Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] F Dylan Strome signs extension with the Capitals (5 years, $5M AAV)

SOKOL

Oct 26, 2007
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">News: Capitals have re-signed center Dylan Strome to a five-year contract extension. AAV of $5 million.</p>&mdash; Samantha Pell (@SamanthaJPell) <a href="">February 3, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
Wow. I guess they like him in Washington. But I didn't think being on pace for like 17 goals was that impressive.

Can Washington fans speak to the season he's having? He must be fitting in really well.

Edit: can't wait for the threads to merge.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
He’s been easily one of the Caps best players this season and better than any of their centers including Kuznetsov and the limited action that Backstrom has seen. He has great chemistry with Ovi. Not hyperbole to say the Caps would not be competing for a playoff spot if they didn’t grab him this year. He’s far surpassed expectations. Is it a contract year bump? Maybe, but he’s been very solid at both ends of the ice.

Could be wrong but I think they look to move Kuznetsov this summer.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
It's funny to see the Chicago fans come in. I have no idea why they'd have let a player like Strome just walk for free. Been just the kind of player the Capitals needed this year. Also seems to have some good chemistry with Ovechkin, but has done plenty well enough alone.

1675440926970.png

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
I don't know how this contract will age, he starts in the offensive zone almost 70% of the time and is a -7 and his faceoff win% is down almost 4% compared to last season. He has been a nice surprise but the team has 1 defenseman under contract beyond this season. Seems like an odd player to target for a mid-season extension with all of the uncertainty on the back end.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I don't know how this contract will age, he starts in the offensive zone almost 70% of the time and is a -7 and his faceoff win% is down almost 4% compared to last season. He has been a nice surprise but the team has 1 defenseman under contract beyond this season. Seems like an odd player to target for a mid-season extension with all of the uncertainty on the back end.
We have a lot of cap next year, Mantha will probably be moved to free up close to 6 million. And this gives them the chance to unload Kuznetsov if someone is a buyer.

Eller's gone next year, Kuznetsov isn't that good, Backstrom is coming back from a surgery no one comes back from, and Dowd is a killer. They needed something at Center they can have some reliability on next year and into the present future while they wait and hope McMichael and Lapierre (and maybe Protas) develop. Which I have my doubts happen while Lavi is here, no matter what drum some posters bang in the Caps forum.

Reactions: mattihp

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Seems he's better defensively than I thought

He’s been fine defensively. He reminds me of a worse version of Backstrom. Backstrom was never a fast skater but had elite hockey sense and IQ that made up for his lack of speed. Strome is in the same mold. He’s got a better shot but isn’t quite the passer Backstrom was, and Backstrom was better defensively, but that’s why Nick is a borderline Hall of Famer and why Strome is 1/2C tweener. Both are cerebral players who think the game on another level which makes up for their lack of speed. And Strome is only 25 which helps the Caps given they’re old as hell.

1675441987226.png

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
If they have the space where this deal won't keep them from retaining other, more important players - and I don't see why it would - its not a bad deal. And I'm not someone who likes Strome.

He's definitely a capable PP player, has the ability to play with top players at ES, can play C and is not a liability in the dot... but there are probably aspects of the centre position where he ranks pretty low league-wide, and he's not a play-driver at 5v5.

It is tough for me to see him as a good player on a good team, but forwards who would be 18+ min guys on pretty much any team in the league get more than $5m. By the time this deal is wrapping up, we'll have a 2028 cap and Strome will just be turning 30. He could improve by then, but even if he doesn't, I can't see that contract being untradeable unless Strome really craters/suffers a significant injury.

For all the talk of the Strome brothers being busts - and, to be clear, I would not want either guy on my team for anywhere near their current salaries - they have both carved out decent careers and will retire with a whole lot of money.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Meh at best.

The reality is if Dylan Strome is one of your top 2 centers your team kinda sucks. He does not carry the puck or drive play as a center, not a good faceoff man, shelered from playing any kind of defensive role.

He's a stopgap at best really.

Good for him for putting up some points and getting this money though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad