Post-Game Talk: Wrapup : Game 7 DET @ ANH

JBauerly97

Jan 8, 2013
Coldwater, MI
Ducks definitely have a leadership issue - their best players always loose focus when the game isn't going their way.

I noticed this too. Was it a game towards the end of the season where the Ducks got a tripping penalty with like a minute to go and Perry, Selanne and Getz all got 10s? Losing it like that can't help your team.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I noticed this too. Was it a game towards the end of the season where the Ducks got a tripping penalty with like a minute to go and Perry, Selanne and Getz all got 10s? Losing it like that can't help your team.

Yeah, that was the Ducks. That's not a way to help your team, which is one reason we've had so much success, IMO. Our leaders generally stay fairly level-headed.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Just learned this last night: During our playoff streak we've never lost back-to-back in the 1st round in consecutive years.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
The Wings' mental toughness in this series really impressed the hell out of me. Especially Z. Of course, he's always been a tremendous character guy, but this series and this season's playoff push, there really has been something tangible regarding his leadership. It has been really fun to watch.

This team is also much better without Emmerton in the lineup, so that was a good move. Wish they'd find a way to get Tootoo back into the game, especially early in the series against Chicago.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The Wings' mental toughness in this series really impressed the hell out of me. Especially Z. Of course, he's always been a tremendous character guy, but this series and this season's playoff push, there really has been something tangible regarding his leadership. It has been really fun to watch.

This team is also much better without Emmerton in the lineup, so that was a good move. Wish they'd find a way to get Tootoo back into the game, especially early in the series against Chicago.

You take Emmerton out in a game seven because you can empty the tank and double shift all the natural centers. You don't do that for a whole series it will absolutely wear the team down.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Ducks definitely have a leadership issue - their best players always loose focus when the game isn't going their way.

Getzlaf is a solid captain...he produced unlike Perry. Perry is a tough SOB but comes off as a mental midget if he's challenged. Datsyuk (and Howard) is in his head.

Hank had a slow start to the series but he and Pavel emerged the best (and most clutch) players in this series. Yimmy eventually won the goalie battle as the series wore on.

Etem was tremendous for the Ducks...he's a top 6 forward for them next year. Selanne is probably done so he's a natural to take over for him. Their team speed was scary and I'm amazed the Wings defense didn't get eaten alive with their pace of play.

Nyquist has bits of Hank and Pavel in his game plus he skates really well...he too has top 6 in his near future. You only keep that third line together just because it works right now. Next year, Helm centers that third line and you put Andersson into a checking/defensive role on the fourth line. Brunner and Nyquist should be playing on scoring lines.

DRWCountryClub

Jun 28, 2010
Getzlaf is a solid captain...he produced unlike Perry. Perry is a tough SOB but comes off as a mental midget if he's challenged. Datsyuk (and Howard) is in his head.

Hank had a slow start to the series but he and Pavel emerged the best (and most clutch) players in this series. Yimmy eventually won the goalie battle as the series wore on.

Etem was tremendous for the Ducks...he's a top 6 forward for them next year. Selanne is probably done so he's a natural to take over for him. Their team speed was scary and I'm amazed the Wings defense didn't get eaten alive with their pace of play.

Nyquist has bits of Hank and Pavel in his game plus he skates really well...he too has top 6 in his near future. You only keep that third line together just because it works right now. Next year, Helm centers that third line and you put Andersson into a checking/defensive role on the fourth line. Brunner and Nyquist should be playing on scoring lines.

Agreed. Nyquist is going to get that puck to start going in the net. He's so much more confident now.

Yeaoh

Jun 14, 2011
Austria
Ducks Fan here in peace to extend an olive branch. Congrats to your victory in the series. You guys played smart and very well. I envy you for your coach, who is IMO the best in the NHL by far.

Good luck going forward, I hope we will meet on a yearly basis in the playoffs from here on out.

we like our team*

i was more worried about etem and palmieri than i was about getzlaf, perry, and ryan this series

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Ducks Fan here in peace to extend an olive branch. Congrats to your victory in the series. You guys played smart and very well. I envy you for your coach, who is IMO the best in the NHL by far.

Good luck going forward, I hope we will meet on a yearly basis in the playoffs from here on out.

I know it's hard trying recover from game 7 loss. Appreciate your effort to come here and post.

Wings had many rivals during their western conference stay. Ducks were without a doubt the most fierce one post lockout. Hopefully both teams meet in playoff down the line again.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Oh and another - the Wings have the most game 7 victories in the history of the NHL with the win last night.
Interesting.

+1. I do not see why Emmerton would play, he brings nothing to the team. I am all for keeping Sammy and Bertuzzi over him. Eaves too. The problem is who Plays center.

Any News on Helm?

Ducksgo*

Z
Howie
Etem - I thought the Ducks were gonna score every time he was on the ice.

As a ducks fan I want to thank you guys for a wonderful series. Glad you guys got past us and not someone else. You fans have been outstanding in our forum so I thought I would share the love. As for Etem? He's a wonderful prospect and I appreciate the kind words. We got something special here boys. Goodluck in Chicago and I hope you knock em out. Have a wonderful evening folks!

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010

What I hate most about Getzlaf is after every single call that goes against the Ducks, no matter how blatant (a huge, obvious trip comes to mind), you can see him running his mouth at the refs and then skate away laughing.

SoCalWings

#FireHolland
Jan 15, 2013
Orange County, CA
What I hate most about Getzlaf is after every single call that goes against the Ducks, no matter how blatant (a huge, obvious trip comes to mind), you can see him running his mouth at the refs and then skate away laughing.

I told my wife I don't even care if we get swept by the Hawks, as long as we beat the Ducks. Here in So Cal, all you can see is the Orange Flags and listening to the ducks annoucers is annoying. Getzlaf, Perry, and Selanne are such poor sports. Did you catch the exchange between Getzlaf and Bert, along with Getzlaf pounding on the glass like a typical Orange County brat?!

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I'm surprised. I swear we had like the worst Game 7 conversion pct of any team.

We could still. The Wings have been going to the playoffs for a long ass time. We could easily have both the most Game 7 wins and losses simply because we've been in so many game 7's.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
We could still. The Wings have been going to the playoffs for a long ass time. We could easily have both the most Game 7 wins and losses simply because we've been in so many game 7's.

14 wins, 9 losses for the Red Wings.

Montreal: 13-9
Toronto: 12-10
Boston: 13-11
NYR: 6-5
Chicago: 5-5
Edmonton: 6-3
NYI: 3-4
Washington: 3-9
Buffalo: 1-6
Philadelphia: 9-6
St. Louis: 6-8
Vancouver: 6-5
Los Angeles: 3-4
Pittsburgh: 7-6
New Jersey: 7-7

Both Ottawa and Phoenix+the original Jets are 0-5, ouch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad