Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Brett Leason signs his ELC

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Had a very average 2nd half to his season. Not even sure if he was PPG from the WJC to the end of the year? Very close if so.

Good value pick, but not the biggest steal of the draft.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
is kinda interesting how no one drafted him in 2017 or 2018

It happens, it doesn't click for some guys immediately. Tanner Pearson was picked in the late 1st in 2012 (his 3rd time through the draft) and has done relatively well compared to some of the other picks in the same area. Viktor Arvidsson was drafted in his 4th year of eligibility; I remember arguing with a guy on the Devils board who insisted it was a bad idea to use a late round pick on Arvidsson since there was "obviously" a reason why he wasn't picked previously.

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
That's valuable, but it's far from a steal in the 2nd round. You can find a lot of those guys in the middle rounds or later, they just are not as developed as a D+2 would be.

I see that as something positive for the Caps. Pretty sure they saw it the same way.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Ah right forgot how much stock people put into the WJC. Well I sincerely hope he turns out better than every other CHL over-ager to join the league.
Mitch Marner was a CHL overager. Well 1 year over but there is many cases of great NHL players that took 2 years after draft year to make the NHL.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I remember when Arizona used a 1st round pick on the most NHL ready 20 year old Viktor Tikhonov. Sometimes it doesn’t work out and we discover in hindsight the players were already close to their maximum potential rather then having a lot of untapped upside potential remaining.

Last edited:

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Drake batherson 2.0, and by 2.0 I mean the second liner version of drake, who will be a 1st liner.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
True that he was one of oldest, nevertheless.... just because you are old, doesn't automatically
make you ready, he ACTUALLY is ready. and its not because of his age.
Huh ?

He certainly wasnt ready two years ago. Of course its because of his age.

That said, the right pick for the Capitals. They are in a winning mode now.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
I remember when Arizona used a 1st round pick on the most NHL ready 20 year old Viktor Tikhonov. Sometimes it doesn’t work out and we discover in hindsight the players were already close to their maximum potential rather then having a lot of untapped upside potential remaining.

Tikhonov didn't work out, but your point about development is irrelevant to a player being an over-ager. The Caps likely drafted Leason based on his development as compared to other players his age (most of who had been drafted).

The idea of hitting your development ceiling has nothing to do with the age you are drafted.

Reactions: Dominance

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
I am not sure what the issue is here. College players go from off the radar entirely as freshman to desirable as juniors to bidding war as seniors. Bloomers bloom when they bloom. Early, late or in between.

College players are:

1. Free assets
2. Playing in an older league.

Picking up a 22 year old,who is playing well against 18-22 year olds, for the cost of the contract is very different than paying a 2nd round pick, for a 6'5 20 year old, doing pretty well against 15-20 year olds.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
College players are:

1. Free assets

Picking up a 22 year old,who is playing well against 18-22 year olds, for the cost of the contract is very different than paying a 2nd round pick, for a 6'5 20 year old, doing pretty well against 15-20 year olds.

Is it really? The idea is to get the players you need however, you can get them. As most draft picks are not NHL players and desirable ufa college players are hard to get, using a draft pick on a player you know will play is a no brainer. Imagine using a draft pick on a player who chooses not to sign, goes ufa and is an nhl player.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Is it really? The idea is to get the players you need however, you can get them. As most draft picks are not NHL players and desirable ufa college players are hard to get, using a draft pick on a player you know will play is a no brainer. Imagine using a draft pick on a player who chooses not to sign, goes ufa and is an nhl player.

I don't know what you're disagreeing with? My premise that a 2nd round pick is more of an asset than signing a player for free?

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Disagreeing that's it's not a good use of the pick. Yea free is better unless another team gets the player.

I didn't say it was necessarily a bad use of the pick. I was explaining why getting a college player for free is not the same as drafting a double overager in the 2nd round.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
College players are:

1. Free assets

Yes, but there are usually multiple teams gunning for college free agents, and there is a minimal chance they'll sign with your team. So yes, if you can land them, do it. That says nothing about the value of using a pick on an over ager. Some players develop later, its quite common.

Leason held his own on the Canada U20 roster with same age highly drafted players - that's a pretty good sign, and well worth a 2nd round risk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad