Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Neal Pionk signs with the Jets (2 years, $3M AAV)

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
“Advanced stats” can actually be presented and argued in arbitration cases.

Yes, they can. Allan Walsh talked about it in the past.

But, have they truly caught up to the market? Are they really a heavy driving factor behind pay? Probably not in a world where Neal Pionk gets $3M/2Y and Tyler Myers gets $6M/5Y.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
3mil AAV for 2 years? Wow.

I didn't think Pionk was good. I think that this is an unnecessary risk. I'd have waited to see how he actually performs the next season before signing him to such a big money deal.

But, well, I don't have that much experience watching Pionk, so you never really know. That's where it's different from Kulikov for instance, who I had watched a lot and knew it was a terrible signing right from the get go. At least this should be better than that one.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The value is high but the term is good. I can live with that.

This makes Pionk the 108th highest paid defender in the league, tied with Patrick Nemeth. And one spot behind teammate Josh Morrissey.

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I don't hate the term, and only marginally dislike the AAV. My problems are that pro scouting for the Jets seems to be abyssmal, and that the optics make it look like they're overpaying for a marginal defenseman, while nickel-and-diming one of their best, underrated 2-way centers.

I hope they buy out Kulikov's last year of contract.

Reactions: FireChevy

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
I mean, I applaud WPG's confidence in him and trying to make it work, but that's way, way too much money for someone who was borderline garbage last year.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
As much as I didn't like his possession numbers, the biggest issue I had with Pionk w/ the Rangers was his transition game, or lack thereof. Pionk was bad both preventing entries and getting the Rangers out of the zone with possession. Like awful bad.

EDIT: Good for him, getting paid though.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't hate the term, and only marginally dislike the AAV. My problems are that pro scouting for the Jets seems to be abyssmal, and that the optics make it look like they're overpaying for a marginal defenseman, while nickel-and-diming one of their best, underrated 2-way centers.

I hope they buy out Kulikov's last year of contract.

Yeah after the Copp arb goes though they should buy out Kulikov. Saves us $3 mil this year and gives us bout $21 mil for Laine, Connor and Copp. We should also look at moving Perreault for picks if there are any takers.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Wtf has he done to deserve 3mil AAV?

I don’t get it.

GM's over value former Rangers players. Without sounding too cocky it's the whole "get players from a winning stable organization will make us a winning stable organization", which is not exactly true.

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Jets' pro D scouts are pretty damn questionable, so I'm not sure how to feel about this.

They picked out Beaulieu, Morrow, Strait, Kulikov, and a bunch of other bottom feeders. Kuli was okay, but we really just put bargain 7/8 Ds on the 2nd or 3rd pairing and hope for the best. I hope this is different but I won't hold my breath, especially at 3m.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
I understand lots of people saying he's not worth that much, but didn't Evolving Wild project 2yrs @ $2.9M?

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
A lot of overreacting on the first page of this thread. It’s only 2 years. Not great, but not as crippling as some people seem to think.

Reactions: wpgallday1960

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
GM's over value former Rangers players. Without sounding too cocky it's the whole "get players from a winning stable organization will make us a winning stable organization", which is not exactly true.

I guess. But they still need to sign Laine and Connor. Figured they’d be more disciplined in their other signings

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
Jets' pro D scouts are pretty damn questionable, so I'm not sure how to feel about this.

They picked out Beaulieu, Morrow, Strait, Kulikov, and a bunch of other bottom feeders. Kuli was okay, but we really just put bargain 7/8 Ds on the 2nd or 3rd pairing and hope for the best. I hope this is different but I won't hold my breath, especially at 3m.
Not crazy about the $ but didn't their scouts also pick Trouba, Morrissey, Niku, Samburg, Poolman......they didn't pick Pionk

Reactions: The Big M

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad