Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Jets re-sign Kyle Connor (7 years, $7.142857M AAV)

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Laine's dream of playing on the top line lasted for, what, maybe 24 hours?

Beat me to it

Also, Connor deal makes me happy, guys the real deal in more than one situation.

I like the Laine Deal as well, he gets to prove something as a man now and can get paid after that as a man.

Now we can just watch and see if our coaching can adjust with the GREAT tools we have, if we lose more than win, we can upgrade our coaching.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Hard to fault this contract. But, curious if it would have been smarter to give to Laine and bridge Connor.
You don't give out contracts you negotiate them. Laine's camp pushed for a Bridge as they weren't willing to go long term after a down year that deflated the players value. Connor's camp wanted a long term deal, possibly due to the player coming off a season of ideal usage put him in a good position for a longer term.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Yikes.

Connor is going to be one of best Best American players for the next decade.
It's not the 90's anymore. There's a lot of American players that are legitimate stars now. Connor is a good first line player, but he's not in the same tier as the top guys. He probably makes the national team on the bottom 6, if at all.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
It's not the 90's anymore. There's a lot of American players that are legitimate stars now. Connor is a good first line player, but he's not in the same tier as the top guys. He probably makes the national team on the bottom 6, if at all.
so top six is within the top ten over the next decade... good work backing up my claim.

middle 12

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Hm. Connor is a great player. Laine is potentially the best goal scorer in the league moving forward.

I completely get your point here but Laine's numbers 5 on 5 (so far) have to be a little bit of a red flag, regular numbers and advanced stats.

If I had to choose one for my team, I think I am taking the better all around player in Kyle Connor.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
He said he’ll be worth it in a few. You would never pay 7m+ to a 30-35year old 60pts scorer, so they are definitely paying for the potential and expect his totals to rise.

Pavelski just got 7m (x 3 years) coming off a 64 pt season (and 60ish pts the past 3 years) and he's 35

Reactions: Jedub

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Hard to fault this contract. But, curious if it would have been smarter to give to Laine and bridge Connor.

I don't think Laine and his agent sign that long of a deal at that number. Patty knows if he does go off these next 2 years that he could cash in bigger on the next deal. If the Jets could have gotten Laine long term for only a few hundred 1000 more then I'm sure that would have happened.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Pavelski just got 7m (x 3 years) coming off a 64 pt season (and 60ish pts the past 3 years) and he's 35

Pavelski’s season was 70pts / 82 games pace though, but I see your point. It still might be a bit of an overpayment, but if you have the capspace sometimes you might have to over pay. For what is worth I personally think this Connor contract is more than fine and fully expect his point totals to increase into 70-80pts range this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad