Post-Game Talk: Wrapup : LA @ DET 4/24/13

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
best game of the year. pavs, z, howie my three stars... the three we need. big ups to eaves today, dude was a monster. nyquist as well, would've been first star but couldn't actually get any points on the board.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Tootoo seems the most underutilized guy on the team. Besides the physical aspect of his game the guy actually is a pretty good skills player. Another Babs move that just makes me scratch my head

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Definately Eaves>Miller. Wouldn't bother me if we let Miller go. Also Cleary.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Abby was OK for a grinder on a grind line.

At the end of the day, that's where he should be played. Third or fourth line. But recently I've seen him as the "go get the puck and get it Datsyuk" role and while he's at it, lay some hits. He destabilising the opposition and taking some of the attention away from Z and D. I obviously don't want him to play there permanently, but Datsyuk seems to like him on his line since he brings the grit and forechecking ability that he can thrive on.

On Datsyuk's goal yesterday, Abby went to the corners and fought for the puck and he's done it well lately. He should be given credit for that. He's not a skilled, playmaker or goalscorer, just a hard-working linemate. I'd prefer having a Nyquist, Tatar, etc. on the top line, but we have a bit of depth to work with lately and it's been successful.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
At the end of the day, that's where he should be played. Third or fourth line. But recently I've seen him as the "go get the puck and get it Datsyuk" role and while he's at it, lay some hits. He destabilising the opposition and taking some of the attention away from Z and D. I obviously don't want him to play there permanently, but Datsyuk seems to like him on his line since he brings the grit and forechecking ability that he can thrive on.

On Datsyuk's goal yesterday, Abby went to the corners and fought for the puck and he's done it well lately. He should be given credit for that. He's not a skilled, playmaker or goalscorer, just a hard-working linemate. I'd prefer having a Nyquist, Tatar, etc. on the top line, but we have a bit of depth to work with lately and it's been successful.

Abdelkader obviously hasn't shown consistent offensive abilities, but he's been creating a lot of space for Datsyuk and Z recently. He's created havoc at the front of the net and gotten under the opposing players skin.

I agree that in a perfect world he isn't on the top line, but for the time being he's been effective in his role.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
personally I like Abby fine as 4th liner. We have been using him wrong

RedWingsNow*

Abdelkader obviously hasn't shown consistent offensive abilities, but he's been creating a lot of space for Datsyuk and Z recently. He's created havoc at the front of the net and gotten under the opposing players skin.

I agree that in a perfect world he isn't on the top line, but for the time being he's been effective in his role.

He's ********* in his role.

You think he's an effective first liner?:laugh:

RedWingsNow*

Abdelkader costs more scoring opportunities than he creates. And that's why I'm opposed to him there.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Players don't decide which lines they play on. Abby is a very good 4th line player (as is Tootoo), and having him on the first line with Dats/Z is annoying.

However, given that his role on that line seems to be 1) create space 2) make some hits 3) be aggressive on the forecheck and 4) plop his ass in front of the net and bother the opposing goalie - he's been doing those things fairly well.

This is a Babcock coaching decision/Holland roster decision we should be criticizing, not the player.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
He's ********* in his role.

You think he's an effective first liner?:laugh:

I didn't say he was an effective first liner, I said lately he's been effective in his role. Which is to create space with his hits and go to the net. Truth be told, if Datsyuk buries even 1/3rd of his chances he's had lately, we probably would've won a few more games.

I'm not blaming him for any losses, he's still be great - but he's had so many glorious chances that haven't even hit the net.

RedWingsNow*

I didn't say he was an effective first liner, I said lately he's been effective in his role. Which is to create space with his hits and go to the net. Truth be told, if Datsyuk buries even 1/3rd of his chances he's had lately, we probably would've won a few more games.

I'm not blaming him for any losses, he's still be great - but he's had so many glorious chances that haven't even hit the net.

Right.
Deflect the criticism of your boy Babcock's idiotic lines -- on to Datsyuk..

The one guy who has produced for this team all year long.

RedWingsNow*

Players don't decide which lines they play on. Abby is a very good 4th line player (as is Tootoo), and having him on the first line with Dats/Z is annoying.

However, given that his role on that line seems to be 1) create space 2) make some hits 3) be aggressive on the forecheck and 4) plop his ass in front of the net and bother the opposing goalie - he's been doing those things fairly well.

This is a Babcock coaching decision/Holland roster decision we should be criticizing, not the player.

Agreed.
but when fans start saying he's doing a good job in his role, they need to be brought back to reality

TheWestWing

Nov 22, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The past 2 games have literally been the best and most satisfying of this season. Very few mistakes and unless I missed it, not one breakaway against us and HTG that does seem like a first.

Either they're teasing us to no end or they poised for a few more games into May.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Right.

Uh, no. Everyone has seen Datsyuk's point blank opportunities the last few games that he hasn't converted on. Not all players convert on all of their chances, that's not the point. But he could be playing with Bobo the clown and Al Gore and he still should've converted.

None of his missed chances had anything to do with his linemates, they weren't passes they were HIS shots.

Regardless, he came through big last night, just like he normally does. Deflecting Datsyuk's misses on linemates is a cop out, just like if I completely ignored his linemates would be a cop out. I've never 'liked' Abdelkader there, but there's nothing I can do about that, so I assess his performances while he is playing there instead of harping on him for the entire teams shortcomings.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Right.

You missed, or chose to ignore, this line:

Heaton isn't criticizing Datsyuk. It's not criticizing to say that if he buried more chances, we'd have had more opportunities to win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad