Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] F Dylan Strome signs with the Capitals (1 year, $3.5M)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
If you consider we traded Sammy for Strome its not that bad lol. I dont like seeing all these Hawk fans saying hes slow and cant skate.

Those Hawks fans just are not very smart,
He has improved his skating tons since his draft.
- Stromers skating is good enough, no worries.

He has a good shot and uses it smartly, his passing is good/great,
his hockey IQ is good too, he is good at face-off, good PP player as well.

Stromer is still developing, yet to hit his full potential at NHL level
you got a good young 1C center

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Looks like Dylan Strome betting on himself with this deal. I'm certain there were teams out there offering larger total contract value, especially if his brother's deal is any indication. I'm assuming he was promised PP time / 2C duties to put up points so he can cash in next year. Though I'm not sure that's wise - it's probably unlikely that he matches last year's productivity.

In the right situation he can definitely pile up the points. Great hands, good snapshot, sees the ice well. But his skating really hasn't improved much since junior. For a guy who is 6'3 200 lbs he has a remarkably little power in his stride and is softer than Johnny Gaudreau.

But like his brother, he can be productive alongside skilled play driving wingers, and has the surprising (and unique) ability to do so without holding them back too much, which is actually a pretty valuable trait. Unfortunately, Washington doesn't really have any of those...

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Good deal because what were the other options? The other Strome for 5 years? Other long-term contract?

Crow

May 19, 2014

This might even be too much for @Kevin Musto

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia

the existence of this post is enough proof that strome sucks and cant skate

Mohar Ikram

Dec 27, 2021
Muadzam Shah, Pahang, Malaysia
the existence of this post is enough proof that strome sucks and cant skate

Personally, we sometimes overrate skating ability.

Lots of players can play well and produce well without even having godly skating ability. Some players even get to HOF with mediocre skating.

As long as he knew what he is good for and fit to the system, it's fine.

Since the Caps winger are mostly top-club player or champions calibre, Strome will have no problem to fit in.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012

Yes, that's why he was picked up on the 3rd day of FA for one year. Because none of the NHL GMs have it figured out but you do.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Projectipn; big belpw average skating offensive C, that isnt physichal in boardbattles, doing his job, nothing more, coming in at 57 pts playing PP with Ovie.

Imagine if he was engaged in boardbattles.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I don’t mind paying 3C money for this guy. If he needs good wingers to get going, that certainly won’t be a problem on the Caps.

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
Strome has a lot of "I don't give a damn" in his game. I think he'll put up points in Washington but he's going to disappear for long stretches. Chicago should not have dumped him for nothing, but they are currently subscribed to the tactics of scorched earth.

Reactions: GoCaps2004

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
some of the expectations around here for a guy signed to a one year $3.5 million deal...

Prepare to be disappointed? Buddy its a one year deal, who cares

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
Not sure where you’re getting the xG% from but those numbers just aren’t correct.

He did have an unusually high OZ FO% this year after being in the 53-57% the last 3 years though.
I'm sorry. I wrote the wrong numbers those were expected goals forced not percentage. The percentage was around 48% the last two years. So not nearly as bad but for someone getting less than half the expected goals with 70% O zone starts with Patrick Kane as his most frequent linemate that's still not very good. Definitely backs up my statement that he needs to be heavily sheltered and play with quality linemates.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
He will put up pts, occasionally head to front of net and win some faceoffs

On other hand he is slow, pretty bad defensively and his effort is at times appalling

He will be frustrating player in DC as he was frustrating player to watch in Chicago

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad