GDT: Wrestlemania 40

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
If Roman Reigns is about to be written off for a well-deserve rest, then I believe the WWE is going to struggle with keeping Bloodline relevant (see, the New Day after Big E's injury). Sure, The Rock will help and yeah, if Jacob Fatu is indeed signed, that will also help but the perception of Bloodline would be a semi-retired Rock and three mid card talents and not actual threats. They would have to start building up Jimmy and Solo because without Roman, I could the brothers stalling out.

Cool to see Priest winning the title. Priest/Drew would be a really fun battle of athletic big men. With that said, with Dom spending more time with LDF, Balor likely to rekindle issues with Priest, I'm going to say JD could be heading for a break up.
Rock is leaving too lol.

I would anticipate that much of the next year, when Roman is there, is building toward Roman vs. Rock.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Did anyone else get worked hard when Drew got in Punks face? They have done such a great job with Punk/Seth/Drew in blurring the line of work v shoot. Full credit to creative, and those three guys for putting it all together. I thought that was one of the best moments of the weekend

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Now that the belt is off Roman, he can just wrestle a few times a year and have good matches with interesting people trying to knock him off. You know, like the Undertaker was.

That he can do that without hogging the belt now is great. I'm all for just calling it the WWE Championship again.

The style of matches Roman had, and Brock before him had were good, but kind of exhausting. I really hope they shift back to the title just being defended in matches where it doesn't take 17 finishers to win.

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
Did anyone else get worked hard when Drew got in Punks face? They have done such a great job with Punk/Seth/Drew in blurring the line of work v shoot. Full credit to creative, and those three guys for putting it all together. I thought that was one of the best moments of the weekend
Drew has nobody to blame for losing his title but himself. His own hubris cost it, and it was absolute f***ing cinema.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Undertaker returned?!?!? Is he actually back to wrestle the Rock at Summerslam now or this was just a quick appearance?

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Undertaker returned?!?!? Is he actually back to wrestle the Rock at Summerslam now or this was just a quick appearance?
Pretty sure homie got a lifetime contract. It was just a one time thing, cuz he’s basically on-call for the rest of his life

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I do wanna see unhinged Reigns trying to hold it all together while tryingbgto get the belt back before he takes a big leave till Mania season.

Would love to see a few more appearances from The Rock as well before he starts filming. I'm gonna miss heel Rock. He had me tuning in weekly

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
What's crazy is, if they really want to (And I'm not saying they'd load one card like this) the SS card could be:

Cody vs. Rock for the belt.
Drew vs. Punk
Gunther vs. Brock (Obviously this is the big question mark... The rest of those matches are inevitable)
Knight vs. Paul

That card is juiced to the gills without Roman or Seth and before even booking Rhea. I actually expect that they wouldn't load it like that, though. Those first three are big PPV main events on their own.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
What's crazy is, if they really want to (And I'm not saying they'd load one card like this) the SS card could be:

Cody vs. Rock for the belt.
Drew vs. Punk
Gunther vs. Brock (Obviously this is the big question mark... The rest of those matches are inevitable)
Knight vs. Paul

That card is juiced to the gills without Roman or Seth and before even booking Rhea. I actually expect that they wouldn't load it like that, though. Those first three are big PPV main events on their own.
Logan Paul vs. Cody most likely

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I thought Night 1's show was solid and they surpassed it with Night 2 IMO.

Loved the Priest cash in. Right time, right place to make it feel like a big moment. One of the best cash-ins of all-time, right up there with Rollins at '31 and Edge's original cash-in. Fitting for the Judgement Day to walk out of WM with Raw Men's and Women's gold. They were the focal point of Raw this past year. Many times often closing the TV show and headlining Survivor Series. They slide into the background a bit during the run-up to WM good to see they'll continue to be a big part of the product.

I liked the "ECW match" with Lashley/Profit vs. Final Testament. Crazy it was Paul Ellering's first WM. Nice throwbacks with Bubba Dudley and the tables. That being said, Final Testament just feels like Judgement Day without the purple lighting. If there is one true knock on Triple H booking is he leans into the dark, brooding characters and gimmicks a little bit too much.

Nice moment for Paul Heyman. I'd love to know what was going through his head standing middle of center stage at the 40th Anniversary of Wrestlemania in Philadelphia, clutching the WWE Championship, while the ECW theme music plays in the background.

I figured with "Bloodline Rules" the main event was going to be a big cluster%$#% and I was not disappointed. Lots of cameos and surprise appearances. I'll freely admit, I was hoping to hear the glass break when Rock got involved but I'm OK with it being the Undertaker, the true "Final Boss" of the WWE. Especially given it's Wrestlemania and how closely Undertaker is associated with WM. Did they pitch the spot to Austin and he turned it down? We'll probably never know. The biggest surprise for me was how little Rock was involved in Night 2. His appearance is very brief but I also expect Rock to be around a fair bit this next year. I'd say we'll get Rock vs. Roman next year at '41 (heel Rock vs. babyface Roman perhaps?) as the Bloodline disintegrates between now and then.

Will be interesting to see where they take the two men's world championships going forward. Does Cody make the jump to Smackdown? Is Priest ready to be a top guy on Raw?

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Will be interesting to see where they take the two men's world championships going forward. Does Cody make the jump to Smackdown? Is Priest ready to be a top guy on Raw?

I wouldn't be surprised if Cody does double duty until they "Draft" him.

Putting a heel champ on RAW who isn't necessarily a solidified main event guy, all while losing your top two babyfaces (Cody to SD, Seth to injury/rest) would probably not be good, especially for a three hour show.

Honestly, I think they're walking a very fine line to keep Drew heel, which gets even harder to walk if he doesn't have strong babyfaces to butt heads with.

Reactions: BruinDust

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
At Summer Slam?

They'd have to get he belt off Logan quickly and progress him into a program with Cody quickly. Triple H doesn't seem to rush things.
Paul Levesque I’m sure knows how he’s getting there now that Dwayne knows to leave him the f*** alone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad