Proposal: WSH - MTL (Pacioretty)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
The analytics over the last 5-6 years would argue quite successfully against this. There's been plenty of data thrown around to show he's top notch at more than just scoring goals. To subtly suggest he isn't a top 3 player - first line player - is laughable.

He's a top flight goal scorer and a strong two-way player. Throw out last year. It's a blip.

He's better at receiving passes and shooting than he is setting up his own shot, which only goes to show how much he's done with so little support.

He should never have been named captain imo, but the circumstances in which he was and the constant turmoil around the club has more to do with it imo. Still, he's not a vocal guy and imo strong silent types don't make good captains.

Not what I was doing. I generally (and this is just me) refer to offensive players as "top 6" or "bottom 6" if we're talking offensive contribution.

Max would most likely do very well with a good center (something that MTL seemed opposed to finding) for another couple seasons. Could definitely see him cracking the 30 goal mark at least two more times.

I think he fetches a good prospect and a 2nd, honestly. Given the fact that he is a top 6 player, his most recent production is not going to do very much for his value.

The "throw out last year" sentiment is foolish.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
There’s a lot of unnecessary acrimony in this thread so I’ll be the voice of reason (never thought I’d see the day).

Pacioretty is only signed for one more season and will likely ask for more on his next contract if he returns close to his previous form (which is more likely than not, perhaps not 30G but I think he will rebound). This makes him a pure rental to the Capitals who will not have Cap Space for him moving forward.

The trade amounts to Wsh giving up; late-1st, late-1st value (Burakovsky), and 2nd Rd pick value (Siegenthaler/Hobbs).

So two 1sts and a 2nd for a pure rental guaranteed to be lost after one season. Wsh simply is not going to do this.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Sure because in the leafs vs habs game you most probably watched Pacioretty was awful scoring only 19g in 38 games :laugh:
Very impressive.
997.gif

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
There’s a lot of unnecessary acrimony in this thread so I’ll be the voice of reason (never thought I’d see the day).

Pacioretty is only signed for one more season and will likely ask for more on his next contract if he returns close to his previous form (which is more likely than not, perhaps not 30G but I think he will rebound). This makes him a pure rental to the Capitals who will not have Cap Space for him moving forward.

The trade amounts to Wsh giving up; late-1st, late-1st value (Burakovsky), and 2nd Rd pick value (Siegenthaler/Hobbs).

So two 1sts and a 2nd for a pure rental guaranteed to be lost after one season. Wsh simply is not going to do this.
And, given how last season went, he's a rental with some question marks.
Also, what people (not you obviously) seem to forget is, while last season is likely not the true indication of where he is, Washington would argue in trade negotiations that it's a truer picture than the ignore it the Habs would be selling.
It absolutely matters. Montreal is selling low.
Caps don't need him to win. So they have the leverage.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005

In what world is Burakovsky worth a late 1st?

Caps08

Apr 8, 2017
I'm a Caps fan fyi.

My reasoning to do this trade for the Caps was:
- Pacioretty is one of the best LW in the league. I think he would have a great season playing on the 2nd line with Backstrom and Oshie. I could see him scoring 40 goals or close to it, especially in a contract year. Adding him for futures would give the Caps an even better chance to repeat. It's not often a team wins the cup and can get better the next year.
- Burakovsky seems to be the odd man out on the team. With Vrana passing him on the depth chart, i can't see a future for him with the Caps. He'll be up for a new contract next summer and i don't think the Caps will be able to afford him.
- The first rounder would be a very late one.
- Hobbs or Siengenthaler are 2 good D prospects, but with Carlson and Orlov signed for a long time, 2 young D in Bowey and Djoos that are already on the team, and 2 first round picks in Johanson and Alexeyev in the system, i think that the Caps can afford to trade one of them.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016

In a world where Ryan Hartman is Burakovsky is worth more

He has the speed and skills to be a 70 point player if he manages to avoid injury and pull his head out of his ass, trading him without giving him every chance to do so first is dumb

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

Same world Siegenthaler/Hobbs are worth a 2nd lol
Burakovsky is eligible for arbitration after this year and as yet to prove he's a capable top 6 player. After this year, he only has 2 RFA years and those will be arbitraded (or at least could). He has skill but he didn't put it together yet. He will most probably never be as good as Patch. Right now he's a good 3rd liner with 2nd line upside.

strongcomp05

Jun 8, 2018
Maybe not during the season but in the playoffs you can bet his ass would have been shipped home Kovalev style
lmao.. i mean based on his past playoff performances thats a fair assessment. I do feel if he played with a competitive team he would excel in the playoffs.. he has it in him

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
In a world where Ryan Hartman is Burakovsky is worth more

He has the speed and skills to be a 70 point player if he manages to avoid injury and pull his head out of his ass, trading him without giving him every chance to do so first is dumb

I really doubt Ryan Hartman was a healthy scratch as often as Burakovsky was.

Anyway, Burakovsky is unlikely to become a top 6 forward. The skill is there, but he's not all there.

Bargainbin

1 FOR 1
Jun 17, 2017
I think siegenthaler is underrated and would like him in Montreal. That being said. Washington says no.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Players that this poster evidently believes MaxPac is better than:
Taylor Hall (the reigning Hart Trophy winner)
Brad Marchand
Artemi Panarin
Johnny Gaudreau
Jamie Benn
Filip Forsberg

And that's before we get into LWs who also play RW like Alex Ovechkin, or guys who seem to be staying at LW full time like Claude Giroux, or other guys who aren't obvious stars on their teams but still incredibly awesome like Landeskog or Rakell or Huberdeau.

Massive, massive fail here.
Wow being so arrogant over your own reading mistake is something else.

He did not say THE best. Congratulations, you named a couple of LWs better than Pacioretty, which I'm pretty sure the poster will agree with.

There's more than 124 LWs in the league, and Patches is definitely in the upper echelon in terms of quality, making him one of the best LW in the league, there's nothing wrong with that statement.

Reactions: jfhabs

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Wow being so arrogant over your own reading mistake is something else.

He did not say THE best.

I reread that post three times and somehow missed the "in" all three times. Mea culpa.

Still a bit of an overstatement given last season (yes, folks, last season matters) but not anywhere near as bad as I thought.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Did I say top 5!?!? top 10? top 15? top 30? Massive fail!?!
Misread it; my bad. For future reference, tho, most folks when trying to convey that thought would say he's "among" the best or "one of" the best, rather than "in" the best.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I really doubt Ryan Hartman was a healthy scratch as often as Burakovsky was.

Anyway, Burakovsky is unlikely to become a top 6 forward. The skill is there, but he's not all there.

I don't even remember him being a healthy scratch due to play, maybe there was 1 or 2 games. I remember him getting 2-3 injuries this year including a broken finger and not coming back into the lineup immediately when healthy because the team was already rolling and whatnot.

He has everything an offensive top 6 forward needs other than consistency and getting over post-injury aversion to contact. Good wheels, good dekes, sick wrister, heads up playmaking, just needs to put it together.

Will probably still be the odd man out when the next cap crunch/expansion draft comes because it will be between him and Vrana, and Vrana will be cheaper and has a similar skillset. If I'm the caps I put him with Backstrom and Oshie and Vrana on the 3rd line this year and try to milk a 60 point season out of him.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
I don't even remember him being a healthy scratch due to play, maybe there was 1 or 2 games. I remember him getting 2-3 injuries this year including a broken finger and not coming back into the lineup immediately when healthy because the team was already rolling and whatnot.

He has everything an offensive top 6 forward needs other than consistency and getting over post-injury aversion to contact. Good wheels, good dekes, sick wrister, heads up playmaking, just needs to put it together.

Will probably still be the odd man out when the next cap crunch/expansion draft comes because it will be between him and Vrana, and Vrana will be cheaper and has a similar skillset. If I'm the caps I put him with Backstrom and Oshie and Vrana on the 3rd line this year and try to milk a 60 point season out of him.

burakovsky healthy scratch - Google Search

I don't think that's happening any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad