Speculation: WPG NYR

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
The Jets shouldn't give up anything for Tavaras as they can talk to him for free in one weeks time. If you want him make your best pitch during that week and see where the chips land. His agent will more than likely advise against signing with anyone until after everyone has been able to make an offer ala what happened with Stamkos.
I know that the Jets wouldn’t need to trade for Tavares. But they will not have cap space to have him, unless they trade some guys with bigger salaries for picks for example.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I get your point, but that statement seems hyperbolic to me. Both Laine and Ehlers are already multi-dimensional players with strong upside, and Ehlers can already drive a line. I actually think that PoMo's preference for a Sheif/Wheels line, plus the stigma of 1-2-3-4 line hierarchies, forces him to use Laine and Ehlers in some awkward setups. Maybe this year is where we start to see some variety in terms of these options.

I agree with this, I think it’s not that they are hard to build around. I mean they’re 5v5 stats where both very good per 60 minutes(Ehlers’s was surprisingly amazing). I think ideally the best Center for them is that guy who is fast, smart and can forecheck very well. Scheifele is pretty much the perfect match(and that was shown last year, unfortunately Maurice split them up), I think starting now the Jets should try and mold and refine either Roslovic or Vesalainen(I know he’s a Winger but he’s the most talented Forward prospect we got and he’s got all of those traits I mentioned) into that guy. Obviously Little is far and away pretty bad in all those categories and that’s why he and the line looked pretty invisible for most of the games(as soon as Copp and Stastny swapped with them they where much more productive and actually looked dominant inbetween the play). The second issue is the fact they lacked top line 5v5 minutes, I’m hoping next year they decide to trim the 3rd and fourth line minutes and keep the Ehlers/Laine line out there for nearly the same amount as the CSW line so they can show that they can finish more often.

But yeah, this Tavares stuff is unnecessary and unrealistic, Roslovic has very high potential and if he can forecheck a little better he could improve Ehlers and Laine’s numbers and over look of play drastically. I don’t want to over hype him but he looks allot like Datsyuk Imo(the prototypical quick guy with great eye hand coordination and smooth hands), obviously he’s not gonna be as good(unless he magically gets allot better) but could you imagine what a poor mans Datsyuk would look like in between Laine and Ehlers..

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I get your point, but that statement seems hyperbolic to me. Both Laine and Ehlers are already multi-dimensional players with strong upside, and Ehlers can already drive a line. I actually think that PoMo's preference for a Sheif/Wheels line, plus the stigma of 1-2-3-4 line hierarchies, forces him to use Laine and Ehlers in some awkward setups. Maybe this year is where we start to see some variety in terms of these options.
I agree with this but I think it is Scheif's and Wheeler's strong preference to play with each as much as Mo's preference. IMO Scheif also likes to be a triggerman and play off the cycle and Wheeler plays a very strong board and cycle game and gets on the puck fast. Connor then compliments this type of game more so than Laine or Ehlers. At least IMO, I think we will gradually see a shake up in the top line as Laine and Ehlers add more elements to their game beyond quick strikes off the rush.

Luc Labelle

Lucius 895 Injuries
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2005
Winnipeg
An interesting note, our franchise traded the draft pick used to select Kevin Hayes when we acquired Dustin Byfuglien. It was the most valuable piece in the deal for Chicago ( 2010 1st (Kevin Hayes), 2010 2nd (Justin Holl), Marty Reasoner, Joey Crabb and Jeremy Morin for Dustin Byfuglien, Brent Sopel, Ben Eager, and Akim Aliu).

Kevin Hayes completed his senior year in college and signed as a free agent with New York in 2014.

I would not want to lose Roslovic in order to acquire Hayes. I don't see Hayes as a 2nd line center option.

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
I will say the same thing I always say in these threads. It all depends on Trouba. If there is a willingness to take a reasonable long term deal with the Jets, then most of these discussion become moot; there simply isn't the cap space to take on a $5 million contract without significantly remaking the whole roster.

Things get very interesting, however, if Trouba and Overhardt still want to play hardball (my sense is that this is much less the case than two years ago). In that case, I would love to see Chevy get aggressive again and do a sign and trade for a number of parts. In the case of the NYR, for example, it could be Trouba on a new six year deal for Hayes, the #26 OA, and a quality D-prospect

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hayes' salary would likely not be that much less than Stastny, though he's younger and might be a longer term option. But the cost would be quite high. If they would consider something around Myers and a prospect like Petan or a player like Dano, then I'd certainly consider it.

Namestnikov might be a cheaper option, and I think he's a solid player.

Spooner has become a productive player and would likely create some offense with Ehlers and/or Laine, but he struggles defensively. For me, he's not much different from Bozak.

If you want to make things more interesting (assuming Trouba is on the block), then I think the Jets could consider something around Skjei and a 1st (#9, or #26 plus another good piece). It's hard to read the Rangers' players because they've been so poor defensively, but in general I like Skjei's game. It would shift the Jets' strength from RD to LD (with Morrissey and Skjei and Niku).

If Trouba is in the equation I want Chytil and #9.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Something I've suggested before is to dial down the emphasis on a mismatch between Little and Laine. I think Little has as much trouble with Ehlers as anything else. Swap Connor and Ehlers and you give Little a north/south player whose forecheck is solid. Meanwhile, we already know that Ehlers and Scheifele work well together. That way we can leave Fefe and Wheeler together.

Reactions: libertarian

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Can't see the Rangers giving that up, though.

If NYR didn't have so much potential strength down the middle it would be different, but they do. It would depend on how highly they regard a 24 YO 1RHD and maybe on how quickly they want to rebuild. If they are looking at a quick turnaround Trouba would be a premium piece.

I would be willing to add to that - within reason. If NYR aren't willing to pay that much for Trouba we pursue the other options. I think its fair TBH. We are talking a fully developed top pair, still quite young RHD in exchange for a pick and a prospect. Its a high pick and a highly regarded prospect but we are taking all the risk here.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Petan and Dano have next to no trade values much as I love both players.

Myers is one year from UFA and in his late 20's I'm sure the Rangers would be trying to add youth and skill and Myers has neither of those.
Myers has no skill? Where is the 'eyes rolling clean out of my head' emoji.

Your Myers shtick is getting tiresome.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I don't really see a major deal between NYR and Winnipeg as their problem is too many centres, most likely wanting a defenseman back. I really don't think the Jets need to upgrade the C position. We should be looking to strengthen our defense and goaltending. Maybe we make a minor swap F for F (maybe the Rags dump a guy like Namestikov for the promise of Petan?)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad