Post-Game Talk: Wrapup : Game 3 CHI @ DET

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
can someone explain to me why the 3rd line only played 9mins? I know Babcock doesn't trust them much and 13 mins is ok, but under 10 is not enough for such a productive and fresh trio...

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
can someone explain to me why the 3rd line only played 9mins? I know Babcock doesn't trust them much and 13 mins is ok, but under 10 is not enough for such a productive and fresh trio...

Special teams game. They don't get a lot of run when the game gets choppy like tonight, especially with the way they divide into special teams. Brunner PP unit #1, Nyquist PP unit #2, Andersson PK #2. No matter what they aren't coming out of either spot right away. Babs has a series of lines he roles right after both a PP or PK before breaking back into the regular lines and rolling back down to them. On the positive side it is part of why those guys are so fresh and generally catch the other team out. Would still like them to get a little more playing time.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
You missed newbie Hawks fans then trying to explain the rulebook, or you saw it same thread but it was hilarious. One of them actually argued he had been playing for 20 years and no matter what the puck had to cross first, not understanding offside rules.

I bet he HAS been playing for 20 years. I play in 3 hockey leagues in Chicago. I've had the argument numerous times, with people of all ages and experience levels, including refs, about the offsides rule and crossing the line before the puck while being in control. Once I was arguing with 7 or 8 people at once. Most people here don't understand it, or are ignorant of it. I don't remember ever having the argument when I played in the Detroit area.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
This is like bizarro world.

- The Hawks put up 40 shots and score one goal. Their fans are crediting Howard's spectacular play. While he was really good, I'd argue that it's because the Hawks are playing soft hockey and not getting bodies in front of the net. Sound familiar?
agree

chicago needs to be more aggressive. they should be able to forecheck and exploit the d-men.

- The Wings actually benefit from a goalie interference call. Horrible call, but I don't feel bad at all considering the Kane goal never should've happened.
i didn't have a problem with the non-call on hjalmarsson. looked like he didn't hit franzen very hard and franzen turned just before the hit.

disallowed goal was a bad call, imo, but justifiable. usually not called, though.

in game 2 vs anaheim, palmieri pushed filppula into howard as getzlaf was shooting. cogliano was in the crease when ryan scored to tie the game. but i didn't think that was a bad non-call.

- Speaking of Kane, I can't stand the guy. Tremendous skill, but I take Datsyuk and Zetterberg any day of the week over that chotch.
kane is one of the most annoying players in the league, imo.

- The Wings are clearly trying to get Toews off his game and it's working. Reminds me of this thread I posted earlier in the season. I'm tired of the "intangibles" garbage. "Intangibles" is code word for Canadian. End of story. Datsyuk and Zetterberg are both better.
toews is having some bad luck with his shot, and it's smart to try to make him more frustrated. ericsson especially has been trying to annoy him.

i thought toews played well though. had several good chances around the net.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Best was Howard, Nyquist and Datsuyk, but I casted a vote on Cola, thought he did a solid job.

On the plus side, the Hawks actually look beatable.

On the minus side, gotta figure out how to score on the PP.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
An excellent all-around effort by the Wings. Great game from the 3rd line (gotta be the best 3rd line in NHL), I wish Babcock played them more, but I understand the need for Dats and Zett eating huge minutes against Toews and Kane. Usual magic from Datsyuk ("do something!" :yo:) and Howard, and Zett did his part. I swear: somebody looked at Cleary funny, and he fell. Yet again he got up and got engaged in a battle. He is a man possessed. Loved the M-E-E line. Keep it.

Terrible officiating, which, luckily, played out evenly. Chicago got all the calls in the first half, Detroit in the second (other than the Franzen non-call, but the non-goal cancelled that).

Brutal defense again. The only men who didn't make glaring errors were Kronwall, Cola, and oddly enough Quincy. Kindl had some rough moments in the beginning, but he got better. Smith... :shakehead he is seriously the worst defenseman I've ever seen in Wings uniform. He is worse than Lebda, Lilja, and is generally on Lashoff's level.

It's incredible how the team improves from game to game. Especially in confidence. Forwards backcheck a lot, and, all in all, this looks more like "total hockey" than any other system. Something's gotta be done about that PP.

Chicago blows. They should have walked away with this series, given our D, yet they find themselves chasing the puck and REALLY resembling first round's Anaheim.

Keep it going!

Last edited:

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
You know Eaves and Miller deserve a star. I also voted for Howard. Great saves.

I cannot believe the job Miller and Eaves did on the PK for us. Incredible. How many minutes was it? And then to score?! Insane.
Those 2 were huge. One of them or both deserve to be a star
Gustav Nyuqist is a future star. What an incredible goal. Love the third line, so much energy.

Eaves and Miller were spectacular tonight, great on the PK, blocking shots, skati hard. Both deserves huge credit.

Datsyuk's goal was an unbelievable snipe. As Cleary said, a real back breaker for Chicago.

Abdelkader was good, Filppula had maybe his best post season game, he was particularly strong on the forecheck.

Defense was pretty solid outside a couple of meltdowns. CC was rock solid, Quincey is quirky doing his job,

Kindl had a bad blue early but recovered extremely well and had a solid game finishing +2. He looks great offensively and keeping the puck in, becoming real strong in the corners.

And Jimmy Howard, stellar. What a game.
Good Points.
Howard was great until the 3rd.
Problem now is that because they called some of the late goonery, the Wings actually ended up with more PPs in this one. So the whining will get even worse.
True
Howard. Jeeeeez man. He's just doing what he's done all year. Keep us close when it's tight till the Wings can pull away. If he were just better at puck handling he'd be an elite goalie.

The PK units. Way to work. Hawks barely got anything going all game.

CC > Lashoff. Not even close.

NYQUISSSSST. I am so sad that he spent the first half of the season in GR. What a waste. He could have been developing the whole time in the NHL. He's only gotten better with every game. His first few games he was very tentative. Overhandling, mishandling. Look at how much more confident he is now. And stronger too, and takeaways. Wasted the first half. Too bad. But he's here now, so that's good.

So you say it's not worth your time, then you call people who don't agree with you, "trolls".

Good job, buddy.

Congratulations to you guys! You deserved the win, unfortunately.
Thank you man.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Say what you will, that goal should have counted.

The Wings caught some breaks in this game, and Chicago caught one on the no-call on Franzen (although, I personally think he embellished the hit, which is probably why the refs let it slide).

Not trying to discredit the Wings, it was a good overall effort and I'm thrilled to see them pull it off, but I think they're going to have to be even better if they want to pull off the upset.
Maybe Franzen embellished, but I am not sure. The problem there was that the Wings players stopped playing and the Hawks scored.
It's amazing the bias difference between CBC and NBC. CBC spent most of the post game show talking about the Datsyuk goal. NBC (aka Blackhawks network) did nothing but complain about the hawks no goal
I do not know which network I watched but they were downplaying D's goal saying it hit the Dman's stick and tricked Crawford. I am not so sure. It looked like the Perfect shot.
Thoughts in rapid succession:

-This game was won by Howard and the PK before the Nyquist goal. Gutsy work by Miller, Eaves and Jimmy to stonewall the Hawks before the Wings got momentum.

-Hawks 3rd Pair of Oduya-Rozsival got exposed a bit tonight. I can't be the only one who noticed Datsyuk was out there a lot against them (Babcock +matchups)

-Wings are battling really, really hard. They are generating turnovers the Hawks haven't been coughing up. That said, Chicago came early and hard and hit a few posts. This was a close game that easily could have gone the other way. Jimmy has been a difference maker.

-I expect the Wings will need to play their best game of the season to win on Thursday.

-The no goal call on goalie interference was bad. I think it was an even trade off.

-Quincey is also to blame for the Kane goal. Jumping for the puck was an unnecessary risk that gave 88 the breakaway. Solid game for him otherwise.

Quincey was terrible on that goal
Good point about Our PK, they were fantastic, Miller and Eaves.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
An excellent all-around effort by the Wings. Great game from the 3rd line (gotta be the best 3rd line in NHL), I wish Babcock played them more, but I understand the need for Dats and Zett eating huge minutes against Toews and Kane. Usual magic from Datsyuk ("do something!" :yo:) and Howard, and Zett did his part. I swear: somebody looked at Cleary funny, and he fell. Yet again he got up and got engaged in a battle. He is a man possessed. Loved the M-E-E line. Keep it.

Terrible officiating, which, luckily, played out evenly. Chicago got all the calls in the first half, Detroit in the second (other than the Franzen non-call, but the non-goal cancelled that).

Brutal defense again. The only men who didn't make glaring errors were Kronwall, Cola, and oddly enough Quincy. Kindl had some rough moments in the beginning, but he got better. Smith... :shakehead he is seriously the worst defenseman I've ever seen in Wings uniform. He is worse than Lebda, Lilja, and is generally on Lashoff's level.

It's incredible how the team improves from game to game. Especially in confidence. Forwards backcheck a lot, and, all in all, this looks more like "total hockey" than any other system. Something's gotta be done about that PP.

Chicago blows. They should have walked away with this series, given our D, yet they find themselves chasing the puck and REALLY resembling first round's Anaheim.

Keep it going!

It was Quiney's mistake Kane scored.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
1. Miller. GWG and huge on great PK
2. Nyquist, we needed the 1st goal to get it going and he almost made it all on his own.
3. Datsyuk, that goal was Perfect and it was the backbreaker.

And what is with these 3rd periods meltdowns? I unfortunately feel it is Howard. He was excellent through 2 periods and then 2 leaky goals.
The Kane goal was Quincey's mistake, but Howard could have stopped it.
The no-goal was a very bad angle and it went in.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I was laughing reading the post. The noob hawk fans crack me up. They feel like they are entitled to winning a cup, and the other teams should just roll over on their stomachs and take it like a man with some lube. Maybe they should watch hockey and understand how playoff hockey works. I guess it doesn't help when your captain whines to the media because Zetterberg was too much for him to handle in game 2. I love the Wings and I understand this serious is far from over, but the CHITOWN sitdown fanbase is ridiculous. The fans forget the Redwings played 22 years straight of playoff hockey and we know how to play. We have some disappointments over the years, and we understand the curse of the presidents trophy. The fans are ludicrous blaming the refs and dirty play of Detroit. Howard is winning games for us and it is nice to see DET have a goalie that steals some games. Lets hope our team continues to win and Babcock is right about Pavel's future. NYQUIST putting Chicago to sleep last night as epic.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26480

Goals should be disallowed only if: (1) an attacking player, either by his positioning or by contact, impairs the goalkeeper’s ability to move freely within his crease or defend his goal; or

The key Word is positioning. And the Hawks player was real deep in the crease thus impairing Howard to make the save.

So that's Clear now

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
You know Eaves and Miller deserve a star. I also voted for Howard. Great saves.

I cannot believe the job Miller and Eaves did on the PK for us. Incredible. How many minutes was it? And then to score?! Insane.

Absolutely. And Fils had a great game, thought Cola played very well. Too many solid efforts last night, even Andersson played very well.

Cbdudek

May 15, 2013
Grand Rapids, MI
www.nightfall.net
Must win Thursday.

Game 4 really does sound like a "must win" game for both teams. Chicago wins and they get home ice advantage back and the momentum for game 5. Wings win and they take a 3-1 series lead and should clinch the series unless they have a monumental breakdown.

Overall though, I would say this is a bigger must win game for Chicago. Going down 3-1 would be very tough to come back from. The Wings could still win a best of 3 series like they did against Anaheim.

JBauerly97

Jan 8, 2013
Coldwater, MI
Couldn't disagree more. The refs couldn't have handled that situation better. Chicago telegraphed their goonery and the refs kept it in check. Keith slides the net at Cleary, refs take note, catch him throwing a punch disguised as a hit. Bickell chases Cleary around all period, refs take note, catch him on cross-checks. Shaw goes full bath salts, misconduct.

What more could you have asked for? The refs made sure the two most imbalanced players were off the ice before the inevitable end of game scrum.

And the linesman wrapped Shaw up before he could go totally whacko on a Red Wing at the end. I thought they managed it well also.

It's just frustrating when teams resort to that kind of crap at the end of a game and nothing happens. I remember quite a few years back against Calgary when they put their backup goalie in and he chopped Franzen and I think that same game Iginla butted or speared Schneider.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
yeah wings have to outcompete and keep applying pressure but can't get involved in that shenanigans. Just have to be focused on the tasks

Hawks have way too much everything even when we go up 3-1 in series, I dont think it's safe. Actually more dangerous. We had a stacked team in 2009 and were down 2-1 against Ducks. Destroyed them in next 2 games and beat them in game 7.

Hawks can still easily overwhelm us if wings dont bring 110%

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
1. Miller. GWG and huge on great PK
2. Nyquist, we needed the 1st goal to get it going and he almost made it all on his own.
3. Datsyuk, that goal was Perfect and it was the backbreaker.

And what is with these 3rd periods meltdowns? I unfortunately feel it is Howard. He was excellent through 2 periods and then 2 leaky goals.
The Kane goal was Quincey's mistake, but Howard could have stopped it.
The no-goal was a very bad angle and it went in.

The no-goal bounced off Shaw and went in. It wasn't a straight shot that beat him.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Not a fan of Quincey and certainly not a fan of Kane but he makes a lot of Dmen look bad.
I won't complain much about Quincey, cause he has been solid for us, but that goal he beat himself, not Kane. If he Plays safe, there is no goal, cause both he and Smith were right there. He fails to Catch the puck and Kane becomes all alone vs Howard.
yeah wings have to outcompete and keep applying pressure but can't get involved in that shenanigans. Just have to be focused on the tasks

Hawks have way too much everything even when we go up 3-1 in series, I dont think it's safe. Actually more dangerous. We had a stacked team in 2009 and were down 2-1 against Ducks. Destroyed them in next 2 games and beat them in game 7.

Hawks can still easily overwhelm us if wings dont bring 110%
Good point.
This is the 1st time we have the lead in the series in the playoffs.
The no-goal bounced off Shaw and went in. It wasn't a straight shot that beat him.
I could not tell where it hit Shaw, but Shaw was very deep in the crease.
I 1st tought it was a good goal, but as I watched replay and read the rules I agree that the goal should have been negated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad