Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] F Dylan Strome signs extension with the Capitals (5 years, $5M AAV)

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Cool narrative. Too bad you missed the numerous reports last year of how the Hawks tried to trade Strome. Teams weren’t willing to fork over even a third for him.

Want to know why? Because he’s a deeply flawed player. Yes he can put up points, he did that on the Hawks. But a guy as soft and slow as him, you won’t win with in the playoffs and teams know that.

But you’ll figure that out when Strome pulls his vanishing act in these upcoming playoffs should the Caps make it.
I mean, maybe but your playoffs argument is deeply flawed as well.
You're basing this off what? Dude's been to the playoffs exactly ONCE.
9 whole games.
Considering that fact along with it obviously being his first time in the NHL playoffs that's hardly compelling evidence. That's not even decent evidence as there have been tons of greats who struggled in their first pro playoff outing.

As for the other part, and I should point out that I am not a Caps or Strone fan, the part talking about no GM's were willing to give up even a 3rd rounder for him because they all seem him as a "deeply flawed" player that too is just plain B.S.
What evidence backs that claim?

That he wasn't traded? No, that only means that multiple possibilities exist as to why and isn't in any way evidence that the sole reasons were that every GM sees him as a deeply flawed player (as well as their opinions regarding his lack of playoff prowess but I think we've sufficiently debunked that bad boy rather easily).

First, he wouldn't even be in the league were he so deeply flawed.
2nd, cap space... especially 3 million dollars is worth far more than a 3rd round pick to GMs so I find it tough to believe that no GM wouldn't have given up a 3rd round pick for him. Rather it might have been the asking price combined with his cap hit being the more plausible reason as to why he wasn't moved last year.
Nor, if every GM saw him as "deeply flawed" would multiple GM's have attempted to add him in free agency....nor would one of them have actually signed him. Let alone signed him to a 3 million dollar contract/cap hit...AND they ESPECIALLY wouldn't have gone ahead and then RESIGNED him (and to a much larger contract/cap hit) a mere few months after the timeframe that you claim that they see him as a player who is deeply flawed.

Look, I mostly agree with your stance on the contract and that it's an overpayment. But you don't need blatant hyperbole or making stuff up to get that point across.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Initial impression is that it’s bad for Washington, which is fine by me

Idk though I haven’t been watching Washington a ton this year. He’s never really done a lot away from the puck

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Yeah, most hawks fans hate Stromer, for some reason 🤷‍♂️ - ive been a fan since Otter times (with Brinksy, one of my favorite players) the criticism he has gotten is ridiculous.

He is a player you to have, when you are fighting from a cup (same goes for Brinksy).

5 x 5 is a realtively bargain contract
- lots of good times for Caps with Dylan Strome
Chicago fans don’t hate him. Everyone wishes him well. That doesn’t change that he’s slow and not responsible defensively. He can put up regular season points, sure, but isn’t built to be an important component of a playoff team.

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Chicago fans don’t hate him. Everyone wishes him well. That doesn’t change that he’s slow and not responsible defensively. He can put a can put up regular season points, sure, but isn’t built to be an important component of a playoff team.
He is a filler, secondary player

In theory, you hope to pay these guys 2-3 M so you can pay your superstars that carry the team

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Bfan14

Jan 24, 2023
He’s been fine defensively. He reminds me of a worse version of Backstrom. Backstrom was never a fast skater but had elite hockey sense and IQ that made up for his lack of speed. Strome is in the same mold. He’s got a better shot but isn’t quite the passer Backstrom was, and Backstrom was better defensively, but that’s why Nick is a borderline Hall of Famer and why Strome is 1/2C tweener. Both are cerebral players who think the game on another level which makes up for their lack of speed. And Strome is only 25 which helps the Caps given they’re old as hell.

View attachment 645352
Not sure I would ever call Strome a #1 C... even a tweener

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
This is a fair deal for a guy I see as a decent complimentary offensive 2C who should be able to help a team get into the playoffs. But I think he'll struggle to find success in the postseason, as has been the case throughout his career going back to junior. He just lacks the pace and intensity. He was particularly awful during his draft year playoffs when McDavid went off and he looked like he had weights in his skates (I think he might have been injured but can't recall).

But I think the caps are okay with that. They'll probably be a bubble team for the majority of this contract so he could help be the difference between missing the playoffs or being a WC team.

Funny that he and his older brother got identical contracts.

Reactions: kthx

OKR

Nov 18, 2015

In theory, you hope to pay these guys 2-3 M so you can pay your superstars that carry the team
Take a look at the players who make 2-3m in today’s NHL, 90% of them are fringe NHL players.

Take a look at Strome’s comparable contracts and you’ll notice that it’s a pretty good deal.

Reactions: max21

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
When Strome is put in a top six scoring role he scores, a lot. He did that right for the start even here with the Yotes. Problem is so many of these moron coaches tried to make him earn his place or whatever starting on the 4th line or playing in roles he'll never be suited for just making him look like garbage. That gets him scratched or traded. Tocc did everything he could to botch his development. Every time he put him on a line with a scorer or two he'd look great and then immediately break it up and say something about defense. Meanwhile the team couldn't score for shit. Happy he's finally somewhere they appreciate his strength and not focusing on what he doesn't do well.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY

Plenty of bottom six guys make that or more. Thats absurd. I wouldn't want my team to ink him to this deal, but its market value. He'd def get in that neighborhood as a UFA. Hopefully things work out for him.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Why ? Haven't seen him play a lot this year, but seems like a lot for what he brings. Has he become a two-way force ? What am i missing ?

Why a two way force? 5M isnt what is used to be...

Im surprised though, because his offensive numbers dont look really good either.

Reactions: Revansky

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Ovie should get 15% of this deal.

2/3 c's will always get overpaid. Better pick the right one to overpay.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Plenty of bottom six guys make that or more. Thats absurd. I wouldn't want my team to ink him to this deal, but its market value. He'd def get in that neighborhood as a UFA. Hopefully things work out for him.
You would not want your team to ink him to this deal

That proves my point

It doesn’t mean shit if there are many bad contracts

NextYear67

Averaging over a like per post
Mar 2, 2018
GTA
People saying it’s a bad contract are clueless. It’s a very fair deal. Doesn’t even make him a top 50 paid centre next year

Reactions: OKR and max21

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
It's amazing you're writing off a player who's played nine games for a 22 year old almost 3 years ago.

We obviously know everything there is to know about a player at that point. Might as well be out of the league. Shoulda kicked Oshie out of the league when he had 9 points in 30 games with the Blues.
9 games? He played 3 years in Chicago. Decent offensively but a pedestrian in his own zone.
He is also simply too soft for playoff hockey or really against any physicality. He is good with the puck with time and space but when the defenses start to play tighter (March to June) he stays on the periphery and won’t engage. Pace also picks up as the year goes on and he is an extremely slow skater.
But enough of this casual fans opinion.

I think I can speak for a lot of Hawk fans in that we’re happy it wasn’t with us but we are also happy for him that he got paid. More to life than hockey and by all public accounts he is a great guy (and newer dad).

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Joel definitely brings more to the table, and that's why his deal is three years longer and comes with an NMC and a 10 team no-trade list for the last five years. If he'd gotten 5 years and no trade protection like Strome, his AAV would've been a fair bit higher.

So Strome is so good the Hawks had to get rid of him to or he'd ruin their tank, but he's also so bad that no one would offer them anything in a trade... Something doesn't add up there.
Those are not Hawk fans you’re quoting.
The new mgmt wants a certain type of player. Strome is very slow and very passive.
Also he was out there at the TDL last year. It is said, No other team offered even a 3rd for him which we kind of understand. Buyers at the TDL want guys who step up in the tough, tight, faster and more physical playoff environment.
He’s not that guy.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
9 games? He played 3 years in Chicago. Decent offensively but a pedestrian in his own zone.
He is also simply too soft for playoff hockey or really against any physicality. He is good with the puck with time and space but when the defenses start to play tighter (March to June) he stays on the periphery and won’t engage. Pace also picks up as the year goes on and he is an extremely slow skater.
But enough of this casual fans opinion.

I think I can speak for a lot of Hawk fans in that we’re happy it wasn’t with us but we are also happy for him that he got paid. More to life than hockey and by all public accounts he is a great guy (and newer dad).
Read the quote. The thing I was responding too was someone crying about him disappearing in the playoffs, when he's played a total of 9 games when he was 22. It's a ridiculous strawman, right up there with "he's not consistent" that is just people who don't seem to like him and want to unload blame on him.

No Capital fan is pretending he's a franchise piece, a PPG, or the next hart winner. But by the way Chicago fans come in to talk about their ex, you'd think he was a 20 point winger who was just feeding Kane and now Ovi for those 20 points.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
You would not want your team to ink him to this deal

That proves my point

It doesn’t mean shit if there are many bad contracts
That he's a 2-3 million dollar player? No, it doesn't. Thats absurd. You want to say hes a little overpaid? Ok, but he'd still likely get tgat contract as a UFA. He wouldnt be signing for 2.5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad