Confirmed with Link: [WPG] Stastny (50% retained) for 2018 1st & Erik Foley

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I suspect that if we fail to replace Stastny with a center that isn't currently on the roster, the Blues next year will most likely me a lottery team again as we will have too many youngsters playing critical roles. I'm thinking the real window opens 2019-2020 for playoff contention.

Unfortunately, I don't see anyone in the UFA pile that really does anything for me as far as a #2 center goes (I'm realistically thinking we won't get Tavares).

Mar 6, 2012
So, I was pretty distracted this weekend with youth hockey stuff... how good of a prospect is Eric Foley? He's a long shot, right? Or has he progressed past his 3rd rounder status?

Reactions: allan5oh

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
So, I was pretty distracted this weekend with youth hockey stuff... how good of a prospect is Eric Foley? He's a long shot, right? Or has he progressed past his 3rd rounder status?

He's now regarded as someone who should make it to the show in a Bot6 role. Speed and netfront presence are two of his better attributes, which any team can use.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
If the price is right I don't think it would be crazy for him to re-sign here if we miss out on Tavares. Steen is his best friend and I'm sure there's a number of guys in the locker room who will be lobbying him to come back to the Blues.

He said in that interview he got a lot of "comforting text messages". I'd venture to guess that some of those were players saying "come back to us this July".

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I suspect that if we fail to replace Stastny with a center that isn't currently on the roster, the Blues next year will most likely me a lottery team again as we will have too many youngsters playing critical roles. I'm thinking the real window opens 2019-2020 for playoff contention.

Unfortunately, I don't see anyone in the UFA pile that really does anything for me as far as a #2 center goes (I'm realistically thinking we won't get Tavares).

I completely understand your concern and I share it, there's a solution beyond UFA though.

We still have all our ammo in terms of prospects so trading for a center from a bottom feeder is a distinct possibility. I don't believe Armstrong would leave us without a quality veteran in that No2 center role and reportedly he tried to target a top 6 player up until yesterday so there's clearly a need recognized by DA. He even mentioned yesterday that he'll be looking for trades at the draft and given his recent track record I don't see that as lip service. He won't force rookie Robert Thomas into that role, he'll find a vet and let Thomas be 3C. It seems he's also after a top 6 winger so while 2 top 6 forwards seems like a mountain to climb right now, he could deal from his strong prospect group and get it done.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
I completely understand your concern and I share it, there's a solution beyond UFA though.

We still have all our ammo in terms of prospects so trading for a center from a bottom feeder is a distinct possibility. I don't believe Armstrong would leave us without a quality veteran in that No2 center role and reportedly he tried to target a top 6 player up until yesterday so there's clearly a need recognized by DA. He even mentioned yesterday that he'll be looking for trades at the draft and given his recent track record I don't see that as lip service. He won't force rookie Robert Thomas into that role, he'll find a vet and let Thomas be 3C. It seems he's also after a top 6 winger so while 2 top 6 forwards seems like a mountain to climb right now, he could deal from his strong prospect group and get it done.
any suggestions? Looking at 50+ pt centers, they are either on a contender who is likely going to continue to be a contender, or they are super young and on a not so contender.

Sure I would love Keller lindholm teravainen trocheck Barkov etc but those guys aren’t getting traded as their teams are mid rebuild/retool.

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Here’s your list

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
any suggestions? Looking at 50+ pt centers, they are either on a contender who is likely going to continue to be a contender, or they are super young and on a not so contender.

Sure I would love Keller lindholm teravainen trocheck Barkov etc but those guys aren’t getting traded as their teams are mid rebuild/retool.

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Here’s your list

ROR is the 1st guy that comes to mind. Expensive vets are the only guys bottom feeders would likely part with so that's the type of player I would focus on 1st.

Reactions: The Note in Ky

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Chevy went out of his way to say that armstrong specifically asked for foley.

Reactions: allan5oh

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
I'll drop this here in case anyone is interested. His first game day skate interview. Comes across as a very classy dude

Thanks. I don't even want to watch it. It hurts to lose Stas (even though I think some type of trade was necessary)...was one of my favorite players.

That said, you are getting a great player and a true professional. I think he will be very productive with Laine. Lots of Blues fans will probably be rooting for the Jets this year.

Reactions: Aavco Cup

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Thanks. I don't even want to watch it. It hurts to lose Stas (even though I think some type of trade was necessary)...was one of my favorite players.

That said, you are getting a great player and a true professional. I think he will be very productive with Laine. Lots of Blues fans will probably be rooting for the Jets this year.

I will say that I always like Erik Foley as a prospect. Amazing wrister plays like a bull too. I don't think he's too far away from being an NHL player

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
ROR is the 1st guy that comes to mind. Expensive vets are the only guys bottom feeders would likely part with so that's the type of player I would focus on 1st.
I like ROR as an option except for two things:

That contract, and he’s 29 so he’s at the top end of our core. I would prefer to move for a 26 and under centerman who is still on his first RFA contract if possible.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I like ROR as an option except for two things:

That contract, and he’s 29 so he’s at the top end of our core. I would prefer to move for a 26 and under centerman who is still on his first RFA contract if possible.

I think the most realistic options would be from TB. Most realistic being Miller, second most Johnson, long shot Point/Gourde. TB is going to need cap space soon as well as they are going to need defensemen. I don't see them keeping Mcdonough past next year. The issue will be is that they are going to be needing right shot defensemen. Maybe Schmaltz fits the bill, maybe he doesn't for them. If they are willing to look into a left shot defensemen I'm sure Dunn fits the bill and maybe Walman does. I'm not sure if they would be willing to consider a deal around the rights to Miller for the rights to Schmaltz and a pick but it doesn't honestly seem all too far fetched if Schmaltz can prove that he is NHL ready the rest of this season. I think we should be hesitant about shipping out Dunn unless we can assure that Walman can play top 4 minutes next year due to LD being a concern for us.

TB could be fine with keeping Miller on for next year and will have the space to do so if they please but that next offseason is going to be a complete nightmare for them in terms of filling in the backend as well as paying Kucherov a hefty raise. I think something that could accomplish both would include Schmaltz and probably a 2nd round pick. Now will someone come in and top that offer? I don't know but I think that would be a pretty competitive offer given TBs needs.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
it's armstrong who made the trades. I'm guessing armstrong requested Foley based on the input from one or more scouts, not his own viewings.
I was refering to Copley. I think Brodeur had the input that pushed for Copley.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I was refering to Copley. I think Brodeur had the input that pushed for Copley.
right I get it. my point is that we have seen that Armstrong parsing input from scouts on prospects into trade value has not been flawless. my example was Copley.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
Didnt the "pro scouts" help bring Schenn on board. They get so much flack for the Oshie trade, just like DA did for years. It was one horrible value move, i think everyone involved realizes this. Im not gonna judge every move they make or immediately assume their opinions on players are forever flawed based on that one move, especially when the main motive behind the move was getting Oshie out of town.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Foley and Soshnikov are the type of players that will look great in the bottom 6. Physical and gritty and play with high energy. Really like what I am hearing and what Ive seen from videos from Foley. Real solid build too. He could be a 6’ 210 LB wrecking ball by the time he is brought up here. He calls himself a power forward. My type of player. Wonder if he can drop the gloves very well?

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011

Not a long shot at all but not a blue chip either. Somewhere on between.

Reactions: larmex99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad