Confirmed Trade: [WPG/VGK] Cody Eakin for cond. 2021 4th round pick (3rd if Eakin re-signs or WPG makes playoffs)

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff Conference Call:

Scrum topics: What made Cody Eakin a good fit to pursue? How important is his versatility (ability to bounce between centre & wing)? Adding an element of grit/moxy. Is there an update on Adam Lowry or was this move made independent of his injury situation? How do the two moves he's made this week impact what he does before Monday's deadline? What is Eakin's take on returning home? What was the timeline of this deal coming together? Using cap space to acquire assets. Making "hockey deals".

To listen click here.

Surprised a few people aren't having a field day with this one.

Reactions: HanSolo

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Anytime anyone says a 4th or a 3rd is too much for anything, I just assume you dont know anything about hockey.
Lol I don't know how he's going to perform in Winnipeg but this is a bad take. Eakin was tying up cap that we just got freed of without cap hit coming back and we got a middle round pick as a cherry on top. He was having a negative impact on the team and his line. The third line was basically the team's dead weight and it was primarily because the puck getting on Eakin's stick almost always meant death to our offensive zone time. He had an uncanny knack to always lose the puck in ways that guaranteed good counterattacks against. For Vegas, we could have given him away for free and it would have been addition by subtraction.

I don't think any Vegas fans think there's some high chance the pick we got will become some great NHL player. Let's put it a different way. Vegas is a team very heavily invested in trying to achieve as much playoff success as possible and they traded this regular roster player without any roster players coming back just before the deadline. That's the kind of player Winnipeg got. A cup dump who was an active deterrent to his team's nightly success. If he works out in Winnipeg, more power to him. He was one of the worst parts of our lineup so yeah, anything more than free is just a bonus for Vegas.

Reactions: hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad