Confirmed Trade: [WSH/DET] Anthony Mantha for Jakub Vrana, Richard Panik, 2021 1st, and 2022 2nd

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Vrana has been in the doghouse for four separate coaches

Mann (AHL) scratched him several times after his first NHL call up because he was apparently not focused when he returned.

Trotz scratched him several times as well.

Reirden constantly was reducing his ice time.

Laviolette just made him a healthy scratch two games a week ago.

He has immense talent... but he’s useless off the puck and at what point does “potential” just become something that he’ll never attain?

I loved engaged and locked in Vrana but he was too inconsistent

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
He has immense talent... but he’s useless off the puck and at what point does “potential” just become something that he’ll never attain?

I loved engaged and locked in Vrana but he was too inconsistent
can be argued that mantha is the exact same way.

Reactions: RedHawkDown

Spender

Feb 16, 2013
Växjö
Probably an over-payment, but Washington getting close to a now or never situation to go after a second cup, so I can understand it.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Vranas time was about up, fell out of favor with the coaching staff. Doubt he was signing here again. That said sad to see him leave, I don’t much about Mantha other than he’s a big dude

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Capitals fan that don't mind this trade.

It's a steep price to pay but our window is now and Vrana was in the dog-house with Laviolette. Look at his game log in the past month or so and you will find 10-13 minutes per game and twice a healthy scratch. He has 11 goals this season, 8 of which are against Sabres and Devils. 3 in 26 games against the other teams in the division. He doesn't score against the opponents the Capitals needed him to score. He's also an RFA that was about to get paid big time, and the Capitals didn't seem to be the team paying him.

Wish him all the best in Detroit. They got a good one. I feel like this increases the Capitals chances this season and love it that they got rid of 2 bad years of Panik's contract in the process.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I’m seeing this trade is seen as very bad for the Caps but is it Erat for Forsberg bad? :laugh:
Forsberg had never even played a game.

Jakub Vrana is a realized asset, this idea that one day he’ll become some perennial all star after 4 years in the league is absurd. 4 different coaches have had difficulty with him, this isn’t Forsberg for Erat by annnnny stretch

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Had to compensate appropriately for somebody to take on Panik’s salary.

Vrana is on a bridge deal and might be due a large salary bump after 2022.

Vrana was being healthy-scratched with the coaching change.

Caps are about to have to re-sign Ovi next year and needed cap space for it.

In a vacuum it’s an overpayment. But considering the above it kind of makes sense. Losing the 1st blows but it would have also blown losing Vrana for nothing after 2022. And it seem Mantha is a better fit than Vrana under the current regime.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
How does Yzerman do this? Good thing Holland was too busy coming up with reasons why he wanted to nap this afternoon and didn't give Yzerman another deadline day call.

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Detroit should be a pretty exciting team soon.

I don't know about Mantha, maybe playing with all those experienced big stars in Washington will open up space for him to bury a bunch of goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad