Speculation: WPG NYR

Whileee

May 29, 2010
https://nypost.com/2018/06/16/inside-the-rangers-makeover-mindset-with-nhl-draft-at-hand/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

Based on the article, I have to wonder if the Jets are exploring this as a viable option if Stastny can't be re-signed. Might be the perfect replacement to put between Ehlers-and-Laine.

What could the Jets realistically give up for him that NYR would accept?
Hayes' salary would likely not be that much less than Stastny, though he's younger and might be a longer term option. But the cost would be quite high. If they would consider something around Myers and a prospect like Petan or a player like Dano, then I'd certainly consider it.

Namestnikov might be a cheaper option, and I think he's a solid player.

Spooner has become a productive player and would likely create some offense with Ehlers and/or Laine, but he struggles defensively. For me, he's not much different from Bozak.

If you want to make things more interesting (assuming Trouba is on the block), then I think the Jets could consider something around Skjei and a 1st (#9, or #26 plus another good piece). It's hard to read the Rangers' players because they've been so poor defensively, but in general I like Skjei's game. It would shift the Jets' strength from RD to LD (with Morrissey and Skjei and Niku).

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Something involving Roslovic maybe? (not that I necessarily want to do that)
As a Rangers fan, Roslovic is certainly an interesting starting point.

I know the Jets have a deep, rich farm system, so ya’ll probably have some guys on the outside looking in who could be good fits on a Rangers squad with plenty of open spots.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
As a Rangers fan, Roslovic is certainly an interesting starting point.

I know the Jets have a deep, rich farm system, so ya’ll probably have some guys on the outside looking in who could be good fits on a Rangers squad with plenty of open spots.
I think Roslovic is going to be a core player for the Jets. They would be very reluctant to part with him. Kevin Hayes seems likely to have a cap hit of around $4.5-5M. I'm not sure the Jets would be able to manage that.

Reactions: nhlpro

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Nope. I might be wrong, but I think Roslovic is going to break out next season into a really valuable and productive F.
This! No way do we trade Roslovic right now.
If he plays all year he will have a fantastic season. If we put him between Ehlers and Laine, look out!

Reactions: Jets88 and nhlpro

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Not really interested in Hayes as has been mentioned we can't afford his next contract. Also no way we give up a promising player with two years left on his ELC for him given our cap crunch.

Reactions: wasup

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
This! No way do we trade Roslovic right now.
If he plays all year he will have a fantastic season. If we put him between Ehlers and Laine, look out!
I wouldn’t really count on that. The more I saw him play this season, the more he looked like a speedy winger grinder to me. I didn’t see much of a center kind of a playmaker in him really. And I’m honestly pretty sure that he is not really the answer as a top class number two centerman that the Jets would truly need. I got in fact quite convinced that he is not that kind of a player, at least yet, and most probably as a center he will not really ever be more than a number three center. I just dont see that great playmaking skills and offensive IQ. He is definitely not bad in those areas, but I just see him pretty average in them.

I just truly believe that an NHL champion team needs most likely two very good scoring lines, and that means that even the second line should have real top class forwards, and that is why centers like Little, Roslovic or even Stastny will most probably not cut it, of the Jets want to seriously have a chance at winning the cup. Also Laine and especially Ehlers need to take a step forwards with their game to make the second line to the needed level, but definitely also a true elite center would be needed to have two elite centers in the manner as the two last champions have had in Crosby-Malkin or Kuznetsov-Bäckström.

It’s probably even possible to win the cup with a lesser number two center, and Stastny might even be good enough, if Laine and Ehlers take a great step forward next season. But unfortunately I see no chance at all to even have as good playoffs run as this season, if the number two center is either Little or Roslovic (at least the starting season he will not be ready for being the number two center consistently). I will be gladly wrong with this, but unfortunately I find it hard to see it happening.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Not really interested in Hayes as has been mentioned we can't afford his next contract. Also no way we give up a promising player with two years left on his ELC for him given our cap crunch.
And he is simply just not good enough for helping the Jets be a true contender. If the Jets really want to be a serious cup contender they should really by all means try to get Tavares. Even if it means losing a couple of very good players and a 1st round pick. The only players I think should be untouchables are Scheifele, Wheeler, Laine and Hellebuyck. Everyone else could in my opinion be used as trade bait to lower the Jets cap hit for getting Tavares and maybe some picks from other teams. If Tavares after all would be really willing to play in Winnipeg. A shame if he wouldn’t be willing to do it though.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
And he is simply just not good enough for helping the Jets be a true contender. If the Jets really want to be a serious cup contender they should really by all means try to get Tavares. Even if it means losing a couple of very good players and a 1st round pick. The only players I think should be untouchables are Scheifele, Wheeler, Laine and Hellebuyck. Everyone else could in my opinion be used as trade bait to lower the Jets cap hit for getting Tavares and maybe some picks from other teams. If Tavares after all would be really willing to play in Winnipeg. A shame if he wouldn’t be willing to do it though.

The Jets shouldn't give up anything for Tavaras as they can talk to him for free in one weeks time. If you want him make your best pitch during that week and see where the chips land. His agent will more than likely advise against signing with anyone until after everyone has been able to make an offer ala what happened with Stamkos.

Reactions: Guyantics

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I remember when Boston was willing to offer multiple first-round picks for Trouba. I still wish that deal happened to this day.

But hope NYR does something stupid like this years' first and maybe next years. We could take Bouchard/Dobson and hopefully Jett Woo in the second round. I truly believe if Woo is healthy he could potentially be better than Trouba.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
The only way I can see Roslovic being moved is if we pick up Tavares or Thornton(or trade for another in a package), which would be absurd... Otherwise he’s likely our future 2C(unless for some reason we end up with a high pick next season and get a high potential Center there).

As for these potential “trade scenarios” no thank you, it’s nothing we don’t already have.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Namestnikov might be a cheaper option, and I think he's a solid player.

Like him since he was drafted. Not your typical Russian as he spent the first 8 years of his life growing up in Salt Lake City until moving back to Russia until he was 16.

Basically a Russian with perfect English skills, that identifies with both cultures. Back when Telegin & Burmistrov were seen as major pieces of the team moving forward I had thought he'd be their perfect compliment.

Were we to start looking to Russia for prospects he'd be a great player to help acclimate young Russians to North America.

Plus he can play very well!

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL

Requiring a star 2nd line center to turn a team that made the conference finals into contenders is overkill. The Jets aren't getting Tavares and don't need Tavares.

If Laine and Ehlers could round out their games a bit more, they could work with a wider variety of players. Right now they're each really good in one or two aspects of the game and really bad in many others. That makes building a line around both of them nearly impossible. Sure, Little was bad in between them but they didn't help the situation at all either.

The Jets need Laine and Ehlers to be more versatile more than they need a star 2nd line center. The answer is likely Roslovic and/or Little combined with continued growth from the young stars.

Reactions: libertarian

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017
Requiring a star 2nd line center to turn a team that made the conference finals into contenders is overkill. The Jets aren't getting Tavares and don't need Tavares.

If Laine and Ehlers could round out their games a bit more, they could work with a wider variety of players. Right now they're each really good in one or two aspects of the game and really bad in many others. That makes building a line around both of them nearly impossible. Sure, Little was bad in between them but they didn't help the situation at all either.

The Jets need Laine and Ehlers to be more versatile more than they need a star 2nd line center. The answer is likely Roslovic and/or Little combined with continued growth from the young stars.

Yes we need laine and ehlers to round out their game, but is having good center depth a bad thing seeing that our window is open right now?

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

I get your point, but that statement seems hyperbolic to me. Both Laine and Ehlers are already multi-dimensional players with strong upside, and Ehlers can already drive a line. I actually think that PoMo's preference for a Sheif/Wheels line, plus the stigma of 1-2-3-4 line hierarchies, forces him to use Laine and Ehlers in some awkward setups. Maybe this year is where we start to see some variety in terms of these options.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Hayes is a decent player, I would take him at the right cost......but that certainly isnt Jack R. Jack is a future core player and his ELC is extremely valuable to us. Rangers could have Myers, one of our B level prospects and a pick which is a equivalent to a mid to late 1st & two mid range picks as far as value goes.

Vesalainen & Jack & Niku are all untouchable due to their cheap ELC & skill.

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
I consider Hayes to be a low level 2C, or closer to a 3C.

Petan and Dano have next to no trade values much as I love both players.

Myers is one year from UFA and in his late 20's I'm sure the Rangers would be trying to add youth and skill and Myers has neither of those.

Reactions: Jets2point0

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Petan and Dano have next to no trade values much as I love both players.

Myers is one year from UFA and in his late 20's I'm sure the Rangers would be trying to add youth and skill and Myers has neither of those.
Sure, so Hayes is probably not a reasonable target due to trade cost and salary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad