Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] F Dylan Strome signs extension with the Capitals (5 years, $5M AAV)

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
So they want assets and they let one walk for free...? Brilliant tanking.
Cool narrative. Too bad you missed the numerous reports last year of how the Hawks tried to trade Strome. Teams weren’t willing to fork over even a third for him.

Want to know why? Because he’s a deeply flawed player. Yes he can put up points, he did that on the Hawks. But a guy as soft and slow as him, you won’t win with in the playoffs and teams know that.

But you’ll figure that out when Strome pulls his vanishing act in these upcoming playoffs should the Caps make it.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
5 million AAV is really not that much anymore, and really won't be that much at all once the cap goes up. He's the kind of player who can be real useful in a strong top 6 or top 9, and turns into a liability in a weak group. The Caps forwards may be pretty old generally but they're still quite good.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
He's turned into a very solid player. At 25 YO, contract seems fine. He's been pretty good for a few seasons now.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Feels reasonable to me. If they need to get out from under the deal there will always be teams looking for decent centers, and 5m should be slightly more palatable in the coming years.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Cool narrative. Too bad you missed the numerous reports last year of how the Hawks tried to trade Strome. Teams weren’t willing to fork over even a third for him.

Want to know why? Because he’s a deeply flawed player. Yes he can put up points, he did that on the Hawks. But a guy as soft and slow as him, you won’t win with in the playoffs and teams know that.

But you’ll figure that out when Strome pulls his vanishing act in these upcoming playoffs should the Caps make it.
It's amazing you're writing off a player who's played nine games for a 22 year old almost 3 years ago.

We obviously know everything there is to know about a player at that point. Might as well be out of the league. Shoulda kicked Oshie out of the league when he had 9 points in 30 games with the Blues.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
That's awesome for him.... Very happy to see this... Recently had a kid and can now know he can set up shop in Washington for a while.

Congrats

Reactions: Silky mitts

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Yeah, most hawks fans hate Stromer, for some reason 🤷‍♂️ - ive been a fan since Otter times (with Brinksy, one of my favorite players) the criticism he has gotten is ridiculous.

He is a player you to have, when you are fighting from a cup (same goes for Brinksy).

5 x 5 is a realtively bargain contract
- lots of good times for Caps with Dylan Strome

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
It's funny to see the Chicago fans come in. I have no idea why they'd have let a player like Strome just walk for free. Been just the kind of player the Capitals needed this year. Also seems to have some good chemistry with Ovechkin, but has done plenty well enough alone.

View attachment 645344
I always like seeing guys who were hyped as prospects but disappointed finally find their spot. Can’t imagine the pressure and internal demons they deal with getting there.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
He paced for 57 points last year and is on pace for 57 this year. Thats basically the market for a player like Strome. Not a great skater but I dont see him being an albastross by the time he is 30. Like others have pointed out he has the potential to put up 70+ points in one of these next 5 seasons. Idk, I like the deal

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Seems like the Caps and Cap fans are pleased with this and it isn't gratuitous for examples of guys with similar numbers so... fine.

Reactions: Hivemind

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
I think it's a fair contract. Got about the Anderson treatment. Going rate for bigger body who puts up some goals and points.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Good for him getting that security after all the ups and downs. Hopefully he can settle in and find consistency.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Every time this is mentioned I lose years off my life
Move on.

Forsberg didn’t make or break anything and the Preds (a team that by any measure should have won by now WITH Forsberg) still haven’t won.

The management of that trade cost George McPhee his job so Win:Win and I like McPhee but we weren’t winning with him in town. It is what it is.

Reactions: CapsCrazyX17

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Looks about right. 5 years seems like quite a while for a Strome type but could look great if the cap moves up in a couple years.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
JEE got 5.25 and Joel brings a lot more to the table IMO, so that's the marker for me.

But Strome's ability to survive (Ovi can't be easily satisfied, I'm sure) and improve in Washington says a lot about his willingness to compete. They probably asked Ovi before they signed him. Not just any guy can play with the likes of #8 or P. Kane for that matter. He takes a lot of fan abuse, but there he is.

Good for Dylan.

Joel definitely brings more to the table, and that's why his deal is three years longer and comes with an NMC and a 10 team no-trade list for the last five years. If he'd gotten 5 years and no trade protection like Strome, his AAV would've been a fair bit higher.

Same reason why they traded away Dach (who was only 21) and Debrincat. For a chance to get Bedard. I hope the hockey Gods don't allow them to win the lottery.

So Strome is so good the Hawks had to get rid of him to or he'd ruin their tank, but he's also so bad that no one would offer them anything in a trade... Something doesn't add up there.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
So uhh, outside of a bad 2020 on a truly awful team where's the inconsistency...?
View attachment 645390
11 goals to 22 goals to 9 goals to 12 goals to 22 is pretty damn inconsistent.
I don't know what your definition is and of course it's subjective leaving an open ended argument (which I won't take part in) but I don't know how you consider that as consistent.

Especially when you try to take the lowest number out of the equation. I mean that's like arguing that the sky isn't blue but tell the other person that they can't count 5:00 am to 8:00 pm just because

stardog

Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
$5 million isn’t really that much with a $82.5 salary cap and rising.

Still think too many people view these deals on where the cap was five years ago. If anything this is probably an underpayment for a perfectly fine 2nd line center.

Ovechkin-Strome-Sheary is the caps best line too.
Based on what exactly? Because I see far more focus on the cap and where it is between the period since COVID-19 hit and now than I do with people thinking about where it was 5 years ago.
Heck, 3/4 of the teams are right up against the cap right now so their fans are well aware of the Cap and how seals affect it now than 5 years ago or basing today's deals on the cap and how it was 5 years ago.

stardog

Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
So they want assets and they let one walk for free...? Brilliant tanking.
No, tanking is wanting specific kinds of assets.
If it meant wanting assets, all assets then the term tanking would be obsolete and would never apply to any team.

Reactions: Barnaby

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Good signing. He’s established himself as an offensive contributor to the caps. Well done caps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad