Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] F Dylan Strome signs with the Capitals (1 year, $3.5M)

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
So perfect replacement for Backstrom these days :sarcasm:
If he can get ovechkin the puck effectively on the powerplay if he is put on there I think the caps should be happy. There was Noone they were going to be able to sign that would make them contenders imo, but that goal record is still achievable

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I’m not a Strome fan - pick one - but this is an ideal signing by the Caps. He fills an immediate need without wedding the team to him long term. Very smart move by the Caps and surprised Strome accepted a one year deal - but maybe that’s all he could find.

Reactions: HTFN

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Kinda stupid he didn't end up in Edmonton, seemed like a no brainer for both parties.
Good for Washington I guess but not expecting much
Only seemed like a no brainer to the media. In reality though, Strome is too slow to play a Woodcroft system, and he's not defensively aware enough to add anything that the Oilers are lacking. I know the popular talk was around reuniting with McDavid, but Strome isn't on the level to play top line with McDavid. He would be on Edmonton's third line, sucking it up the same way Kyle Turris did. I would have given him a chance in Edmonton, but his cap hit would have had to be so marginal that we could have buried it all in the minors if we had to, and there was never any chance he would have signed for 1.2M or whatever that number is.

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
I wanted to keep him just to keep our best offensive line together but DeBrincat trade killed that dream.

He was better last season in FO and less total off nights but he was still only O.

Honestly thought some GM would pay him lot more.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Not every player is elite or even good at everything. Strome is what he is. He's a really good offensive player. So the team he's on should get the most out of that and try to limit his exposure to what he isn't good at. Isn't that called good coaching/asset management? Every time he's given an extended look in an offensive role he puts up near PPG numbers. When they drop him down, the numbers disappear. In AZ, Tippett had him on the 4th line like he did with Turris and all the young players making them hate it here. You put him on a bottom six line and you're only hurting your team not to mention destroying the player's development. Just leave him in the press box if you're going to do that.

Reactions: Neil Racki

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
He’s got a one year deal on a good team. Good opportunity for him to prove something and Laviolette won’t put up with not working defensively even if he’s producing offensively — he jettisoned Sprong for being a one dimensional player when Sprong was one of their more effective scorers.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Good practice for the team to get used to a slow center, now that Strome is there and Backstrom will be losing his legs even more.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
He has enough wings on the roster that won't skate away from him, that might be a plus.

Is Kuznetsov going to be okay losing a bunch of the favorable shifts he had last year? Not much point putting Strome out there without giving a significant number of those shifts from last year to Strome. He needs soft matchups, good linemates, and low competition to thrive. Good luck to the caps 5 v 5 this year. .

If the pp is in the high 40% range, things will be fine.

CapsFrontOffice

Jul 8, 2014
Only seemed like a no brainer to the media. In reality though, Strome is too slow to play a Woodcroft system, and he's not defensively aware enough to add anything that the Oilers are lacking. I know the popular talk was around reuniting with McDavid, but Strome isn't on the level to play top line with McDavid. He would be on Edmonton's third line, sucking it up the same way Kyle Turris did. I would have given him a chance in Edmonton, but his cap hit would have had to be so marginal that we could have buried it all in the minors if we had to, and there was never any chance he would have signed for 1.2M or whatever that number is.
I immediately got defensive as soon as I read what you wrote but then realized that you are 100% right.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I immediately got defensive as soon as I read what you wrote but then realized that you are 100% right.
Thanks. I am not even trying to run down Strome. I think there are scenarios where he can be a good player in the NHL in the right scenario, I just don't think the media obsession with Strome to Edmonton made much sense.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Good practice for the team to get used to a slow center, now that Strome is there and Backstrom will be losing his legs even more.
"get used to"?

Backstrom looked like a man made out of mud last season, Strome at this point is an almost automatic improvement at even strength. The powerplay might be a different story, since Backstrom on 3/4ths of a body is still one of the best PPQBs in the league but even there he was more of a liability than he has ever been.

I love the guy, he's probably my favorite player, but Backstrom last year was both slow and without his ability to protect the puck with his base, generate leverage, counter-hit, etc. and that's realistically who they're replacing. A warm body who can do most of the same things at a discount level is a very "net neutral" outcome for them and that's just fine on a one year contract.

being a bad skater is... I don't want to say fine, but if it's just part and parcel of who you are it's workable. Backstrom last year was a ghost of a ghost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad