Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] F Aliaksei Protas signs extension with the Capitals (5 years, $3.375M AAV)

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Wow. Has he been a lot better than i realized? I don't end up watching much of the Caps, but this seems like...a huge gamble that he's going to get significantly better over the term of this deal. Certainly haven't seen that caliber of player in what i've seen, nor do the stats really bear that out.
yes

He's a big boy still learning how to be a big man but it feels like every month that goes by has him turning more and more grown NHL players into children following their father at sticktime and just being casually fended off. He doesn't have phone booth hands (who does at that size) but has the kind of touch and ability to put pucks where he knows he can get them while others can't, and is getting better at it with time now that he's being trusted to do more than just be a big checking body like Laviolette had him doing.

his passing this year is blossoming, his defense is very capable (size isn't hurting here either) and he could honestly be anything from a .5ppg guy with effortless size and easy defense to pushing a ppg player with real offensive touch like a pass-heavy Tage Thompson.

To me he's got a Brian Boyle+ energy, he's not going to thrash you and bash you but he keeps being sneaky good defensively and makes plays that make you go "that dude again?" if you're watching on the other side. Now it all depends on how he grows or how consistently he finds it.

I'm very happy with this deal even if he doesn't change much from what he is right now, it's still not a big problem. If he finds even one extra step (and he has so far even over the course of the year to my eyes) he's going to be a small problem. Like, if he works on his shot all offseason or finds another skating level... that's bad news

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I wanted to find a little game recap or highlight package for this but so many of his best touches are on plays that die later or just unexpected plus-quality touch passes or finding guys in the neutral zone that don't make highlight reels.

He's great at sneaking up on guys who can't hear footsteps and suddenly being a stick they didn't factor in like this backcheck here:

This one's just good body usage and finding soft spots in his big ol' range but the read is nice too:

He's weird, he'll make a few really good passes right into stride or on the tape that eventually go nowhere and can't be highlights, then get these weird bouncy highlight goals that don't display what makes him seriously one of the Caps' best overall players on the year. I know he's made a few passes that made me sit up in my chair or go "damn, that was nice" but they so rarely translate to easily sourced video.

Matter of time though. The other night he just casually walked behind the net with two players trailing him like useless babies and I thought "yep, that guy's going to eventually learn he can do that a lot more often", and he's got a great knack for finding open players... it will only get better

Last edited:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
What in the world is Joshua worth now?

This propably is a poor comparison for him. Protas just turned 23 and this contract ends when he's 29. Joshua turns 28 before his next contract even kicks in.

I like this. That's 3rd line money and he's a capable 3rd liner already and has improved year after year.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
That's 3rd line money and he's a capable 3rd liner already and has improved year after year.
This, he is 3rd liner at his worst so really weird people have issue with middle-six forward being paid 3.4 mil. That's nothing but good value unless he somehow declines over his prime years.

Joshua spent half of the season in the ECHL when he was that age.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
good player, good contract, liked his game already in the WHL.
you could see at the worlds that he was a gamer, even though he wasn't producing
has developed nicely pas few years

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Betting on one of those players that will grow into more offensive over time. Projects power forward I believe?

He's a big guy but doesn't actually play like a power forward in the sense that he's not a hitter, or a helmet puncher, or an agitator.

He's more of a puck possession play maker. Good along the boards. Good passer. Big wingspan - he uses it well defensively.

Personally I like the deal. If he continues to mature, this is the type of young player depth contract that contributes to a healthy salary cap situation.

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Stealthiest player in NHL history? Didn’t even know he existed and apparently video cameras can’t even capture his highlights.
Honestly, probably not far from being true. He’s a former third round pick who isn’t going to put up highlight reel goals and has been under the radar for most of his time in DC but he keeps improving year after year. He’s a different player under Carberry this season and has added some playmaking ability to his skill set. At worst he’s a defensively responsible bottom six guy but he should be a middle six player and he can play center or wing.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
There's very little risk for the team here at that number, and lots of potential upside. On the other hand, while there's certainly stability on the player side, there is very real risk he starts to outperform the contract soon. There was little chance he was going to flame out of the league, so I'm not sure the stability argument is persuasive. Maybe he's really worried about unforeseen injuries derailing a career. He's been healthy so far.

Nice deal for the Caps. Unwise on the player side. I wonder if his agent tried in vain to dissuade him from going for this deal? The team isn't really giving anything up here.

Reactions: HTFN

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I haven't watched this player in the NHL so I was going to come here and write about how stupid it is to pay an 18 point player this much money, but then I saw he is 6'6", so it is a good signing. You can't teach size.

Nogatco Rd

Owner & Operator, HFBoards LLC
Apr 3, 2021
There's very little risk for the team here at that number, and lots of potential upside. On the other hand, while there's certainly stability on the player side, there is very real risk he starts to outperform the contract soon. There was little chance he was going to flame out of the league, so I'm not sure the stability argument is persuasive. Maybe he's really worried about unforeseen injuries derailing a career. He's been healthy so far.

Nice deal for the Caps. Unwise on the player side. I wonder if his agent tried in vain to dissuade him from going for this deal? The team isn't really giving anything up here.
Pretty much nailed it. Great deal for the Caps. Without knowing his/his family’s circumstances I will stop short of saying it’s a bad deal for Protas the player.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
i don't hate this bet

washington is basically handcuffed right now in trying to get ovechkin the goals record. at some point over the contract, he either gets the record or calls it quits, at which point protas (if he pans out) is going to be a pretty valuable asset for returning picks/prospects in the rebuild. if not, it's just money that the owner can afford to spend.

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
I don’t even know how much of a gamble it is. They have cap space, he’s improved a lot and is still young, he has tons of upside. If he doesn’t improve at all from here I’d be shocked, but even if he didn’t it’s not a disastrous contract, and the upside is huge. Big guys often take extra time, I think he has 2C upside.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Betting on Protas developing his offensive game more. That's probably a decent bet to make, as the potential is certainly there and there's not much risk that he will completely crater and become a useless player. If he can pick up the pace offensively (even as a complimentary offensive piece around the net front), he will be a heck of a well-rounded player that can contribute in difficult match-ups and to the puck possession game. Not a big hitter, but uses his size well to protect the puck and his position on the ice. Think along the lines of Zemgus Girgensons, but with an even bigger frame.

Even if his offensive game doesn't pan out, this isn't a terrible deal in a vacuum. However, this is a roster with a lot of "not terrible deals" that aren't really pulling their weight currently. So this deal could either help break this trend, or it could continue to pile up those mid-priced deals for mid-tier players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad