GDT: Wrestlemania 40

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Man, not securing Austin for a cameo was a generational miss.
I thought he was going to be in Takers spot.

In fact, I owe my buddy a case of beer because I was so convinced Austin would come. I told him if I called it to a tee I would get double.

I got it all correct up until Taker :laugh:

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Man, not securing Austin for a cameo was a generational miss.

At least on this board

I don't really see it being mentioned anywhere else. The story was about Cody and Roman, and Cody finished his story, every one here was just fed a $500 prime cut steak, and all anyone can do is bitch about the asparagus being a little too salty on the side

Reactions: Jussi

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
At least on this board

I don't really see it being mentioned anywhere else. The story was about Cody and Roman, and Cody finished his story, every one here was just fed a $500 prime cut steak, and all anyone can do is bitch about the asparagus being a little too salty on the side

End of day it worked. Taker got a gigantic pop, and they still did huge business by every metric available.

If he turned it down because he didn't want to overshadow Cody, he honestly might have had a point.

It's not hard to construct a storyline reason for Taker. Can just say he is the final boss of Mania. Roman is the only person they acknowledge beating him at Mania since Brock is now redacted, so he got involved.

Doesn't need to make perfect sense. It's just meant to be some overbooked fun

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
I really enjoyed the main event. Like some others have said, I expected to hear some glass shattering after the Rock came in and took out Cena. The place would have absolutely exploded. The Rock taking a stunner and having his legs bounce off the ropes in a hilarious way would have been top tier.

That being said, that may have overshadowed Cody's win in the end. Taker got huge pop, imagine how astronomical Stone Cold's pop would have been.

Anyway, it was a great main event. I'm intrigued to see where the storyline goes from here.

Reactions: TheShape

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I really enjoyed the main event. Like some others have said, I expected to hear some glass shattering after the Rock came in and took out Cena. The place would have absolutely exploded. The Rock taking a stunner and having his legs bounce off the ropes in a hilarious way would have been top tier.

That being said, that may have overshadowed Cody's win in the end. Taker got huge pop, imagine how astronomical Stone Cold's pop would have been.

Anyway, it was a great main event. I'm intrigued to see where the storyline goes from here.
If The Rock and Cody is planned for Rumble or Mania next year, Austin being involved there instead of this year, would make more sense.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I missed most of night one beside the Main Event, which was meh, but I got to see The Rock win, so that was good. (Need to go back and watch Sami/WALTER heard it was great)

Night 2 was meh at best until the main event. It was overbooked non-sense but I loved every minute of it and was sports entertained (disappointed no Austin though), even though everyone knew Cody was winning.

I wound up going to Raw and it was an ok show. I'm glad they did the opening segment they did instead of just having Cody go out their and drone on about his family for 30 minutes (not that the video package wasn't corny, but I just scrolled twitter during that aha). Was expecting a Tama Tonga and/or Jacob Fatu debut, but only got a Dragunov call up.

As for Cody, while hiss promos are cringe and he's still an absolute nerd, this was still well deserved and a good story told. Happy for him.

Hope they don't make the 'mistake' of making him into Super Cena 2.0. The fans, especially older ones will turn on him just the same. I'm already turned because I watched him do the same boring, eye roll crap in AEW for 4 years too. In WWE it's at least still fresh.

Last edited:
Reactions: MAHJ71 and DaaaaB's

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
My favorite is Cody being an absolute bitch pushover when the Rock asked to hold his title. Sure buddy, it's not like he didn't beat you senseless, call down your family, and try to screw you out of your match before, and during. But yeah, you can just hold the title I've worked my ass off for.

Just stupid shit like that makes Cody look like a bigger nerd than he already is.

Reactions: dahrougem2

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
My favorite is Cody being an absolute bitch pushover when the Rock asked to hold his title. Sure buddy, it's not like he didn't beat you senseless, call down your family, and try to screw you out of your match before, and during. But yeah, you can just hold the title I've worked my ass off for.

Just stupid shit like that makes Cody look like a bigger nerd than he already is.

I saw footage from years back where The Rock is in the ring and a young Cody (with a mustache) came up to ringside and asked if he could take a look at the new WWE championship that was on display in the center of the ring.

Maybe this was a callback to that point in time with the roles reversed?

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

It was super awkward. Sometimes the best solution is the most straight forward. Would have made much more sense for Cody to look at the title and say "Sure, you can hold this title..." then raise it up over his head, "if you ever manage to earn it again."

Done. Crowd pops. Builds to a future Rock v Cody match. Most importantly, they don't cuck out their fresh champion.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009

I just can’t believe anything he does lol. My biggest question is what the f*** is going to talk about now after talking about “my story” for 2 damn years lol.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Austin and WWE couldn't reach a financial agreement (WON).

Sounds like Austin probably threw out a big number as he's probably content to not do it and WWE passed.

Alot of people were working themselves into expecting it, when it seems Austin didn't really wanna do it. Gotta think he wouldn't have asked for somthing too crazy if he actually wanted to give Rock one last stunner. He's probably just happy on his farm, but would have said yes for a big overpayment

Reactions: TheShape

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Austin and WWE couldn't reach a financial agreement (WON).

Sounds like Austin probably threw out a big number as he's probably content to not do it and WWE passed.

Alot of people were working themselves into expecting it, when it seems Austin didn't really wanna do it. Gotta think he wouldn't have asked for somthing too crazy if he actually wanted to give Rock one last stunner. He's probably just happy on his farm, but would have said yes for a big overpayment

but it was on the trailer, it was all right there. I think there is some conspiracy going on here, maybe the illuminati are involved

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
cody vs the rock vs The Pacifier, Vin Diesel emerges in the WWE and continues his beef with The Rock until we get a wrestlemania 3 way

and then Steve Austin interferes, but it really should have been Jason Statham's spot, and everybody argues about how Austin makes no sense with regards to Vin Diesel

• Haha
Reactions: CDJ

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Roman beat both Cena and Taker. Austin has nothing to do with this story

But that part of the story wasn't about Roman, it was about Rock, and stopping him.

Austin would 100% have been the best option to stop Rock, based on their history.

I didnt mind Taker, i think it worked, in large part because of the gong/lights out. It was shocking and timing worked great.

But Austin probably would have been even better

Apparently it was a financial issue w/ Austin that was the reason that he wasn't in that spot.

I suspect it's more creative than money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad