Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Brett Leason signs his ELC

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Yes, but there are usually multiple teams gunning for college free agents, and there is a minimal chance they'll sign with your team. So yes, if you can land them, do it. That says nothing about the value of using a pick on an over ager. Some players develop later, its quite common.

Leason held his own on the Canada U20 roster with same age highly drafted players - that's a pretty good sign, and well worth a 2nd round risk.

All I said is free is better than not free. Least controversial statement ever.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
Batherson was a single over ager. Leason has gone through twice.

All I said is free is better than not free. Least controversial statement ever.

The context of what you said was given by your previous quote, which appears to say that Leason being passed over twice makes him a suspect draft pick.

The discussion of College players is 100% valid, given the efforts that teams put into signing these players to contracts. Of course it is attractive to not have to give up a draft pick, however, these players typically demand a ELC that is equivalent to 1st round picks. In addition, the attention that some of them get is an indication that teams would be willing to spend picks on them if it was required.

The common thread is that both over age players in Jr, and college FAs are a little older and can be compared to other 20-22 yr olds to gauge their development. In addition, it's very common to see a bigger bodied player take a little more time to come into his own (ala Leason).

Reactions: Dominance

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
The context of what you said was given by your previous quote, which appears to say that Leason being passed over twice makes him a suspect draft pick.

The discussion of College players is 100% valid, given the efforts that teams put into signing these players to contracts. Of course it is attractive to not have to give up a draft pick, however, these players typically demand a ELC that is equivalent to 1st round picks. In addition, the attention that some of them get is an indication that teams would be willing to spend picks on them if it was required.

The common thread is that both over age players in Jr, and college FAs are a little older and can be compared to other 20-22 yr olds to gauge their development. In addition, it's very common to see a bigger bodied player take a little more time to come into his own (ala Leason).

Batherson was a single over ager.
Leason was a doubler over ager.

2nd round pick is more expensive than free.

Couldn't be less controversial If I tried. I'm sorry all these facts are so triggering.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
Batherson was a single over ager.
Leason was a doubler over ager.

2nd round pick is more expensive than free.

Couldn't be less controversial If I tried. I'm sorry all these facts are so triggering.

Your statements in a vacuum aren't controversial, but the implied conclusion was a non-sequitor.

If you want to argue that you were merely stating isolated facts with no implied conclusion, fine... but I seriously wonder what the point of posting is if you are going to make obvious statements without using them to support a broader opinion.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Your statements in a vacuum aren't controversial, but the implied conclusion was a non-sequitor.

If you want to argue that you were merely stating isolated facts with no implied conclusion, fine... but I seriously wonder what the point of posting is if you are going to make obvious statements without using them to support a broader opinion.

Because they were directly quoting people who explicitly said

1. Leason is like batherson.
2.What's the difference between a college signing and an over age draft pick?

Mar 12, 2009
Mitch Marner was a CHL overager. Well 1 year over but there is many cases of great NHL players that took 2 years after draft year to make the NHL.
He was never an over ager in any sense of the term though?
When people say over ager it refers to a player A) in their CHL overage season (ie. they are playing as a 20-21 year old in what would be their 5th season age-wise for junior hockey) or B) when talking about players being drafted into the NHL who had been passed over in previous drafts. Marner fits neither.

Reactions: Dominance

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Can this be like Andrew Shaw was for the Blackhawks right after being drafted yes or no

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Because they were directly quoting people who explicitly said

1. Leason is like batherson.
2.What's the difference between a college signing and an over age draft pick?

More expensive than free. What's the value in losing the player to another team. Of you are competing with 10 teams for a player, wouldn't you rather spend a draft and get the player?

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
More expensive than free. What's the value in losing the player to another team. Of you are competing with 10 teams for a player, wouldn't you rather spend a draft and get the player?

I don't really think any of that is relevant to the question of whether acquiring someone for no pick is as expensive as aquiring them with a pick.

I will continue not to go down the rabbit holes everyone is throwing up everywhere.

It was a simple original question, with a simple answer.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Just curious, how long would the Caps have held the rights for Leason had they not signed him now? I know normally CHL players' rights can be held for two years but since Leason is a double overager and wouldn't have been eligible to go back after next year, what would happen? Do the Caps lose Leason's rights next year if they don't sign him or do they retain them and Leason, not being able to join either his CHL team or a Caps affiliate team, has to go play in some other league?

Using Leason as an example is obviously a bit weird since the Caps invested a 2nd rounder on him so there's no chance he goes unsigned but it probably happens to some later round overager picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad