you can just swap him and Henrique.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
If Johansson can play RW then that solves a lot of our problems, but Shero specifically called him a LW/C so I'm skeptical we'll see him there. And I don't know if Zacha is ready, but if he's not you can just swap him and Henrique.

I imagine we try players out of their position before throwing McLeod at 2RW and Noesen at 3RW.

Shero was asked if he was more of a LW/C and said he can do both. He did mention him though in a list of players who could play LW/C so who knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad