Writer and actors on STRIKE. Most main stream TV and Movies come to a stand still

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Projections are this could be longer than the last one due to key demands from the writers.

Like with the actors, writers are feeling the pinch from so many streaming services, when it comes to getting paid lower royalties and other things.

Will be interesting to see how this unfolds

Reactions: Neil Racki

archangel2

May 19, 2019

Movie guys are on strike as well. Several high profile shoots, will continue but won't be able to do any on set rewrites as the writer guild have all original scripts on file.

It will be interesting how this affects film and TV filmed outside of the USA and financed by non US companies

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
A peek into it:

Some of the proposals are pretty extreme, but are negotiating tactics. In additions to the big residuals question the guilds all know agency packaging fees have gone away and each want a bite out of that pie.
FB_IMG_1683037327348.jpg
FB_IMG_1683037331349.jpg

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Good luck with getting the studios to agree with the AI-part..
It is just another ask in the pot. There are no $ attached to it yet, so it would seem to be a throw away concession to be bargained against minimum staffing and higher # of weeks guaranteed. The WGA doesn't know how AI would be used any better than the AMPTP. Notice it doesn't mention whether or not WGA members can be assisted by AI. Also notice how it all boils down to total $ at the end.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Whatever movie is currently in production can't change a single line of dialog. We may see a few real stinkers coming up because the scrpits can't be fixed and the films are locked into a release date, like Quantom of Solace was during the last strike.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Pay the writers. Ultimately its good writing that makes a show great. An all star studded cast cant bring a hollow story to life.
It's really not the best time to go on a strike during this economic situation where just about every company is cutting costs and staff, including movie studios. We has a few strikes earlier in the year here in Finland and several worker's unions eventually settled for less than they were asking for. The WGA might have to pick carefully on which item or items matter the most to them and focus on getting a deal those.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The way Artificial Intelligence in writing and other creative endeavors will be handled is going to be very interesting going forward. The impact this technology will have on our culture is going to be potentially massive.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
The way Artificial Intelligence in writing and other creative endeavors will be handled is going to be very interesting going forward. The impact this technology will have on our culture is going to be potentially massive.
You will see and hear it in post first. No more ADR, captioning, and Assistant Editors will be less valuable because the machine can log and stem the footage on its own. Edit time will be cut down as the basic cuts and coverage can be automatic and they can go right to comparing takes and adjusting for beats. The building part of VFX will be greatly simplified too. I don't think the editors/IATSE have as good of a standing to bargain against it, plus their contract phasing will be behind the times with regard to AI.

I think writers will be aided by it and the WGA will get some concessions to protect themselves. Sure AI can write, but it still will need people to do the finery at least for the near term. So it is more of an idea generator in that sense. Yes, many shows are pitched with only a logline or outline and greenlit without a script, but they must have a creative package that can execute. They need an experienced producing team and writing showrunner and a star attached. They will still get paid to deliver scripts and execute the show.

That said many streamers now will, (instead of ordering a pilot or going straight to series) approve a "mini writers room" to write the scripts and then greenlight the series going forward based on what comes out of that. If the WGA gets good protections there (minimum staffing, premium rates) I think they will be satisfied.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
You will see and hear it in post first. No more ADR, captioning, and Assistant Editors will be less valuable because the machine can log and stem the footage on its own. Edit time will be cut down as the basic cuts and coverage can be automatic and they can go right to comparing takes and adjusting for beats. The building part of VFX will be greatly simplified too. I don't think the editors/IATSE have as good of a standing to bargain against it, plus their contract phasing will be behind the times with regard to AI.

I think writers will be aided by it and the WGA will get some concessions to protect themselves. Sure AI can write, but it still will need people to do the finery at least for the near term. So it is more of an idea generator in that sense. Yes, many shows are pitched with only a logline or outline and greenlit without a script, but they must have a creative package that can execute. They need an experienced producing team and writing showrunner and a star attached. They will still get paid to deliver scripts and execute the show.

That said many streamers now will, (instead of ordering a pilot or going straight to series) approve a "mini writers room" to write the scripts and then greenlight the series going forward based on what comes out of that. If the WGA gets good protections there (minimum staffing, premium rates) I think they will be satisfied.
Good points and yes I agree that initial concepts will be generated from AI tech. The cream of the crop will be written by humans of course but the mass produced, lowest common denominator content will generated by AI in the next decade.

The world will need to come to grips that while AGI will not be here for many many decades, if ever, soon anything that can be automated will be automated. Software will be fast and powerful enough to handle many of our repetitive and low-creative tasks.

Fret not, as so much of entertainment media these days is low effort, LCD appealing anyway.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Authorization is just the members giving the negotiating team leverage. I think the presumption was all along that the AMPTP would have to open negotiations with all 3 guilds before anything happened, since they all will ask for bites from the same apple. Their demands will eventually be used to moderate against each other.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I count 58 shows, movies and specials that will no longer be available to stream, likely because they're unpopular and it's in Disney's interests to just take them down to avoid paying residuals for them. It's easy to say "just pay the writers," but this is what can happen when they're entitled to payments down the road. I'd like to see the writers simply paid up front so that the studios can be free to stream their own content without worrying about paying others for the privilege. That would help ensure consumer access to content because studios like Disney would just put up and keep up everything that they've ever made.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I count 58 shows, movies and specials that will no longer be available to stream, likely because they were flops and it's in Disney's interests to take them down to avoid paying residuals for them. It's easy to say "just pay the writers," but we'll likely see more of this if the writers get what they want. I'd like to see the writers simply paid up front so that the studios can stream their own content without worrying about paying anyone else for the privilege. That would help ensure access to content because studios like Disney would just put up and keep up every bit of content that they've ever made.
Deadline's story predicting this and other content purges: The Streaming Purge: Behind The Wave Of Library Content Removals & Its Impact On The Creative Community

Reactions: Osprey

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Considering 90% of everything I've watched lately has had dogshit writing I can't say I'm sympathetic to the cause here.
Perhaps I'm being too harsh, but if the writers of Titans (HBO Max) never work again, the entertainment industry will not lose anything.

Reactions: Vaheh

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Considering 90% of everything I've watched lately has had dogshit writing I can't say I'm sympathetic to the cause here.
Just too many outlets, too much content, and not enough people or subscribers to support it. Not only are they pulling titles, but the budgets for shows are dropping too. It will get worse before it gets better, if it does at all.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Should be interesting if one of the big 5 networks tries to import a UK show that falls outside the rules of the writers guild of America.

Looks like the strike is affecting many movies that are in production. But UK TV filming is chugging along.

The UK writers guild has said they will expelled any members who works on either TV or movie that falls under the USA writers guild umbrella

Most UK and Ireland filmed TV and movie falls outside these rules as they are filmed with local airing planned.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Just too many outlets, too much content, and not enough people or subscribers to support it. Not only are they pulling titles, but the budgets for shows are dropping too. It will get worse before it gets better, if it does at all.
Not to mention you have these companies giving sooooooo much money to everything else required for a show minus the writing. All you need to look at for that is that new LOTR show. They paid sooo much money for it, yet IIRC the writers were practically brand new...If you cheap out on that youre going to have a hollow show.

Reactions: PeteWorrell
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad