Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Jets re-sign Poolman (3 years, $775k AAV) and Dano (1 year, $800k AAV)

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
I'm really flattered that you think so highly of a Jets player and all, but Lowry is no Couturier, and if a player like him is playing an offensive role on your team, you're probably cheering for the Habs.
I'd advise you to look @ my location as well as my username. :laugh: Living in the area I watch almost every Jets game so am very familiar with the players.

& I'm not comparing Lowry's offensive abilities to those of Couts or J Staal but stating both those 2 were being referred to as only 3rd line centers while dismissing what they did in shutting down other teams best offensive players. There's a lot to be said for a center that plays like a 3rd good D neutralizing the best the other team has to offer.

I don't expect Lowry to ever challenge Scheifele for that #1 C role but if you give credit where due he's 1 of the best @ his assigned job. If the GTA centric media ever start paying more than lip service to the Jets I could see a Selke in Lowry's future.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I'm really flattered that you think so highly of a Jets player and all, but Lowry is no Couturier, and if a player like him is playing an offensive role on your team, you're probably cheering for the Habs.
Fun fact: Lowry had a higher P/60 this season than Couturier has ever had in any season in his career.

If this past season was a mirage, Lowry is a center worth his contract. So not a dime-a-dozen player, and losing him in the expansion draft would have hurt.

However, this past season one of his closest comparable players 5v5 was probably Patrice Bergeron. Roughly the same shot metrics, roughly the same production per 60, both employed in the same manner. So not a dime-a-dozen player.

Note, I'm not saying that Lowry=Bergeron. I think Bergeron is a top 5 center in the league. I'd be shocked if Lowry can have a full season like the one he just finished.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
I'd advise you to look @ my location as well as my username. :laugh: Living in the area I watch almost every Jets game so am very familiar with the players.

& I'm not comparing Lowry's offensive abilities to those of Couts or J Staal but stating both those 2 were being referred to as only 3rd line centers while dismissing what they did in shutting down other teams best offensive players. There's a lot to be said for a center that plays like a 3rd good D neutralizing the best the other team has to offer.

I don't expect Lowry to ever challenge Scheifele for that #1 C role but if you give credit where due he's 1 of the best @ his assigned job. If the GTA centric media ever start paying more than lip service to the Jets I could see a Selke in Lowry's future.

If the Selke trophy goes back to actually being awarded to the best defensive forward instead of only two-way (60+ point) players, I could maybe see Lowry contending for it down the line, but even if they went back to that, correctly predicting hardware for almost any player is ridiculously hard. I mean, he's definitely not the best defensive forward in the NHL right now, and I feel like a players future defensive abilities can't be predicted with any reliability either. It's something they'll either have or wont have, and I'd honestly rather the Jets have taken a gamble on one of the talented d-men who were available at 13th overall. Especially with this whole Trouba situation now, they need D more than ever.

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
Why has this thread become about Lowry?

Good signings on both Dano and Poolman. Dano gets a shot to stick and take Armia's spot. Poolman lost money in the short term (i.e years two and three) to increase his chance of keeping his spot on the big club and having a legitimate NHL career rather than just a short term spot whenever someone is hurt. Both are good for the Jets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad