Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Henrik Lundqvist signs with the Capitals (1 year, $1.5M)

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Not the worst idea to stay in the Hurricanes division. Check out the stats. His complete dominance of them is the difference between a very good career and a Hall of Fame career.

I’m only half kidding.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Not the worst idea to stay in the Hurricanes division. Check out the stats. His complete dominance of them is the difference between a very good career and a Hall of Fame career.

I’m only half kidding.
Honestly, there IS something to staying in a Division he’d be comfortable in. Also I’d be interested to see how he’d play AGAINST the Rangers, especially when it might actually matter as these teams could compete against each other with Real implications.

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
ehhhh I'd be iffy on this, I'd like to see him go after a cup on a true contender. If that meant joining a rival (except the Isles and Devils), so be it. But I'm not sure if the caps really fit the bill of contender so it would suck to see him suit up for Washington

But he'll likely be coming in cheap for whatever team he signs for so the Capitals keeping Holtby or getting Lundqvist isn't mutually exclusive

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
ehhhh I'd be iffy on this, I'd like to see him go after a cup on a true contender. If that meant joining a rival (except the Isles and Devils), so be it. But I'm not sure if the caps really fit the bill of true contender so it would suck to see him suit up for Washington

But he'll likely be coming in cheap for whatever team he signs for so the Capitals keeping Holtby or getting Lundqvist isn't mutually exclusive

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
ehhhh I'd be iffy on this, I'd like to see him go after a cup on a true contender. If that meant joining a rival (except the Isles and Devils), so be it. But I'm not sure if the caps really fit the bill of contender so it would suck to see him suit up for Washington

Are you familiar with where the Capitals finished the Regular Season in the Metro, literally This Season?

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
Are you familiar with where the Capitals finished the Regular Season in the Metro, literally This Season?

I'm familiar with the two playoff exits.

Don't get me wrong, I actually don't mind the caps as far as a Rangers fan can mind them (I was over the moon at their cup win because I love Ovi and Oshie), but they aren't getting younger and their playoff losses weren't encouraging.

Maybe Laviolette turns it around but the Metro is gonna be good this year and history has shown their RS success hasn't translated to the post season more often than not

In short, if I want to see the best chance of Hank getting his cup, the Capitals wouldn't be top of my list even if they are still in the mix

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I love the fit with the Caps for Henrik.. I dont think it's the best chance for him to win a Cup, but I like it.

I guess I just cant picture him anywhere else except on the East Coast near NYC. He suits the Rangers jersey obviously and I can just totally picture him wearing a Caps jersey

Gonna still be so weird seeing him somewhere other than NYR though.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I'm familiar with the two playoff exits.

Don't get me wrong, I actually don't mind the caps as far as a Rangers fan can mind them (I was over the moon at their cup win because I love Ovi and Oshie), but they aren't getting younger and their playoff losses weren't encouraging.

Maybe Laviolette turns it around but the Metro is gonna be good this year and history has shown their RS success hasn't translated to the post season more often than not

In short, if I want to see the best chance of Hank getting his cup, the Capitals wouldn't be top of my list even if they are still in the mix
I don’t think the Isles and Devils should be the respective hills you choose to die on in this discussion. If you’re seriously more concerned about either of those teams in the Metro OVER the Capitals I don’t know what to tell you.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I don’t think the Isles and Devils should be the respective hills you choose to die on in this discussion. If you’re seriously more concerned about either of those teams in the Metro OVER the Capitals I don’t know what to tell you.

Looking at the post you’re referring to, I don’t think he’s saying that at all.

What it looks like he said there is that if he joined a contender, he wouldn’t care who it was, sans the Islanders and Devils. It doesn’t appear that he’s saying he thinks those teams are in better position, although the Islanders might actually be, depending on what happens this offseason with them.

Dr Danglefest

Lindros|Giroux|Krug
May 29, 2010
THE SouthShore, MASS
Report: Capitals interested in signing Henrik Lundqvist
Per Elliotte Friedman as related by RMNB. I had wondered if we might not see something like this. The question becomes; after his last experience “mentoring” a stud Russian goalie prospect, how receptive would The King even be to this situation? And depending on the $$ why wouldn’t the Caps just keep Holtby?

Also I’m not, at all, sure how I feel about this; NHL Network photoshopped Henrik Lundqvist into a Capitals jersey

holtby will want term and far more money than Hank is going to be able to command at his age and recent performance, Hank is likely to only get a 1 year MAYBE 2 year deal at low money think in the range of 2-4 mil MAX

as far as his willingness to mentor a young Russian, he’s not being brought in to be the starter and that would be explicitly stated when courting him to sign. So if he has a big issue with doing so he isn’t going to sign, I think it’s that simple.

Reactions: McSuper

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Looking at the post you’re referring to, I don’t think he’s saying that at all.

What it looks like he said there is that if he joined a contender, he wouldn’t care who it was, sans the Islanders and Devils. It doesn’t appear that he’s saying he thinks those teams are in better position, although the Islanders might actually be, depending on what happens this offseason with them.
This implies that he thinks those two teams are contenders while Wsh isn’t which is patently ridiculous. Considering who we know the Devils to be. The Isles, it’s debatable. I wouldn’t rest my laurels on one Series in which Wsh 1C was out essentially the entire Series, but that’s just me.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
holtby will want term and far more money than Hank is going to be able to command at his age and recent performance, Hank is likely to only get a 1 year MAYBE 2 year deal at low money think in the range of 2-4 mil MAX

as far as his willingness to mentor a young Russian, he’s not being brought in to be the starter and that would be explicitly stated when courting him to sign. So if he has a big issue with doing so he isn’t going to sign, I think it’s that simple.
To your first point, we have no idea How Much or How Long either of these two players Want or Will eventually sign for. There’s a possibility you’re right, there’s also a possibility, at least worth mentioning, that you’re dead wrong.

As to your last line, if I’ve learned anything in this life, it’s never “that simple”.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
If the Caps are looking for a mature, reliable mentor who can play 20-30 games and be a great teammate, Lundqvist seems like a good option. But depending on cost, Fleury might be an even better option. It’s a good market for this right now. Lots of quality goalies floating around the market.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
This implies that he thinks those two teams are contenders while Wsh isn’t which is patently ridiculous. Considering who we know the Devils to be. The Isles, it’s debatable. I wouldn’t rest my laurels on one Series in which Wsh 1C was out essentially the entire Series, but that’s just me.

He didn't imply it. You inferred it. Stop being defensive. No one considers the devils a contender.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Looking at contenders who have a goalie spot open I see Washington as the best fit. Maybe Toronto if they move on from Andersen, Colorado if they don't wanna roll Grubauer/Francouz, and Vancouver if Markstrom walks. Maybe even Carolina. But really, Caps make sense.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Looking at contenders who have a goalie spot open I see Washington as the best fit. Maybe Toronto if they move on from Andersen, Colorado if they don't wanna roll Grubauer/Francouz, and Vancouver if Markstrom walks. Maybe even Carolina. But really, Caps make sense.
I really hope he stays away from Toronto. The team is poorly constructed, there's more pressure there than anywhere else, and I don't think they have a prayer of winning the cup unless they make massive changes. I wouldn't want to see him take the blame when the rules change for the postseason and somebody wipes the floor with them again.

Reactions: leetch99

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I really hope he stays away from Toronto. The team is poorly constructed, there's more pressure there than anywhere else, and I don't think they have a prayer of winning the cup unless they make massive changes. I wouldn't want to see him take the blame when the rules change for the postseason and somebody wipes the floor with them again.
Ehh Toronto comes with tons of pressure I get it, but Lundqvist comes from New York, so he can handle it no doubt. And they’re a good team and have been for several seasons now with star talent. Playoff disappointments happen, I know as a Caps fan. But they’re a fine squad that will be contending next year and the year after. They need to stay the course and make improvements, like adding another Top 4 defender. They don’t need massive changes

basically if I’m Lundqvist, Caps and Leafs probably look most appealing to me for a chance to win

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Would be close to as weird if not even more weird to see Lundqvist in another jersey as seeing Brodeur wearing a Blues jersey.
it will never happen but imagine him in a Devils jersey ?

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
He didn't imply it. You inferred it. Stop being defensive. No one considers the devils a contender.
I’m not going to debate you, no future in it. But while we’re on semantics, you’re technically correct AND incorrect. He DIDN’T imply it nor did I infer it. He explicitly stated it. Maybe learn to read!?! Again you’re right, no one considers the Devils contenders but by HIS OWN WORDS, they are so THE MORE TOU KNOW.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
If the Caps are looking for a mature, reliable mentor who can play 20-30 games and be a great teammate, Lundqvist seems like a good option. But depending on cost, Fleury might be an even better option. It’s a good market for this right now. Lots of quality goalies floating around the market.
Fleury to the caps???? Are you seroius??? Better luck getting mcdavid to Buffalo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad