Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Jets re-sign Kyle Connor (7 years, $7.142857M AAV)

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Solid deal for the Jets. Very happy they got this done and at a long term and reasonable AAV.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
This is just way too much money. Yes, you think that Connor's scored enough to earn a contract like this, but he's almost exclusively played with Wheeler and Scheifele, who massively outscore him. And no, Connor certainly isn't the Landeskog type.

bring back the jets

Oct 30, 2010
More than he's worth IMO but I'm glad he's signed

Does Winnipeg still have gondala pizza? I haven't been back since my Dad died 15 years ago but every friend I grew up with in Vancouver that was from the Peg like me, we would have to bring some back for the rest. Good times.

We do but they are all super rundown these days. I still like the pizza though

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Better player than Laine but many people dont wanna admit it.
I always wonder why this seems to be general opinion. Laine has almost as many career goals as Connor has career points? Both started in 2016-17. Both have almost the same career PPG: 0,78 for Laine, 0,72 for Connor. A lot of the points for both players come from mutual plays, so they support each other well. 60 % of Laine's goals are even strength goals, and 71 % for Connor. Their career even strength Corsi For % is almost identical: 48,3 % for Laine, 48,9 % for Connor.

In fact, looking at almost ANY kind of metric/statistic, they are basically identical. The only difference is in that Laine has more points from goals, while Connor from assists (roughly 80 % primary, career).

Last edited:
Reactions: Eyeseeing

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
Sick deal. Better player than Nylander, 0.2 mill more but with 1 more year term. Didn't even sit out a single game.
Nylander signed for 45 million for 6 years which is 7.5 million a year. The AAV is just under 7 million for the next 5 years because he signed mid year. The Leaf's paid the extra aav last year because he signed mid year. Doesn't change the fact his average salary for the contract is 7.5 million. It just changed that a lot was added to the first year. If Leaf's didn't have to pay over 10 million last year for Nylander they could of done more at the trade deadline to increase their chances to win last years cup. So although the overpay last year helps the next 5 years it hurt last season.

Reactions: sharkhawk

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
Connor plays with better linemates. but Laine gets to be the focal point of the PP.

So it evens out ...
In fairness Laine is 2 years younger than Connor. A fair comparison would be comparing where Conner was 2 years ago rather than comparing a 22 to a 20 year old. I want both to continue to develop but Laine likely has the biggest room for improvement because of his age. Only time will tell how both continue to develop.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
With a long term deal like this you have to look at what the player is like halfway through it. He’s probably a $8/9m player by then so yeh. Good deal.

Reactions: wpgallday1960

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Friedman said the Jets were using the Nylander deal of 6.96 x 6 buying out one UFA year as the NHL comparable. The Jets were able to get 3 UFA years at 7.14 x 7 for a more productive player. This was an outstanding contract given the comparable. Better player, better term, better value. Excellent job by Chevy in this negotiation.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
This is just way too much money. Yes, you think that Connor's scored enough to earn a contract like this, but he's almost exclusively played with Wheeler and Scheifele, who massively outscore him. And no, Connor certainly isn't the Landeskog type.
Lol

Reactions: rubikscube

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont

And he was also only 21-22 when he did that. He will only get better and as he builds more confidence and strength. Do I think he will be a 90+ pt winger? Probably not, but for what he brings to the ice that’s a good, and league comparable contract.

Reactions: libertarian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad