Confirmed Trade: [WPG/VGK] Cody Eakin for cond. 2021 4th round pick (3rd if Eakin re-signs or WPG makes playoffs)

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Barrie to Vegas Confirmed! lol

But on a serious note, weren't Vegas looking for RD who can move the puck? Or has their thinking changed after acquiring Martinez?

If they want a high end RD the Habs and Knights have recently made a big trade that both teams are very happy with right now, maybe they can connect again on a Petry deal.

I assume Hague is still off limits?

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Man things happen fast.

I remember offering up an idea back in September based around Detroit taking on Eakin's contract and giving back a more affordable and comparable player (IIRC I suggested Helm @ 50% retention) for a slight pick upgrade and got told "no" pretty forcefully.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Joe Thornton to VGK? Ryan Getzlaf? ...

I am trying to think of what they may do here.. keep Glass in the AHL the rest of the season..

just spitballing haha.. dont give me heat!

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Joe Thornton to VGK? Ryan Getzlaf? ...

I am trying to think of what they may do here.. keep Glass in the AHL the rest of the season

Tuch was on LTIR and that was the only way they could fit Martinez. But Tuch will come off LTIR before season ends so they needed room. There's been rumors around Gustafsson.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
This may not be a move to prepare for a trade. I’m sure Vegas can bring Tuch off LTIR now with just AHL send downs.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Man things happen fast.

I remember offering up an idea back in September based around Detroit taking on Eakin's contract and giving back a more affordable and comparable player (IIRC I suggested Helm @ 50% retention) for a slight pick upgrade and got told "no" pretty forcefully.

In September, Eaks had just come off a 22 goal season. Things change, values change.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
In September, Eaks had just come off a 22 goal season. Things change, values change.

And isn't that post saying we would have had to take salary back (defeating the purpose of the trade) and give a pick? That isn't better than this trade.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff Conference Call:

Scrum topics: What made Cody Eakin a good fit to pursue? How important is his versatility (ability to bounce between centre & wing)? Adding an element of grit/moxy. Is there an update on Adam Lowry or was this move made independent of his injury situation? How do the two moves he's made this week impact what he does before Monday's deadline? What is Eakin's take on returning home? What was the timeline of this deal coming together? Using cap space to acquire assets. Making "hockey deals".

To listen click here.

Reactions: hn777

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
If my napkin math is correct, this leaves Vegas with $1.6m in trade deadline room, so up to a $3.2m net influx of cap hits with 50% retention.

Keep in mind, Vegas currently has a 20 man active roster, with Tuch making it 21 when he returns.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I really like this trade.

NHL Vet, good for the 3rd/4th line, adds depth.

I'd say the price is too steep but lots of prices have been steep this year.

Reactions: snowkiddin

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
One of those trades that makes perfect sense for both sides helps both teams. Ya love to see it.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Yes really, they all came via trade and they all were middle 6 centers because Scheifele is the 1C

Ok but two of them were big gambles at a huge price to try to bolster the teams Cup chances.
This move was much smaller and at a much lower price.
The Jets aren't in the same situation and the trade is not in the same range of the other 2.

Yes they traded for a center but for a different reason and they are not really comparable situations.

Reactions: ulf and snowkiddin

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Eakin will be the next Blake Wheeler!

Naw, jk'ing. But I think he can be a solid real Jet and play in the Central well for us.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I feel like Eakin alternates between being good and being awful year to year now. But a solid pickup nonetheless.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
As a Vegas fan it’s been almost a year since I’ve seen this many positive comments about Eakin. I’m used to hearing people complain about him (and that includes myself) and sometimes wondered why he was playing at all.

I would not be surprised to see him go back to being a good player in the future however. But the team could have literally traded him for a bag of chips a few months ago and it would have improved the team. The team has a pretty good record when he isn’t in the lineup and a disappointing record when he plays.

Reactions: hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad